What's new

Favorite Powerhouse Scent

Wish I could offend with 1980s Paco Rabanne, but no more. Today's PR is polite by comparison.

I wish today's PR was the same as the 80s. I tried it at a JFK airport duty free shop this past summer while waiting for flight. I was sooooo disappointed. Not only was it weak, it was a totally different scent.

I think we probably need a definition of "powerhouse."

For instance, I am not at all sure that any scent that is in current release that was truly a powerhouse scent in, say, the 70s/80s, in the current formulation could be considered a powerhouse scent.

That said, maybe vintage Antaeus. But I loved lots of them.

Van Cleef and Arpels pour homme is a powerhouse in my book. Lapidus and Kouros seem quite powerful. Lots of others are quite watered down though. Some are easy to find vintage, like Polo green and Halston z14.

I think we probably need a definition of "powerhouse."

For instance, I am not at all sure that any scent that is in current release that was truly a powerhouse scent in, say, the 70s/80s, in the current formulation could be considered a powerhouse scent.

That said, maybe vintage Antaeus. But I loved lots of them.

There are no restrictions on my definition of a "powerhouse", as long as this was the first one you remember being your all time favorite. For myself a powerhouse scent would be one that clobbers you over the head and makes you remember it forever. For those of us fortunate enough to remember original 1980's formulations of some classic powerhouse scents then we have an unfair advantage.

Another great Powerhouse:

$ml.jpg

For me: PdN - New York Intense - I deeply love it. It's not so much a blockbuster powerhouse, but it still is very obviously room-filling.

Other notable choices (all of which I love): Eucris, Blenheim Bouquet, Knize 10, English Fern

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
My Knize 10 laughs to scorn all the wimpy so-called powerhouse scents mentioned so far.

Back in the 80s, when there was a large roster of powerhouse scents, Lagerfeld and Azzaro pH stood out. Nowadays, far fewer fragrances have the bold scents, projection and longevity that were the norm back then. That said, there are a few that I would consider powerhouses, and some that smell great besides. Most anything from Montale would qualify; my favorites being Patchouli Leaves, Black Aoud and Oud Suir d'Arabie. Another that I absolutely love is Christian Dior Leather Oud, although the opening blast of civet isn't for everyone. I agree with those who brought up Lalique Encre Noire, as it compares favorably with the big 70s/80s fragrances.

Halston Z-14 is pretty good and stands out.

I really like Azzaro PH and it works well with Fine American Blend AS.

Sung Homme still is one you have to be careful with as to me it is a beast. Too many sprays and you will be in a purple fog.

If you liked the old Drakkar Noir pick up a bottle of Belcam's Classic Match clone of Drakkar Noir - you will not regret it and it has both projection and longevity.

Polo Green gave temporary blindness every time a roommate of mine would go out on a date. I like Antaeus. It's a "boss" scent. I tried the reformulated version and it stuck to my clothing for days. It's a little scary at first then settles into a very powerful work scent. I've only used a tester and I felt like the Magician's Apprentice.

Top Bottom