What's new

Favorite Aristocrat?

Hi experts. Any thoughts on what this one is? Just a 1934 US with no plate on the handle? I ask because it looks like copper instead of brass.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433004371.517688.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433004506.398758.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433004601.749365.jpg

Thanks!

Ahh, thanks guys!

It has a weird knob issue, something must be broken in the handle. When trying to open the doors the knobs drops down about 1/4" and the doors stay closed. Push the knob up and the doors open perfectly. Tighten it like normal and the knob goes up and the doors close.

Ever seen one with this issue before? It shaves great so it's a keeper either way. I'd get it a resto and replate if the knob situation can be fixed.

Ahh, thanks guys!

It has a weird knob issue, something must be broken in the handle. When trying to open the doors the knobs drops down about 1/4" and the doors stay closed. Push the knob up and the doors open perfectly. Tighten it like normal and the knob goes up and the doors close.

Ever seen one with this issue before? It shaves great so it's a keeper either way. I'd get it a resto and replate if the knob situation can be fixed.

Try this:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...r-British-Aristocrat-15?p=2491267#post2491267

Reactions: ICS
Wow, honestly a 20 second fix. I dumbed it down to wrapping coated wire around the handle and squeezing with a Channel Lock in a few places.

Thank you so much!

Glad to hear your first shave with the #15 went well. I just got mine too and have only had one shave…and what a shave it was…perfect.

Prior to this I had been waxing eloquent about my #21 and both are basically the same but with different comb design.

The #21 is amazing but I enjoyed the #15 more (might be the novelty effect, I'll have to try it more often).

Somehow the 15 feels less aggressive than the 21 when I plough through lather. It may have something to do with the angle I use…I definitely have to use a much steeper angle with the #15…but what amazed me was that I experienced no irritation or post shave distress. I usually dislike open combs but this one I like…a lot!

And I could tell it was an exceptional shave because my cheeks (and neck) were still smooth even at the end of the day.

i would need your help to differentiate #15 and #21....I am trying to see the different comb design but I do not succeeded ...
I have one of them...:) on top mine is 73 gr and Mr Razor stated 72 or 74 gr....

thanks

Tam

Last edited:
i would need your help to differentiate #15 and #21....I am trying to see the different comb design but I do not succeeded ...
I have one of them...:) on top mine is 73 gr and Mr Razor stated 72 or 74 gr....

thanks

Tam
There's one exception but, usually #15 sets - OC razor, #21 sets - SB razor. Pretty easy to distinguish.

Hi Nuclearblast, this is not what i understood looking at

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece solid guard bar/solid guard bar.htm

that s why i am hesitating...

?

tam

The easiest way to start understanding, is knowing that the numbers refer to sets (case + razor) and not to the razors themselves. The same razor was often sold in many different sets, and the UK OC Aristocrats are a great example. For example, the razor in the #15 set is the exact same as the one in the #19 set, and others. The differences are the cases and/or plating.

There's 4 Generations of UK Aristocrats:

1st - OC, solid baseplate, crimped handle
2nd - SB, solid baseplate, crimped handle
3rd - SB, solid baseplate, rocket-style handle
4th - SB, diamond stamped baseplate, rocket-style handle

The 1st and 2nd Generations both have a #15 set, and this is the exception I was talking about.

If you don't have a case, you don't have a set. If your razor is OC it's a 1st Generation Aristocrat, a SB is a 2nd Generation Aristocrat.

If it's a SB and even if you don't have a case, I guess you can say it's a #21 because that's the only 2nd Generation set that I'm aware of, apart from the exception I mentioned above. I don't know if those were even sold in Europe.

If your razor is OC and you don't have a case, it could have been sold in quite a few different sets, although the #15 is the most common.

If you do have a case, it should be easy to ID. It's everything on Achim's site.

Last edited:

Both the #15 and the #21 in my possession have an open barrel…meaning there is a hole at the bottom of the handle.

When I look at the #21, I can clearly see a screw that is part of the TTO (twist-to-turn) mechanism….but when I stare into the barrel opening of the #15, I do not see any such screw…only darkness….I wonder if that is another distinguishing characteristic (although the comb design clearly seems to be the most obvious).

Well, gents, a couple of shaves with my (long searched for) Aristocrat #16....

With an Iridium Super + MWF.

VERY nice, for sure:tongue_sm. It's mild, really mild, and efficient. Reminds me of a Rocket HD 500? And... seems to be less "aggressive" than my Aristocrat Jr #49? I will have to investigate.

Sturdy, shiny and beautiful. After the first pass my ugly mug was more than decently shaved...Have to try it with a Feather.

Very glad to have got it. So far my favourite Aristocrat!

Last edited:
Congrats Juan! Those 16's are a delight. I consider them the best TTO ever made. As you said mild yet very efficient. Seems like it's barely working but shaves whiskers off like some of the more aggressive non-TTOs. They are easy on the eyes as well. :lol:

Top Bottom