What's new

Fatboy February

I saw that some MWF lovers might be doing a Fat February. While I haven't used that particular soap yet, I thought I would steal the idea and do a Fatboy February (although I may cheat a little on SE Sundays).

Feel free to post if you want to join me. I hope you all will include three things in your initial post.
  1. Date Code of your Fatboy you plan to use
  2. Setting(s) Most commonly used
  3. Picture of the Fatboy you plan to use
  4. Has Captain Murphy serviced your Fatboy directly or helped you to do it yourself?

I'll try to log everyone's entries. If you want to post SOTD info here, I'll try to keep a running tally of everyone's shaves for the month. If you want to add a tagline to your signature to indicate participation, let's use FBF15.

Here are our entries so far
MemberYear / Date CodeSetting(s)Captain Murphy
Treatment
# Shaves
gwsmallwood1960 F210/11Yes
zed1171959 / 19617 - 7 - 5Yes
skypsyd1961 G17/8Planned
TADIII1958 D3
panther3081960 F37 - 7 - 5/6No
Vespasian1960 F4
Rasputin1960 F45/6Yes
jedimojeaux1959 E16/7
nomex1958 D39
89err1960 F46Yes
rsitnick1961 G34/5No
Joe_Karp1961 G19 - 7
Rai Tech1959 E47No
JimmyTheChooch1960 F25Yes
aspirin541960 F15Yes
Nick 551961 G1No
Penknight1958 / 1959
Inari71960 F35/6Yes
forrestgump1958 D4No
phillysco1961 G26 - 8No

Last edited:
I'll start.

1960 F2 Fatboy aka The Jolly Green Giant

This one has had the Captain Murphy treatment. Lazy door repair, complete cleaning and polishing, custom blade gaps so mine are 2 levels higher than normal, and a touch of HUD Green paint.

$100_3728_1.jpg

gws, this thread me laugh out loud (in real life, not internet life :laugh:)

I applaud you, And, can't believe this hasn't been proposed, already!!

Enjoy the month that is hard for me to spell, still!! :thumbup:

i have been using Straight Razors, for the last month and a half, But, I miss this kind of stuff!! (The DE section, IMO, is Very Friendly)

The last cased FB that I bought, is a graduation gift. Haven't given it to him yet, but, I am pretty Satisfied with it......And, looking forward to it.

FBF Sounds right to me.

OK, Garrett I'm in:thumbup1: for Fatboy February

1961 (G1) aka : "Cecil's Tribute"

When I re-entered back into wet shaving after a 25 yr journey to the dark side of goop and cartridge shaving, I had inquired to my SWMBO if her father who had passed away in 1989, had wet shaved. After about a month of persistence she finally went and looked through some of her fathers items, and much to my dismay all she found was a nice old can of Brut 33 shave foam, and a Track II handle.

but just being who she is about an hour later she asked me to look under the sink of my shave den, and low and behold was this. In the shape that you see now, plus an old Vintage Made-Rite brush, a full bottle of Brut 33 AS, two un opened pucks of Old Spice shave soap ( still in packaging today), and two unopened and boxed glass bottles of Old Spice. It had not been touched since it was bought in New York in 1961. He had shaved with it a few times and moved on to the modern conveniences, all of this told to us by my MIL, as she had bought it for him as a birthday present.

have been planning to send it to the Capt, but now I will send it to him in March for a General check-up

So, I would be honored to shave with it for a whole month as a tribute to Cecil.
$image.jpg

Last edited:
OK, Garrett I'm in:thumbup1: for Fatboy February

1961 (G1) aka : "Cecil's Tribute"

When I re-entered back into wet shaving after a 25 yr journey to the dark side of goop and cartridge shaving, I had inquired to my SWMBO if her father who had passed away in 1989, had wet shaved. After about a month of persistence she finally went and looked through some of her fathers items, and much to my dismay all she found was a nice old can of Brut 33 shave foam, and a Track II handle.

but just being who she is about an hour later she asked me to look under the sink of my shave den, and low and behold was this. In the shape that you see now, plus an old Vintage Made-Rite brush, a full bottle of Brut 33 AS, two un opened pucks of Old Spice shave soap ( still in packaging today), and two unopened and boxed glass bottles of Old Spice. It had not been touched since it was bought in New York in 1961. He had shaved with it a few times and moved on to the modern conveniences, all of this told to us by my MIL, as she had bought it for him as a birthday present.

have been planning to send it to the Capt, but now I will send it to him in March for a General check-up

So, I would be honored to shave with it for a whole month as a tribute to Cecil.
View attachment 541510

Awesome. That's the type if stuff I was hoping to hear about. I keep hoping a relative will stumble upon some hidden treasure now that they know I'm looking for them, but no luck so far.

Hmmm...This could be a combination "Fatboy February" and "One Blade February." Mine is a D3, and I have a Personna 74* looking for a job.

Hmmm...This could be a combination "Fatboy February" and "One Blade February." Mine is a D3, and I have a Personna 74* looking for a job.

I concur! Combine this with one-blade February and use a single blade in your Fatboy all month!

I to have been using straights for the past several months and have this Bad Boy in the drawer feeling lonely so I'm in

Gillette F-3 and the Captain has not touched this one as I was lucky enough to find one in decent shape.

$IMG_2218.jpg

My F-4 Fatboy is the only razor I use, so I'm in by default. No picture handy right now. I've been using this one for a year now; I bought it unrestored but in very nice condition on-line.

When I was 14, I was given a new Gillette 195 by the stewardess on a United flight; all the men got one, women perfume. I tried to teach myself to shave - ouch - and I finally figured it out. I used that razor for 20+ years until I stupidly lost it.

Then I fell into the Dark Years - blue Bics, Mach 3s - until I saw the light a year ago and bought my "new" F-4. I love it. Great shaves from one of the high points of American consumer engineering.

We had a request for some additional information, which I liked. I updated the OP, but please add your most commonly used settings to the list. For instance, I pretty much always use mine at 8 or 9, however my Fatboy has custom blade gaps that are 2 levels higher than most, so my most common settings would be 10 or 11.

I have also added a table to the OP of the current entries and I will try to keep it update as we go.

We had a request for some additional information, which I liked. I updated the OP, but please add your most commonly used settings to the list. For instance, I pretty much always use mine at 8 or 9, however my Fatboy has custom blade gaps that are 2 levels higher than most, so my most common settings would be 10 or 11.

I have also added a table to the OP of the current entries and I will try to keep it update as we go.

Holy cow! that is Aggressive! I like mine on a 7 WTG, 7 ATG, 5 ATG

Holy cow! that is Aggressive! I like mine on a 7 WTG, 7 ATG, 5 ATG

You have to keep it in perspective. If you believe the wiki entries, then the Gillette Adjustables at 9 are in between a Futur 1 and 2, so I'm probably shaving with something similar to a Futur around 3 (which incidentally makes me want to try a Futur on 5 or 6 just to feel the difference).

Another good suggestion for those of us participating. If you would like to use a signature tag to indicate your participation, let's use FBF15.

Ok, I'm in. This seems like a great opportunity to try out my re-plated F4 Fatboy that was a joint effort by CAP, and Chris at Razorplate. For grins and giggles, I'll stick with one type of soap.

Top Bottom