What's new

Fatboy February 2017

E-1 Fatboy Feather (28)

For the last 2 shaves I did something different. I usually leave my Fatboy on 9 no matter what blade or how old it is. The Feather wasn't doing well with a steep angle, so I switched to 5 forcing me to use a more shallow angle. The last 2 days I shaved half my head on 5 and the other half on 9. Yesterday for the first pass 9 got me much closer than 5, but on the second pass the 5 side caught up and gave almost as good of a shave as 9. I switched sides today. The difference between the two was much less noticeable on the first pass and dead even for the second.

I'm really kind of surprised by this. I guess if you stick to a shallow angle there is little difference between settings. I think I'm going to keep this blade in the fatty and continue my experiment over the next few Fatboy Fridays. This has been a fun and learning challenge, but I am ready for a new razor and blade tomorrow.

Still not decided, but I think my first shave of March will probably be the Fatip Grande.
I was thinking the same thing, since the Fatip is going to be the razor of the month (Except mine is a Piccolo). But, my E type injector has really been calling too and I've picked up a Super Adjustable that I still haven't tried or maybe my Clog Pruf I've only used it a couple of times. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Day 28

G1 Gillette FatBoy Executive
Gillette Silver Blue
Soap La Savonniere du Moulin
Aftershave Hai Karate
Brush horse Hair

Well my Last shave with the fatboy for the month, and I must say I will carry on with the fatboy and the GSB blades.
I have enjoyed this month Thanks Garrett.

20170219_171434.jpg

And here is the 4 Fatboys I used this month, but the G1 Gillette FatBoy Executive I thought was not going to play as the head became lose after my son dropped it.

So a strip down and repair job and while I was at it gave her a new coat of gold, just got the black to do on the numbers and red on the spring

20170219_171805.jpg 20170219_171744.jpg 20170219_171621.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Post FB Feb.: Shaved with 1912-made silverplate ABC OLD.

1. Gave audible feedback with same LORD blade.
2. Didn't have to clean it / shake out water.
3. Got under nose better.
4. Lighter, more nimble razor.

Love the nostalgia of the FB - it's good for you.

It's one stop along the journey; one chocolate in the box; one part of a variety that makes an overall experience great.

Thanks for organizing the trip, gwsmallwood.

AA

My Fatboy Feb:
'61
14 shaves
all with Astra SP (double dipping with one blade challange)
1 Tabac, 2 Razorrock Don Marco, 4 Ogallala Bay Rum Orange, and 7 Captain's Choice North
3 with a WD Synthetic Brush, and the other 11 with Semogue 620

This morning's 3/1 shave:

'56 B4 Blue Tip Superspeed
Fresh Personna Red blade
Rooney Pure Badger
Chiseled Face Groomatorium Tradewinds soap
CVS Spice Scent aftershave

It was actually fun to use a new razor this morning, after a month of nothing but the Fatboy! I picked up this Blue Tip about a week and a half ago, cleaned it up, and have been wanting to try it. Yes, it is a very mild shaver, but, that means almost no irritation and oopses. I did find myself using a little more pressure with it, so I'll need to be careful when i rotate to another razor next week. Maybe I'll ease into that transition with one of my Techs...

I don't have enough good things to say about the CVS Old Spice knock-off. I tried the new P&G Old Spice, a few months ago, and hated it. After reading about the CVS stuff, I decided it would be worth a try, and I'm glad I did. It is a pleasant Old Spice scent without all the chemical smell, and 8 hours later, it still smells nice. It has mellowed out nicely throughout the day. The only negative I have is the bottle - it's a cheap, plastic bottle with a squirt tip, which is somewhat positive as there's no wasting the a/s. I'll be on the hunt for a vintage OS bottle when I'm out with antiquing with my wife now.

This is also the first time I've used Tradewinds - nothing much to say here. It's an excellent soap, just like all the other Chiseled Face soaps I've tried, and the scent is sort of similar to Summer Storm, but it smells a lot cleaner, if that makes sense.

Sorry to be long winded here. I've really enjoyed participating in Fatboy February with everyone!

March first shave.
This morning when I looked at my razors to decide what to use, the 46-47 Aristocrat is what jumped out and said use me. I popped in an Astra SP that had 2 shaves on it. Very mild razor, but still got me to DFS.

Top Bottom