What's new

Face wash or bar soap?

Lately a bar of soap and some glycerin or body butter. I've been using Tree Hut Coconut Lime Shea Body Butter everywhere I feel dry from face to hands. Its not thick or greasy and it leaves my face soft. Perhaps too soft. I've been meaning to ask...do any of you ever notice that you can feel too soft. I mean, I like clean, and I like not feeling chapped burnt skin. But using all this stuff sometimes makes my skin feel...:blushing:...soft. If I got into a brawl right now my face might split like the red sea it gets so soft. Can I rub it with sandpaper after washing and moisturizing...or should I rub it with sandpaper before, or should I just smear some dirt in my face and snarl.:em2700::eek2::pirate:

any bar of high quality french soap. I just let it absorb into the face and refresh with water. It cleanses and moisturizes.

I have really dry skin and I really just prefer a bar of olive oil soap such as Kiss My Face. Works really well for me.

J.

My skin might be ultra sensitive to the sulfates in liquid face washes because they destroy my skin with dryness. For that reason, nothing works better for me than Dove beauty bar (sensitive, no fragrance).

I use Anthony's Glycolic in the evening and Cetaphil Gentle in the morning prior to shaving. Cetaphil makes for a great preshave wash up, I usually leave it on my face while I lather up my brush then rinse it prior to lathering, seems to help prep the hair just right. Regular soaps tend to dry out my skin a little to much while the cleaners leave it smoother and softer.

I find gentle face washing is better when done more often and combined with a light moisturizer.

I found a fantastic facewash from Desert Essence with Tea Tree Oil. It works really well and keeps my skin from getting too dry.

+1

I found this at Trader Joes and love it. It can be expensive at certain store ($10 for 12 oz or so) or cheap ($6 at Trader Joes) or dirt cheap! ($12 for 32 oz without a pump at a health food store).

Good stuff, good value.

BTW, I also have Anthony Logistics Face soap, and must say it is amazing!!!

Well, you really can't lump all bar soap into one category. There is a huge difference, and many aren't even soap, but detergents. I would never use Irish SPring on my face, but a nice french soap is very good for your skin.

www.beautypedia.com or www.cosmeticcop.com has some really good info on reading the ingredients and not getting drawn in by the packaging or buzzwords as those have nothing to do with performance. I learned lots about skin care and ingredients and formulation. She needs to update the men's stuff as she concentrates mainly on women's skincare but some products are genderless anyways.

If enough readers ask maybe she will really do a comprehensive review of men's grooming.

Last edited:
Any kind of 'soap' leaves residue on my skin and causes me to break out. I have very sensitive skin and even if you don't it's best to keep your skin as natural as possible. Using a sensitive face wash is recommended!

I just use this...

proxy.php

Face & body.. My nose hasn't fallen off yet so I can't see why I'd need all that other frou-frou stuff...

Ditto on the Kirk's. Also available in fragrance free. Great soap.

I wash my face in the shower with various Neutrogena products (not the amber soap though...I use either the grapefruit scrub or the "soothing" wash), and use the exfoliating scrub every other day (the non shave days). At night I use Anthony Logistics face wash, and Kiehl's blue astringent to tone. On shave days I use either Musgo Real Lime or Proraso Sul Fil do Rasoio (or whatever it's called) in the shower as part of my prep. I just "listen" to my skin, really...if I have any breakouts, I use the salicylic acid washes, if not, just the Anthony's.

Since I changed to Yarleys bath soap I just use it on my face. I shower daily at night and shave 3-4 times a week. So in the morning I spash warm water on my face and clean the sleep out of my eyes. a splash of WH then AS and I fix my Flat top and I am on the way.

Top Bottom