What's new

Evolution of the Merkur Progress

When I acquired a beautiful Hoffritz slant razor I ran into a complete brick wall in trying to determine its vintage due to the lack of serial numbers and paucity of reliable information online. Dovo, which owns Merkur, seems to have published nothing which would help the Merkur collector.

Having now a acquired a lovely gold Progress I'm looking at that same brick wall and hoping for some help in knocking it down.

Based on all the previous threads here on B&B and other research I could find, here's what I know:

According to Dovo staff, the Progress was introduced in 1955. As can be seen from this 1956 catalog entry, the early Progress featured a plastic guard plate matching the cream plastic knob.

proxy.php
proxy.php

I don't know how long this version was produced, or when distribution by Hoffritz may have begun. Here is a Hoffritz version spotted in the wild a few years ago.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

What I know is by 1978, and perhaps substantially earlier, the plastic guard plate was lost, while the rest of the design appears unchanged. This is the version I have. It weighs 81.5g

proxy.php
proxy.php

According to Dovo, this version was produced through 1985, when "Germany" was replaced by "West Germany". The simple font was also changed.

proxy.php

Prior to this time the instructions for the razor indicated "Made in West Germany" but not the razor itself. As a matter of related interest, it was also in 1985 that Merkur production of the Futur began.

Presumably, following unification from 1990 the printing was again changed to say "Germany".

Hoffritz ceased distribution of Merkur in 1992.

The current version of the Progress, no longer available in gold or nickel, features another modified font, unpainted numbers, and a smaller Merkur logo now contained in a circle.
proxy.php

The shaft within the handle is now all metal, replacing plastic at some point in the razor's evolution.

Most recently, new molds were produced and minor cosmetic changes introduced to the alignment indicators.

That my friend is all I've got. If anyone has a Progress of any vintage predating the current version I would love to see photos, and any help in filling in dating info would benefit all Progress collectors going forward.

Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Excellent story.. It would be nice to see Merkur re-tool again and give the Progress a knurled handle for better grip and control.
Seems Merkur doesn't move too fast. Maybe we'll see a 75th anniversary edition.

Thanks for posting that. The Progress is a great razor. I like the Mergress style knob but the plastic knob doesn't bother me.
I like the Digress knob on the current production but was floored how nice the cream plastic looks with the gold, and fascinated that it had originally been accompanied by a matching guard plate. Makes more sense to me now.

Excellent story.. It would be nice to see Merkur re-tool again and give the Progress a knurled handle for better grip and control.
The new Parker adjustable razor has resolved this and it is a very smooth shaver, but quite heavy and more aggressive compared to the standard Progress.

A picture of a BMW 507 dashboard shows the similarities of the materials used for the Progress adjustment knob and the steering wheel and knobs on the dashboard. A German design thing.
proxy.php

proxy.php

The new Parker adjustable razor has resolved this and it is a very smooth shaver, but quite heavy and more aggressive compared to the standard Progress.

I am away from my usual haunts and chose to bring along my Merkur Progress for shaving this week and getting absolutely excellent results. I truly wish Parker would produce a version of the Variant with a ~3" handle...it would be perfect!

What a great thread, thank you for taking the time and making the effort.

I wonder about the plastic on the earliest model. I wonder if anyone know or can tell whether it was nylon and not plastic?

I found a Merkur Progress a few years ago that looks almost identical compared to your golden razor. I assume my razor is silver plated and from the late 1950ies or early 1960ies:
21802437wz.jpg
21802436eu.jpg
21802508qp.jpg

It has a plastic knob and the colour of the plastic looks almost like ivory. The numbers are coloured in red. Please notice that there is no plastic on the bottom of the razors head anymore.

I also owned another Merkur Progress hat a do not own anymore.

You post a picture here where one can read "W-Germany" underneat the head. My Merkur Progress that I sold had a round dot at the place where yours reads the letter "W", so no "W" was readable there anymore.

Here is an example:

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t82/Mer2112/progress1.jpg

Dovo replaced the old, worn out moulds a few years back.

These are the versions that I know that are not discussed here yet.

What a fantastic write up on the history of the Progress.

It's often forgotten how old the Progress is since it is still in production and available...However, it's from the era of vintage Gillette adjustables. I prefer the Progress above any and all Gillette vintage adjustables.

Top Bottom