What's new

EvilZeg Shave Journal

Great shaving journal! I doubt I'd be able to keep notes as well as you are. Sounds like you're doing really well with your straights!

I'm just about to try my hand at a straight razor, and got a pair of them on BST. I'm excited, and yet a little nervous. But, I'll bet the nerves will calm down after a couple of strokes.

A couple of thoughts...

I noticed one of your posts regarding a lather that was a bit dry. I'm no genius, when it comes to lathering. But, I just stumbled across the wiki thread detailing how to make uber-lather. Might want to check it out. I plan to use it with my straights to make sure I have proper lubrication and less irritation. Basically, you lather with soap, then mix in a little cream and a bit of glycerin. The lather gets really nice and thick, and super-slick. Can't wait to try it, even with my DE! If you search around, people really seem to love the uber-lather. If you can't find pure glycerin, you can order it online or (apparently) use some "personal lubricant" instead, since they're usually mostly glycerin. I found a bottle at Target by asking the guy at the pharmacy counter. They keep it behind the counter. Just say it's for making huge bubbles with kids, or something, if they ask.

I also have been doing a bit of homebrewing, having just bottled my 4th batch. I love it! I just wish I had a little more money to brew more often. But my brews have turned out to be really great. I've done two all-grain batches, and they're really not as bad as I had originally anticipated. Have you discovered the HBT forums, yet? They're an invaluable resource for homebrewers. What did you brew?

Thanks for the compliment.

I have tried the uber lather in the past, found some glycerin at a hobby shop. I'l give it a try agian this weekend. What I failed to note in the times when the lather was dry was the amount of time spent loading the brush, in these instances I believe my ratio of product to water was incorrect.

My wife got me the Brooklyn Brew Shop kit from Williams and Sonoma. I got the Everyday IPA kit, and the first bottle should be ready to try this weekend. Waiting in the wings is a batch of Simcoe IPA and Smoked Cherry Ale. Their book, Brooklyn Brew Shop Beer Making Book has alot of good information and recipes. Since I'm the only one in the house that drinks beer the 1 gallon batches are perfect. I can try many different types with very little invested in ingredients, and once I perfect a recipe and feel the need to make a large batch then I will invest in a large carboy. I will have to check out the forums you mention, thanks.

Have a good day.

Jim

Good shave last night.

Wielded my Ernst White

Stropped on my T.M. Heirloom Steer w/ Linen

25 Linen/25Leather

Lathered up with QCS Basilica shave cream
Prep was a hot shower.

2 passes, WTG and XTG. No nicks but a little irritation on my neck.

Finished up with Clinique ASB

Have a great day.

Jim

Decent shave last night.
Wielded my Ernst White
Stropped on T.M. Heirloom Steer w/Linen 25/25
Lathered up with QCS Basilica shave cream, E.J. Brush

Prep was a hot shower

2 passes, WTG and XTG. No nicks or irritation. Finished my sample of Basilica Shave cream.

Finished up with Clinique ASB.

Finally got to try my Everyday IPA, came out pretty good. Good flavor and a nice hoppiness to it.

Have a great day.

Jim

Good shave last night.

Wielded my Merkur DE
Lathered up with C.O. Bigelow and my E.J. Brush
Prep was a hot shower

2 passes, WTG and ATG. No nicks no irritation.

Have a great day.

Jim

Good shave today.

Wielded my Wade and Butcher full wedge.
Stropped on my T.M. Heirloom Steer w/ linen. 25/25

Lathered up with QCS Celestial Woods shave cream and my E.J. Brush

Prep was a hot shower.

Two passes, WTG and XTG. No nicks or irritation. The lather was great but not so sure about he scent. The hint of sandalwood might not be doing it for me.

Have a great day.

Decent shave last night.

Wielded my Merkur DE
Prep was a hot shower

Have a great day.

Jim

Good shave last night.

Wielded my Merkur DE
Lathered up with Irisch Moos and my E.J. Brush
Prep was a hot shower

2 passes, WTG and ATG. No nicks no irritation. Love the smell of Irisch Moos, sucks that they discontinued it.

Have a great day.

Jim

Excellent shave today.

Wielded my Wade and Butcher Full Wedge
Stropped on my T.M. Heirloom Steer w/ Linen. 25/25
Lathered up with QCS Cream Celestial Woods. E. J. Brush
Prep was a hot shower.

2 passes, WTG and XTG. No nicks or irritation. Had a DFS today, I used Cetaphil face watch and today I did a rinse wash and repeat. I will try this again on my next shave to see if my results repeat.

Have a great day.

Jim

Quick shave last night.

Wielded my Merkur DE
Lathered up with QCS Celestial Woods Cream and my E.J. Brush
Prep was a hot shower

Have a great day.

Jim

Decent shave last night.

Wielded my Wade and Butcher full wedge.
Stropped on my T.M. Heirloom Steer w/ linen. 30/30

Lathered up with QCS Celestial Woods shave cream and my E.J. Brush

Prep was a hot shower.

Two passes, WTG and XTG. No nicks some minor irritation on my neck. Finished up my sample of Celestial Woods shave cream, the scent just didn't do it for me.

Have a great day.

Good shave last night.

Wielded my Merkur DE
Lathered up with QCS Vetiverand my E.J. Brush
Prep was a hot shower

Have a great day.

Jim

Decent shave last night.

Wielded my Merkur DE
Prep was a hot shower

2 passes, WTG and ATG. Had to break out my stypic pencil, gave myself a small nick on my neck but it bled like a faucet. I think i caught the corner of the blade in my skin, I felt a little tug and sting, then the flesh wound was formed.

Have a great day.

Jim​

Thanks Jon.

Good shave last night.

Wielded my Merkur DE
Prep was a hot shower

2 passes, WTG and ATG. Still had some minor irritation on my neck. I don't usually have this issue when using my straight, but due to time and tiredness I have been using my DE lately so as not to inflict any major bodily harm or inadvertantly damaging my razor/strop.

Have a great day.

Jim​

A little late on this one, good shave Friday night.

Wielded my Merkur DE
Lathered up with QCS Vetiver and my E.J. Brush
Prep was a hot shower

2 passes, WTG and ATG. No nicks no irritation. Whipped up an awesome lather and managed to avoid razor burn on my neck.

Have a great day.

Jim

OK shave last night.

Wielded my Merkur DE
Lathered up with QCS Vetiver and my E.J. Brush
Prep was a hot shower

2 passes, WTG and ATG. Nicked myself in the same spot on my neck as I did a couple days ago. Styptic pencil to the rescue.

Have a great day.

Jim

Good shave last night.

Wielded my Wade and Butcher Full Wedge
Stropped on my T.M. Heirloom Steer w/ Linen. 25/25
Lathered up with QCS Vetiver. E. J. Brush
Prep was a hot shower.

2 passes, WTG and XTG. No irritation, but one small nick on my cheek.

Have a great day.

Jim

Top Bottom