What's new

Enjoying the Standard Razor

I recently purchased the Standard Razor in black and have enjoyed it quite a bit. It reminds me of what the General SE razor would be like if it were a DE razor. Since it's an aluminum razor, it is light and nimble but not too light and has healthy blade exposure without being too aggressive. I find it to be a mild to medium very efficient shaver and I get a nice BBS in my usual 3 pass shave with touchups (I have a very coarse heavy beard so I usually do the 3 passes). It seems to love Shark super chrome blades. Anybody else enjoying this razor? I have found it to be at the top of my list of go to razors, right along with the Rockwell 6S, which I absolutely love.

This was my first and still only razor. I like it a lot. I have found that Gillette blades work best for me in this razor, I too have a course and heavy beard, the other blades I have tried just nick or cause too much irritation.

I just got done with trying out a 37C and see a slant in my future.

I have been wondering recently if Standard Razors would start making new heads.

This was my first and still only razor. I like it a lot. I have found that Gillette blades work best for me in this razor, I too have a course and heavy beard, the other blades I have tried just nick or cause too much irritation.

I just got done with trying out a 37C and see a slant in my future.

I have been wondering recently if Standard Razors would start making new heads.

Glad to hear you like it as well. I also like the General SE razor and it really is like a DE version of this. I'll have to try it with some other blades too. Which Gillette blades do you find work the best in the Standard Razor? I have Gillette Silver Blues and 7 O'clock black blades I can try with it.

I have the Standard Razor, and find that it works well with Personna Reds. I agree with the OP that it is has healthy blade exposure. I would describe it as more medium than mild. For example, I find that it is too aggressive for me with sharper blades like Polsilver SI's. I would say that it is at least equivalent to the R4 plate on the Rockwell 6s.

That's the one razor that my son has kept and continued to use, and he has tried several. They look too modern and featureless for me, but hey, if it works go for it. For those not familiar with them, they use a non-standard thread at the handle, but those threads are stainless steel, which is better than many modern razors.

I have the Standard Razor, and find that it works well with Personna Reds. I agree with the OP that it is has healthy blade exposure. I would describe it as more medium than mild. For example, I find that it is too aggressive for me with sharper blades like Polsilver SI's. I would say that it is at least equivalent to the R4 plate on the Rockwell 6s.

I agree that it can be considered more medium than mild. I think that is why I have been using the Shark blades, as they are not as aggressive a blade as a Gillette 7 O'clock Black or a Feather for example. Yet somehow it doesn't feel all that aggressive when shaving with it---it feels a lot safer than an R41 or iKon Tech but gets me just as close, which I like.

Glad you like it. It was ok for me, but my wife loves it paired with Feather blades to shave her legs. I also have a silver tone one that I gave to my son, though he is still a bit young to try it with a blade. It's a great feeling to find "the one" that seems to work just right for you. Kudos!

The Standard Razor is by far my favorite and most efficient shaver. I've spent the last few years buying a smallish? amount of vintage Gillette's but I still haven't found anything that works for me as well as the Standard.

Sort of annoying because I was hoping to knight a birthday razor (Super Adjustable or super speed) as The One but the Standard still outperforms...

The Standard Razor is by far my favorite and most efficient shaver. I've spent the last few years buying a smallish? amount of vintage Gillette's but I still haven't found anything that works for me as well as the Standard.

Sort of annoying because I was hoping to knight a birthday razor (Super Adjustable or super speed) as The One but the Standard still outperforms...

Thanks! It's great to know others are having good luck with it as well.

The Standard is an honest, no-BS razor. It's light in weight but solid and well-built. The matte finish is very grippable. If only they made a Slant version...

I have two. One in black and one in gunmetal. They just don't work for me. They sit in a box. now. :(
Sorry to hear it's not working for you---have you tried different angles? I don't pay too much attention to my angle but go more by the audio feedback, of which this razor has plenty, but I believe a steep angle works great with this razor. What exactly was the issue you were having. I'm curious since it works so well for many. Of course, YMMV as we all say lol.

It wasn't a terrible shave. In terms of aggressiveness, it was pretty good. One of my issues was the sloppy blade alignment. Drives my OCD nuts. I'm also not a big fan of the odd screwless head. I removed the double threaded screw and put it in the head where it belongs but haven't loc-tited it in yet. Every once in a while it comes loose and I have to worry about it ending up in the drain.

So I guess to summarize, decent shave. Sloppy design.

Glad to hear you like it as well. I also like the General SE razor and it really is like a DE version of this. I'll have to try it with some other blades too. Which Gillette blades do you find work the best in the Standard Razor? I have Gillette Silver Blues and 7 O'clock black blades I can try with it.

Silver Blues work well as do the Platinum. I don't have a problem with the 7 O'clock blacks either.

IMO, the OP is spot on. Great razor; with an Astra blade, smooth, efficient, easy BBS with two passes and clean up without so much as a hint of a weeper. Very different feel (for the most part each of my other razors, 6s included, weigh north of 110 grams). I did have a minor blade alignment issue this morning (one side seemed not to be loaded correctly and would not cut), but it corrected after I reloaded the blade. I guess I must be lucky; this is the first razor with which I have ever had a problem (albeit minor) with blade alignment.

RAD is bad. Must stop.

RAD is bad. Must stop.

Yeah, I'll keep repeating this until the next time.

IMO, the OP is spot on. Great razor; with an Astra blade, smooth, efficient, easy BBS with two passes and clean up without so much as a hint of a weeper. Very different feel (for the most part each of my other razors, 6s included, weigh north of 110 grams). I did have a minor blade alignment issue this morning (one side seemed not to be loaded correctly and would not cut), but it corrected after I reloaded the blade. I guess I must be lucky; this is the first razor with which I have ever had a problem (albeit minor) with blade alignment.

RAD is bad. Must stop.

RAD is bad. Must stop.

Yeah, I'll keep repeating this until the next time.

I did notice that there may some play in the razor head prior to tightening it down and to avoid any blade alignment issues, I carefully adjust the top cap position relative to the baseplate before the final tightening down. Not a big deal, but it would be nice if it aligned perfectly every time. Otherwise, a joy to use.

Top Bottom