What's new

EIGHTH ANNUAL "One Blade in February" Challenge - 2017 Edition

Feather shave 24. Fatboy on 7. Not sure why but it was a better shave than I've been getting. I did switch soaps from Cella to Stirling but either normally gives a good shave. In any case it was a good lather. I even mixed up the passes a bit. WTG to ATG on cheeks and same with an extra cleanup pass on the neck. Frankly I could tell it was better on the first pass. A little more relaxed as I wasn't going anywhere today.

E-1 Fatboy Feather (26)
Whipped Dog Synth
WSP Tobacco Soap and beard oil
Stetson

The blade is on it's way out, so I tried something different. Half way through my first pass I decided to click it down to 5 form the 9 I usually use. I figured it would force me to use a more shallow angle. I took a little more time and got a better shave than the last couple of days. I made it to DFS again. Not sure if the lower setting actually worked better or if it was just slowing down a bit. I think I'm going to try half of my head on 5 and the other half on 9 tomorrow and see which is better.
DSCF9996.JPG

Shave 26...Polsilver SI...British 3rd gen Crat Jr...

It took more work and more touch up, but I was able to pull off another BBS face and head shave. No ittitation, I don't think this blade is capable of drawing blood anymore. The only area that's questionable is above my lip and the briar patch on the left side of my chin, DFS/BBS. At this point with the blade, I can definitely tell where my more coarse stubble are.

Definitely took more work with the Crat than with the double shimed SC or Fatboy on level 9, but it got the job done.

2 more to go...

:a21:

I've missed a few days, but my Feather hit shave #20 today. I'll continue to use this blade next month (and beyond) until it gives up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shave 19. Another shave with the X3. I think the edge is on the way out so I'm going to start with the other side tomorrow. Exciting times!

I am out, after 26 shaves with the Feather / Aristocrat Jr combination. The last few days shaving has been something of a chore, the blade definitely not slicing through the whiskers so deftly as on day one. I am also suffering through the Williams 3017 challenge.

I consider myself stubborn, but somehow I couldn't face another three days slightly less good than the preceding ones. Williams is a factor in this.

Results have been good regardless. The blade was certainly sharp enough to get the job done, though with greater time and effort and less mind-wandering pleasure.

Today's shave with a fresh Feather in the same razor was all I wanted it to be, even with that dubious soap product.

A good run. I am feeling vindicated in my habit of switching out a blade at the start and middle of the month, assuming it has lasted that long (generally it has). I have got my money's worth, and I don't need to witness the blade's decline.

Cheers to all of you more stubborn than me. Shave on!

I just had shave 14 on an American Shave Chrome Platinum. I put it in my Merkur34c and actually had a very nice shave. I forgot how comfortable that razor could be. No irritation and was able to go over spots multiple times. I'm use this blade one more time on Tuesday which is my birthday. Looking forward to that.

Happy shaves all!

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Gillette Old Type, ball-end handle, thick cap
Gillette Platinum-Plus (26)
Burma Shave boar brush
Pinaud Shave Soap/KMF, face lathered
Halston Z-14 aftershave

Second shave with the Ball End not as good as yesterday. Think the super lather wasn't a slick as the VDH/KMF combo. Two tiny nicks trying to navigate my chin with inadequate lather protection. I'll finish the month up with this blade in the Fatboy.

Yous guys definitely knock out more shaves per week than I do. Last night I recorded my 12th shave for Feb. The more shaves I get on my Astra, the more it makes me remember that a good lather is half the shave.

Day 26 - Using the new soap has really helped out. RazoRock always had solid performance for me, and having enough soap to load comfortably has really helped my lather and subsequent shave quality. The shave was BBS again, and even though I completely forgot to use the alum to check for any burning and irritation, the aftershave splash I used (homebrew mentholated Thayers) didn't reveal anything significant other than the fact I probably put in too much menthol when I made it.

I flipped the blade over to finish off the month. I have a feeling that I could theoretically push this blade further than 28 days, but I picked a different blade to use in March, so I'm going to take this win and go on with the knowledge that I might actually be able to join the Excalibur guys at some point in the future.

OK, after considering 1 Cal and Rabidus advice... I was going to toss the Polsilver but, alas... Shave #22.

Razor: E1 1959 Fatboy (I took your advice Rabidus and opened it up to 9)
Blade: Polsilver Super Iridium (22)
Brush: Omega 8022 boar
Soap: PannaCrema Ebano
AS: Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum

I went in for extra prep with hot shower, face wash, and pre-shave with Kiss My Face shave cream. Fatboy set on 9.
I felt a lot of blade through the shave but an uncomfortable amount of tugging. Light pressure throughout, no nicks, or irritation. Subsequent passes were easier and after 4 complete passes and touch up the result was a DFS close shave. I finished with alum and witch hazel but no irritation. Can I go two more shaves? I can but why? I believe this is the longest I have gone on any blade but no need to keep going.

My lessons learned...
- Great shaves are possible long after the "average" use of a blade.
- Great lather is a very important factor to close and problem free shaves.
- No pressure is the key.
- Weepers, irritation, & nicks are not the result of a sharp blade, a used blade, or a dull blade. I had none in 22 shaves.

Until next February gents, happy shaving!

Twenty-sixth Shave of February

Blade: Polsilver SI (26) :001_wub:
Razor: Mühle R41 head on Knockout Bakelite handle

upload_2017-2-26_21-50-24.png

So far so good. :001_smile

This great blade, and its operator, just keep on truckin' (touch wood*). Another lovely BBS shave. :biggrin1:

* I believe "knock on wood" is the American translation for the British "touch wood."

Feather shave 25, Fatboy for the third day in a row. Overall comfortable shave considering the dull blade. Different razor tomorrow just for fun.

I can tell my Nacet is starting to dull, it feels like a Dorco without the tugging. Still got a nice shave, absolutely no irritation, but it does take more time than when it was new. Next one I will start in the Slim at 6 or 7, I think the Nacet requires a more aggresive razor to get a close shave. I will happily trade a second pass for the lack of irritation I can get from new blades, and the lack of weepers!

Peter

Day 26/Shave 6

Blade- Shark Super Chrome
Razor- Asylum Evolution
Brush- 22mm finest banded badger set into homemade
Soap- Tabac
Aftershave- Tonga
tmp_5116-20170226_192012-908464510.jpg

I've been following this off and on.
Whatever happened to the guy that was going to use a Graham-Field?

Mark
I thought about it but decided against it. Nasty mean blades! There may have been someone else that was more serious about it than I, but I don't recall who.

@SteveWY

At 26 face and 26 head shaves on this Polsilver SI blade, equivalent to about 78 face shaves, I have not had uncomfortable tugging at all. My strokes are pretty swift and get a little faster as the blade dulls, guillotine like...

The whole purpose of the February Challenge is to learn and you've done just that!

Top Bottom