What's new

Edwin Jagger DE89L appreciation thread

I think the head is the same, or at least my brief research leads me to that conclusion. So I'd say no, it's probably not worth having both. is the EJ better? In my opinion yes, simply because the Muhle is roughly double the price of the EJ.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I think the only difference is the weight and perhaps size of the handles, but even this isn't major. The price of the EJ makes it the obvious choice.

I have a question for you guys about your DE89 experience. In the photos, the safety bar (closed comb) appears to be fluted. Does this make the razor feel or behave like an open comb to any degree?

I have the DE89 on my Christmas list. But I just used an open comb for the first time, and I wonder if the DE89 might offer the same kind of experience and results.

Last edited:
Bought my EJ87 ivory handle about a month ago from English Shaving, So far i love it. unfortunately its the only razor i have so its hard to compare to anything else. and after reading all the threads think i made a good purchase. just curious what blade would work best with it I have only tried the DERBYS and wilkingson sword from wallymart any suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks
Tom

I have the ivory version, and I absolutely adore it. It's a marvelous razor for me and have had no problems with any of the blades I've used so far.

The 89L was my FIRST razor. I went Amazon, but have seen some combo deals that seem better in retrospect.

For instance, I wish I would have gone for the matching stand and brush with bowl set.

After almost 20 years of cartridges my transition to DE was surprisingly smooth with Jagger. The stuff I read around the web had me a bit timid to use it the first time, as I thought DE were in the same league as box cutters.

About a week later I received a vintage Gillette Super Speed. I think a no date code, late 40's. It was in great shape. The TTO is nice and tight, and seemed interesting compared to Edwin's three piece.

The Super Speed now gets week old blades from my DE89L that have had there time on my face. I use the sloppy seconds to shave my head two or three times a week.

I've got some razors coming from eBay. I'll try them out. But,.....

Day to day I am amazed each and every morning when I see that shiny chrome and feel the heft of this superbly balanced instrument. I'm feeling very eager. I find myself thinking about jumping in the shower and having a quick touch up shave in the evening.

My only learning curve, after one month, is trying to get a proper shave under my nose. The head on Edwin Jagger is beefy. I would say this is nothing compared to trying to hit the same spot with giant multiple blade cartridges.

I LOVE my 89L

I have a question for you guys about your DE89 experience. In the photos, the safety bar (closed comb) appears to be fluted. Does this make the razor feel or behave like an open comb to any degree?

I have the DE89 on my Christmas list. But I just used an open comb for the first time, and I wonder if the DE89 might offer the same kind experience and results.

I do not believe that the flutted bar works the same as an open comb...both my Merkur 23c and EJ 89 have this, I believe it is more for design and functionally it may help to channel the lather as you are shaving.

Well, I guess it's my turn to chime in I got a D.R. Harris branded Chatsworth (same head as the 89) about 2 weeks ago and I have to say it is the smoothest shaving, best finished razor I have ever owned, and I have owned a bunch. This has cured and reversed my RAD, I'm only keeping a couple others due to sentimental reasons. If you can only own one razor this is the one, perfect aggressiveness.:thumbup:

Just ordered mine from the Royal Shave (Thanks for the Coupon Code). I was going to order from Amazon, but they said it wouldn't be shipped for 3-5 weeks! No, thanks. So I paid $2.50 more so I could have it this week!!:w00t: Thanks for all the comments on this thread.

Also, I just checked westcoastshaving.com and they have the DE89L for $37 shipped! Only three bucks more than Amazon. Very good deals from west coast shaving and the royal shave!

Originally Posted by Masterblaster
believe it or not, the "all in" price with shipping is cheaper from one of several UK based sellers. Shipping is fast too. The price shipped will be around $32.

check out:

http://shaving.ie/

or

www.theenglishshavingcompany.com

the second site subtracts off the UK VAT taxes at the end. So the price is less than it first appears.

WRONG!!!!!!! Try: http://www.royalshave.com/p/401-093-00/ And use coupon code: NEWS7 for 7% off storewide!

or try Amazon

I don't believe that you are correct. From what I can see the Shaving.ie website sells the DE87 right now for $25.96 plus $4.80 shipping to the US. The total therefore would be $30.76 from this website. This website is currently out of stock of the DE86 and DE89. The prices shown reflect legacy exchange rates.

From the RoyalShave site the same razor (or the DE86 or the DE89L) is $30.64 (with the 7% discount) plus $5.95 shipping. The "all-in" total including shipping at that site would therefore be $36.59 which is nearly $6 higher.

I'm a new DE shaver as well. In the last few months I've tried a Red Tip and a Mergress. I keep going back to the EJ. I really enjoy this razor, I can get close comfortable shaves without irritation to my neck. If I want something more aggressive just put a feather or other sharper blade in it.

It really just seems to be a good all around razor for me and does offer some variability based on what blade I put in it.

I have the DE 87 (Faux ivory handle). It is infinitely superior in manufacturing quality to my Merkur HD, is better balanced and gives a great shave without nicks or burn. The faux ivory handle is surprisingly effective at preventing slippage. I only use the HD for travel as the EJ is my favorite and I dont want to risk losing it.

Well after another week with this razor, I'm leaning towards a custom handle from Bob's Razor Works. I feel like a little more weight in the handle would feel better and also I grip my razor fairly lightly which means that if my griping hand is wet then I have problems.

It's easy enough to just reach over to the hand-towel by my sink and dry my fingers and the handle but a cooncatbob handle looks like it'd grip well wet or dry.

I tried an Astra Superior Platinum this morning. It pulled slightly, but was pretty mild and didn't give me any weepers. I have a spot on my right jaw-line that usually weeps a little. Not this morning. I'd rate this blade above the Derby for sure.

I'm anxious to try the nicer blades: Feather, Kai, and Iridium. But I want to have had some experience with the run-o-the-mill blades first.

Again, The Shaving,IE site is out of stock on the DE89. The price shown is not correct. The $34.10 reflects legacy exchange rates and is not correct

I ordered mine today from West Coast Shaving. I paid a little more than off of Ebay but I figure he takes a lot of his time freely giving advice to me and others. So for an extra $4 I supported a fellow B&B.

I don't know if I should love my EJ89L or hate it. It was my stepping stone in to the world of traditional wet shaving and gets used often. The problem is that first it lead me into the purchasing of multiple soaps ranging in price from pennies to :blink: Now it has started a vintage Gillette problem. Last week I was given a Rocket Flare Tip because someone new I used an "old style" razor and today two more vintage razors find a new home here.:huh: Well time to go break in one of the Gillette's and make them feel welcome:thumbup:

Top Bottom