What's new

E.C. Simmons Buy

Well...shouldn't be too bad as far as money goes.

Just picked up a E.C. Simmons St. Louis Sheffield. No other markings other than those words.

Didn't pay much...what I saved I can spend on maybe getting it restored (SylverSteel?).

The seller listed it as a "P.C. Simmons" but the only simmons I've found in research is a certain E.C. Simmons

Anyone have experience with these razors?

I'll load pics when I can.

Thanks all!

I'm hoping so. I am just starting...haven't got my first SS under my belt but I hope to soon. I never realized how little one could acquire a vintage blade for. Maybe it just flew under the radar. I don't know. If it is a keen Kutter, and in good shape, it may be that the guy miss labeled it that kept it down.

Woot! I need to stop...seriously. Managed to pick up a Giesen and Forsthoff Adoration Blue Steel 166.

Again, and soon as it arrives I'll post pics. This one is supposed shave ready.

Also....is it bad form to talk about acquiring razors before they arrive at your doorstep for pictures? Upsetting everyone is the last thing I want to do.

Alright, gentlemen, the Simmons came in today...along with a ZY I ordered that came in super fast (considering it started in China). My first observation was how much thinner the blade is on the Simmons.

Aside from that, it doesn't look too bad. The scales are definitely plastic,.not unlike the ZY which has me wondering if they were replaced.or if that's standard on Simmons razors. I have some lapping film coming in...so I'm wondering if I should send it in to get restored or if this would be an easy enough one to do myself.

All around...I'm hoping I had a good score for $12.

Anyhoo, here's the pictures. Anyone have any say...I'd love to hear it!

20170221_114110.jpg420170221_113729.jpg 20170221_113927.jpg 20170221_113720.jpg 20170221_113702.jpg

Looks like a decent blade to me. Unfortunately, I do not know much about the history of it other than what you could probably find on your own with a Google search. That blade should clean up nicely. A little metal polish may go a long way for you. You could always try some sanding as well. Auto parts stores are great for higher grit wet dry paper. If you haven't honed before, you may want to see if you can find a member her to take care of it for the first time at least. That way you have a good basis for what truly shave ready should feel like when you start honing your own.

Clean her up and give a try. Let us know how it works out. Looks like she has pontential. And apparently I've given your razor a gender. Let me know if you want me to name her too.

Top Bottom