What's new

Dutch oven cobbler

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Thought I'd do a simple Dutch Oven cobbler today. Turned out great!

Cherry pie filling getting warm in the little 8 inch DO (6 coals on bottom) while the lid is getting preheated (10 coals on top)...21 oz. can of cherry pie filling.

Topped with 1 1/2 cups of Bisquick mixed with 2/3 cup milk...then a few pats of butter.

This DO cooking is hard work.

I think we are done after about 35 minutes total...pulled it off the bottom coals after 20 minutes and let it cook with just coals on top for another 15 minutes.

OMG this is good.

Dutch Ovens are a lot of fun and the food always tastes great :thumbup1:

I have a stack of these and the little one (Lodge #8) is reserved for desert. This is an apple pie I cooked in mine.

proxy.php

My cast iron dutch oven isn't the style to use with charcoal, the lid isn't made to take coals on it. :(

Baking that way is a true art mixed with science, and you seem to have nailed both halves for sure.

I bought an small all aluminum dutch oven as it can be washed much like other pots and pans. I use it almost exclusively for cobblers (or dump cakes) when car camping. I can also make a 1/4 chicken with veggies in it for 1 or 2 people to share.

Instead of an aluminum foil pie crust you can buy online 8in or 9in pans that fit just inside the 12" dutch ovens and are pretty tall. This allows you to just remove the pan and drop another right into the hot dutch oven. :) I have purchased them at the local walmart, think they're made by Nordicware.

-Stephen

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I've really considered an aluminum one, but I usually just use the DOs at home and with car camping a couple of cast iron ones aren't a problem with me.

Since the aluminum ones are supposed to heat up faster and cool down quicker...how do they cook compared to a cast iron one?

I've seen the tall pan inserts, but I usually just use what I have handy...always have foil...most of the time.

I've been really, really, really considering getting a DO table, but torn between a couple of them.

Anyone ever used these? I can get the Lodge for about $180.

Amazon.com: Lodge A5-7 Camp Dutch Oven Cooking Table: Cookware Accessories: Kitchen & Dining

Amazon.com : Camp Chef/Dutch Oven Camp Table - 14IN x 38IN : Camp Chef Side Table : Sports & Outdoors

I don't know if the aluminum one heats up faster/cools faster or not. Never really noticed. It does well for anything I've cooked in it.

I have borrowed a friends Camp Chef table a few times and that worked quite well. Easily put two dutch ovens side by side and/or one oven and plenty of extra coals. It was stable and durable for everything I did.

-Stephen

Top Bottom