What's new

Dubl Duck Wonderedge, Factory Sealed in Box

Use it. It was a gift from the SWMBO and it means she cares about your hobby and interest. If this is in great condition, sell the other one and keep this one since it has more sentimental value.

Enjoy it. Life is too short to be a hoarder of such nice pieces.

Use it! And share pics!!! Great find! I would never buy a toothbrush at an estate sale, but you hunting for toothbrushes sure did pay off, only if you use it though

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Are we collecting Barbie dolls or are we shaving here?

Action Figures
121008_bachpad.jpg

This shumate was new in the wrapper and greased with the original dried out grease to boot and it still came out with rot on it. Granted, as you can see from the box it was tossed in with many other things and bumped around for ages but nothing had the slightest hint of moisture damage or even staining. It just goes to show what time can do...
20170302_192020.jpg
20170302_192045.jpg
20170302_192048.jpg
20170302_192057.jpg

I would open it and have a look to see what I had.
Whether I actually shaved with it or kept in brand new is a completely different decision.

Age like a fine wine? That's just silly. Use it. It's JAR imo. The gift part makes it a whole other thing. Congratulations.

The above was a NOS C-MON Microtome that I picked up a few years ago. For those of you who are not aware of these, they are designed to cut very thin paraffin imbedded fixed tissue to make microscope slides. They are hollow ground on one side, and a near wedge on the other. The above picture is how I received it.

When it came time to hone it, all of the research I had done, and from people who had honed these and shaved with them suggested placing one piece of tape on the hollow side, and 4 to 5 pieces of tape on the wedge side. I tried it with 1 and 4 pieces of tape, and I learned that the blade was severely warped. I decided that I was not going to do that much honing, constantly changing tape when it wore. So I put it into my straight razor case thinking that I would probably sell it with full disclosure, but the fact that C-MON made very few of these, I thought I would try to recover the intrinsic value. About a year and a half later, it was still in my razor case, and it bothered me every time I went in to retrieve a razor. I finally got fed up and decided that I was either going to make it shave for me, or I was going to ruin it. Below are the pictures I took after setting the bevel on an Atoma 400 using no tape.

Now it shaves very well, and I enjoy shaving my face with it from time to time. However any intrinsic collector value that it may have once had is now gone. But it means more to me as a shaver in my rotation.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
It is worth more sealed, but you are not going to sell it. It is a gift, so its sentimental value outweighs its market value. I say pick the day and make an occasion out of honing it, and then shave with it. If the shave is up to usual DD Wonderedge standards, break it out and shave with it on special occasions. Let SWMBO see how much you appreciate it. Store it carefully between shaves, and let this be THE heirloom razor. That's my dos centavos.

The above was a NOS C-MON Microtome that I picked up a few years ago. For those of you who are not aware of these, they are designed to cut very thin paraffin imbedded fixed tissue to make microscope slides. They are hollow ground on one side, and a near wedge on the other. The above picture is how I received it.

When it came time to hone it, all of the research I had done, and from people who had honed these and shaved with them suggested placing one piece of tape on the hollow side, and 4 to 5 pieces of tape on the wedge side. I tried it with 1 and 4 pieces of tape, and I learned that the blade was severely warped. I decided that I was not going to do that much honing, constantly changing tape when it wore. So I put it into my straight razor case thinking that I would probably sell it with full disclosure, but the fact that C-MON made very few of these, I thought I would try to recover the intrinsic value. About a year and a half later, it was still in my razor case, and it bothered me every time I went in to retrieve a razor. I finally got fed up and decided that I was either going to make it shave for me, or I was going to ruin it. Below are the pictures I took after setting the bevel on an Atoma 400 using no tape.

Now it shaves very well, and I enjoy shaving my face with it from time to time. However any intrinsic collector value that it may have once had is now gone. But it means more to me as a shaver in my rotation.

You should have sent me that razor I would have honed that and you would have had zero hone ware plus a small bevel I'm looking at a complete honing disaster. PS I have honed many Microtomes they are very similar to a Kamisori to hone only easier.

If ever a razor wanted the intentionally-convexed hone I've referenced in the video from ~1mos ago, this would'be been it!

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Razors were made as tools and not really meant to be collected. That's why the packaging was so poor. Many that were shipped overseas had better protection but they were not packed to withstand the ravages of time.

You should have sent me that razor I would have honed that and you would have had zero hone ware plus a small bevel I'm looking at a complete honing disaster. PS I have honed many Microtomes they are very similar to a Kamisori to hone only easier.

You will note that the bevel is very thin at the toe on the hollow side, and it is thin about 1/3 of the way down from the heel on the wedge side. You would not have been able to put a thin bevel accross this blade because of the very wonky warped geometry. I consider a honing disaster as a razor that will not shave after it is honed. This razor shaves very well. It is ugly, but it shaves well. I will also add that the bevel will now be able to be maintained. One inch or more of the blade was not touching the stone when laying it on the hollow side. Five layers of tape on the spine would not have rectified this. I would be very interested in hearing your honing approach to honing an even thin bevel accross this warped blade. Razors were never designed to be honed with anything on the spine. If one or two layers of tape would have given me a bevel accross the length of the blade, I would have done it. But when 5 layers failed to get the entire bevel touching the stone, drastic measures were called for if it were to ever shave.

I have 4 Kamisoris that I hone, and none of them have warp in the blade. They all hone up very well.

I would be very interested in hearing your honing approach to honing an even thin bevel accross this warped blade. Razors were never designed to be honed with anything on the spine.

the stone convexed to reduce that contact patch to under a centimeter at all times minimizes the warp problem and never needs tape. That's one of the reasons it is a staple of all Solingen production.

Top Bottom