What's new

Dubl Duck Wonderedge, Factory Sealed in Box

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Oh what to do???

I found this gem at this past weekend's estate sale. Being the seller thought it was a toothbrush, it had to come home with me. It has a zip code, so cell rot is not a problem. I have several D.D. Wonderedge with one already in very low mileage condition, so what to do.

Leave it unopened and let it age like a fine wine or add a NOS straight to rotation???

IMG_0367.JPG

IMG_0368.JPG

IMG_0369.JPG

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Great find, Tim. That would be a tough call to make. You can buy an opened DD in NOS condition, but I think that's the first factory sealed one I've seen. Too bad there isn't a way to ease that label off without damaging it.

I've seen Goldedges, Wonderedges come up on ebay sealed in the box. It seems many fear cell rot and shy away. OTOH, they usually bring a big $. If it were mine I'd either auction it as is, or I'd open it up and make sure it was 'healthy' and then decide if I was going to keep it, or move it along.

I'd leave it as is. Plenty of others available that have been opened. If that one has survived all these years unopened, to me, it would be a shame to break the seal. Just my 2 cents and YMMV.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Thank you gentlemen, it was a nice find. Technically it was a gift so I will not be selling. SHMBO was with me at the sale, paid for it, tossed it to me and said "happy Valentine's Day". Being it's later 1960's and older I'm not concerned about Cell rot. I am leaning to let it age longer but that attitude can change.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I'd open it up and make sure it was 'healthy' ........

I sold a near mint one in early 2011 with the hypnotic swirls on the tang. ( I threw in a user grade Goldedge with it )
I never missed it nor shaved with it. Honestly they don't bring the coin they once did but they are a very solid razor and they go through a cryogenic tempering process that the other Dubl Ducks do not.

I am imagining you got a pretty good deal on your "toothbrush".

You wont sell it anyway because it was a gift. So why let it be unused?
Imagine giving something to your wife and she's not going to open and use it.

P.S. After all, it's only a toothbrush :001_smile

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
You could get hit in the head with a drone tomorrow and never get the opportunity to crack it open. Take good video if you do it!

I'm new here, but I will speak up.
I'm a carpenter and a woodworker.
A quality tool, which this is said here to be, can only be fully appreciated when used by an experienced practitioner.
It's monetary value can never equal that full appreciation.

If it were mine it's a case of use or move it on, I've never been interested in draw queens, Here's a NOS Dubl Duck Goldege I owned and used a while back then sold on it said 6/8 but it was actually a 13/16.

Last edited:
Were that mine, I would have opened and used it that day. Right now you have a box. It has something in it which is serving no purpose?
Even museum pieces are taken out and at least displayed. No sense just hanging onto the container and waiting for......?? Use it. Enjoy it.

Were that mine, I would have opened and used it that day. Right now you have a box. It has something in it which is serving no purpose?
Even museum pieces are taken out and at least displayed. No sense just hanging onto the container and waiting for......?? Use it. Enjoy it.

I agree and you also run the risk of selling it for a premium price to find your buyer discovers some factory defect or that some moisture found its way into the package. Nothing would keep me from shaving with it.

Legion

Staff member
I would sell (if it wasn't a gift). DD are good razors, but I had one, and to be honest, I have had many razors that were worth a lot less on the open market, and shaved just as well.

Leave it sealed as an investment. You can pick up plenty of razors, with a little bit of wear, or a less desirable brand name to shave with. That kind of razor, still sealed in a box is rare. Keep it that way, because you can get just as good shaves from less valuable commodities.

The suspense would be killing me!

Open the box check the razor out and then use it and post pics so we can all see! :001_302:

Top Bottom