What's new

Drinking at work.I want to bring it back

I would like to have an old school bar in my office....maybe a hidden bar..in a globe or a bookshelf...I've seen some vintage Japanese hidden bars around

Apparently it was the norm here years ago but they had a few "issues"...couple of wrecks..an intern got knocked up :blink:etc...so they cut out all drinking but that was a long time ago...I would like to have the bar in case I'm staying late or we call it a day early and have a drink in the office

anyone drink at work? $tumblr_lye6tjq1Ln1r71q8go1_500.jpg

My company seems fine with it. Engineers and Sales reps always seem to have a bunch of alcohol around and near their desks. I guess it's dictated by company culture. Maybe you should drop some very small hints or references to see how the decision makers respond.

In today's litigious and liability crazed world chances are slim that any company that had issues will ever allow alcohol on work premises. I would like to see us go back to a simpler time when the actual people that do stupid things get the blame for said stupid things. If I get soused at work and knock up a co-worker or drive home and get caught that's on me and only me. No one was pouring the liquor down my neck. I've heard the peer pressure argument before and I just give those folks a raised eyebrow and "really?? what are you 12?".

Mini rant over best of luck in your endeavor.

I once visited the BMW plant in Munich. Assembly line was surrounded by rest areas and wending machines. These machines dispensed snack, drinks, and beer. Accordingly our tour guide , works could have 3 beer per ship.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I once visited the BMW plant in Munich. Assembly line was surrounded by rest areas and wending machines. These machines dispensed snack, drinks, and beer. Accordingly our tour guide , works could have 3 beer per ship.

Would that have been a ship of the tongue?

My last-but-one job was with Aetna here in Singapore and alcohol was banned from company premises, bringing it into the office was an instant dismissal offence.

Not quite sure why Bertolini thinks none of his staff are adult enough to have a social drink after hours.

Prior to Aetna, I was with a UK-based insurer, again here in Singapore but I had a regional role and one time I was in our HK office on a Friday afternoon (how lucky was my planning, a Friday night in Wanchai!): the CEO had a tradition in that at 17.30 every Friday all his management team would gather in the Boardroom, everyone would grab a beer and just talk about what had happened during the week, what was expected next week, any issues / problems, just so everyone knew what was going on in the company. It lasted 30 mins to an hour, depending on what was going on, no one got hammered, and afterwards everyone just went home or off to the pub whatever. How can that be anything but good communication and team building?

Used to be (back in the early 90s), I worked in a regional sales office and several of us kept a bottle in a desk drawer with a few glasses. When we were working late it was common to have an ounce or two. This was also a time when smoking was allowed in the office.

My wife is a lawyer and I have teased her for quite some time (by teasing I mean suggesting) that I might buy her a bottle of whiskey and a couple glass tumblers to keep in the office. She always laughs and says "no, that's okay." I don't think it is okay, because she needs that bottle of whiskey and a couple glass tumblers. :001_smile

In today's litigious and liability crazed world chances are slim that any company that had issues will ever allow alcohol on work premises. I would like to see us go back to a simpler time when the actual people that do stupid things get the blame for said stupid things. If I get soused at work and knock up a co-worker or drive home and get caught that's on me and only me. No one was pouring the liquor down my neck. I've heard the peer pressure argument before and I just give those folks a raised eyebrow and "really?? what are you 12?".

Mini rant over best of luck in your endeavor.

haha, I thought that was a stupid excuse even when I was 12, just for the record.

As far as alcohol at work is concerned, I don't think I'd drink at work even if it was allowed. I'm not much of a drinker to begin with anyway, and people I work with are dumb enough without chemical influence making it worse.

Time change, more lawyers looking for work, lack of personal responsibility, etc. I do miss the beer-thirty Friday afternoons. Great for team building, great for unwinding. Folks tended to hang around for 1-2 beers, try to get together off-site after work and most will just head home.

Top Bottom