What's new

Does my logic make sense?

So in the few months I have been using a DE, I am noticing I get irritation when I do anything more than 2 passes. I usually go WTG and ATG. No matter the razor, if I go across the grain I am riddled with irritation. It does not get BBS when I use a mild razor like the Bevel, ball end tech etc with the 2 pass method avoiding irritation,( Before you suggest a different blade, I've tried this with a feather, Kai ,many different sharp blades and the results are always pretty similar). My logic is, since I can only go 2 passes in a specific order, would a more aggressive DE be in line to try to get closer, or is it a waste of cash because the irritation will be there either way? If it does make sense, would a red tip super speed be too much of a step up from a tech?

My recommendation would be to not go ATG but at 50-75% ATG and see if that is close enough.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I've tried many different methods to this, even just touching up the "rough spots" and it just doesn't seem to do much except irritate my neck. It seems cheeks are fine any way, but the neck is a different story.
My recommendation would be to not go ATG but at 50-75% ATG and see if that is close enough.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I was thinking of a 54 silver flare tip super speed as they are known to be maneuverable if it matters.

I think many will say that the issue might be pressure. It's a common issue if you transitioned from a cartridge to a DE.

I would occasionally get irritation and weepers when using a DE in the first few months. I even abandoned a somewhat aggressive razor like the Merkur 39c slant thinking it was too much only to return to it a year later and loving it.

A cartridge creates years of muscle memory to apply pressure. You have to undo all of it with a DE. I find that the heavier the razor the easier it is for me to control it an not apply pressure. Try one weighing at least 3oz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Irritation is generally caused by the blade hitting skin rather than the hair. Less pressure, stretch the skin, wetter foam can be solutions to this problem. The neck is tricky regardless due to the shape. The bottom line is always to do whatever doesn't cause irritation rather than just causing less irritation.

i found my issue was i stretched my neck too much, i also use extra soap on my neck. also make sure you know how your neck whiskers grow, it will make a difference.

What soaps/creams are you using? Is there a chance that your lather isn't slick enough? My neck gets some irritation when I use TOBS Mr Taylors but hardly gets any when I use Barrister & Mann.

BBS is always all about keeping perfect angle. With a mild razor a slight deviation from the perfect angle will lift the blade away from the skin (=too much riding on either top cap or safety bar). One can force down the blade back by adding pressure, which is a no-no and causes irritation.

An aggressive razor usually allows a bigger range of working angles. Thus it is easier to reach BBS as small changes to the angle is not taking the blade away from the skin. If you have got the habit of adding pressure for getting closer shaves, there is something to unlearn and the first shaves with an aggressive one would feel rough.

Nothing wrong with trying your theory and use the Red Tip. ATG can be problematic no matter what your choice is but over time you will hit on what what variables work for you and that includes everything from lather to technique to the choice of razor and blade.

I stopped shaving my lower neck except for one WTG pass for 6 months because of irritation. Then a friend here at B&B pointed out my lather was poor from a photo, and I went on a lather research & practice fit. (Still actually.) By getting a very 'yogurty' and very slick lather, making sure never to put blade to beard without a layer of lather, stretching the skin tight, and using the lightest touch possible that still provides audible feedback, I now can shave my neck ATG without irritation. Only have one razor & use the same blades, so I know it's all down to technique in my case.

Let me clarify , I can go with and against the grain with no issues, across the grain is where the issue is.

I think many will say that the issue might be pressure. It's a common issue if you transitioned from a cartridge to a DE.

I would occasionally get irritation and weepers when using a DE in the first few months. I even abandoned a somewhat aggressive razor like the Merkur 39c slant thinking it was too much only to return to it a year later and loving it.

A cartridge creates years of muscle memory to apply pressure. You have to undo all of it with a DE. I find that the heavier the razor the easier it is for me to control it an not apply pressure.

100% agree^.

A Red Tip is noticeably more aggressive than a Tech; getting the best angle is key. Have you considered an adjustable? There are many Gillette Slims on the market at decent prices. Adjustables give you a lot of latitude.

Top Bottom