What's new

Does clean blade last longer?

So, I have been getting pretty crazy about cleaning my Krona after every shave, including wiping the blade itself dry (Wilkinson Swords). This is way OCD for me, but I am noticing that the blades will last longer and give better shaves. Is this possible from just keeping the blade dry or am I imagining this?

I wouldn't know, I've never cleaned a blade, and I've gotten three months out of a German Wilkinson Sword.

Wiping the blade can remove the PTFE coating on the edge. This will result in the blade being less smooth and more likely to oxidize. I do wash my blade off and pat dry it with bathroom tissue paper and then set it upright in a small empty soap dish to dry.

Last edited:
Some time ago a B&B member posted instruction from Gillette about this subject. As I recall the reason was that it could harm the edge of the blade.

I use a blade in a different razor every day, I usually alternate between 3-piece and TTO/Adjustable, mainly because the hard tap water which contains 4x the recommended chlorine levels leaves a white residue when it dries, so the way I see it, if I've got to clean my razor after every shave, I might as well use a different one every day and enjoy a bit of variety.
I don't clean the blade as such, I just rinse it under the cold tap at full pressure, then blow hard to get rid of excess water before loading the blade into the next razor.
I'm not sure if it makes any difference to longevity because whenever I've tried to use a "daily beater" blade for more than 3 days or one of my "best" blades for more than 4 days, I've always been out of my comfort zone.
If any blade feels uncomfortable to shave with, I don't enjoy shaving with it, and if I don't enjoy shaving with it - I'd rather use a new blade and enjoy it (which is probably why I'll never join the Excalibur Club)

unless the blade is carbon steel, all i do is dip the head into alcohol for a couple minutes and shake dry. but its more about making sure the blade is disinfected for my face rather than longevity. if you are curious get two tucks of the same blades, OCD clean one tuck, and not the other and compare length of time needed to go through the whole tuck. but it could also be an improvement in technique.

The only time I clean a blade is before I throw it away, which is a bit odd, but hey. Otherwise, I don't bother. Wiping a blade is generally deprecated, either because of risk or removing coating, and I figure that as I'm shaving for a maximum of five consecutive days with one blade and rinsing thoroughly after each shave, cleaning isn't going to help - possibly it might make things worse.

I wipe the gasket sealer & grease off before I put it back in my razor.

But for real - I never clean blades. I often leave a used blade in a razor for a few months, without use, and when I come back to that razor the blade is fine. I wouldn't try this with a plain carbon blade though.

proxy.php

Overkill. It's shaving, not brain surgery. I thoroughly rinse the razor, swishing it several times E and W and N and S in the basin of shaving water. I then blow any "loose" water out several times with my breath.

Works for me. I believe a new blade lasts longer, not a clean blade. :001_rolle

Thanks all for the replies and input. I guess any attempts to clean a razor blade are pretty crazy. So I will likely continue to do so.

I will not tell my wife, since she is already convinced that this whole "caring about shaving" thing is entirely nutty.

I'd worry more about damaging the edge from wiping than anything else. Since I replace the blade every week any amount of water is negligable for corrosion.

Top Bottom