What's new

Does anyone know of any adapter to make DE handles work with SE heads?

ok, that problem is solved. what about converting an SE handle to work with a DE? Imagine an old type head on the chain link handle.

I suppose you'd have to grind the threads off of the handle and drill and tap the handle. Luckily my old man is an oldschool manual machinist.
My inclination would be to look for brass drawer-pulls, fittings, spacers, anything else that is roughly 1/4"-3/8" diameter, drilled through, and possibly already tapped. You don't want to alter the handle, and, frankly, its much easier to ream or tap through-and-through, rather than trying to bottom-tap a long parallell(the handle) in soft-metal.

Okay, here are pictures of my Tradere/Gem Junior with the 3/8 inch 10 32 set screw adapter. I really like my open comb Tradere, for me it is actually a RAD killer, but sometimes I still like to use my other SE heads. So now I get to use most of my SE heads with my Tradere handle or any of my other Gillette style 3 piece handles.

Attachments

• $Tradere GEM 005.jpg
    $Tradere GEM 005.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 100
  • $Tradere GEM 006.jpg
    $Tradere GEM 006.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 99
  • $Tradere GEM 007.jpg
    $Tradere GEM 007.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 100
  • $Tradere GEM 008.jpg
    $Tradere GEM 008.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 99
  • $Tradere GEM 009.jpg
    $Tradere GEM 009.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 99
Okay, here are pictures of my Tradere/Gem Junior with the 3/8 inch 10 32 set screw adapter. I really like my open comb Tradere, for me it is actually a RAD killer, but sometimes I still like to use my other SE heads. So now I get to use most of my SE heads with my Tradere handle or any of my other Gillette style 3 piece handles.

That's pretty sweet as all my SE's handles seem just a bit, or a lot too short.

I purchased both 10-32 3/8th and 10-32 1/2th. Although both threaded easily into any handle, they where too large to fit in the head.

I purchased both 10-32 3/8th and 10-32 1/2th. Although both threaded easily into any handle, they where too large to fit in the head.

Cannot imagine what the problem is, have you tried more than one head, Maybe post a picture of the head and handle disassembled that you are trying. Shoot me PM and I will send you one of my heads if you like.

Last edited:
Cannot imagine what the problem is, have you tried more than one head, Maybe post a picture of the head and handle disassembled that you are trying. Shoot me PM and I will send you one of my heads if you like.

Found a GEM this morning that has smaller threads. When I tired the 10 32 x 3/8" set screw on my Damanskeene, it would not fit. My Damanskeens has smaller threads, maybe an 8 32 setscrew. Will require a trip to the hardware store to know for sure.

Couple of quick thoughts, guys:

1) Buy the STAINLESS set-screws.:001_tongu They will save you grief.
2) I'm not sure when 10-32 was "standardized" for safety razors, over here, but bear in mind, Star/Kampfe et al. made European lines that surely floated back and forth across the Pond- could be metric.

Very odd, on the Damaskeene and one of the 1912's it does not work, BUT on the "chain link" ornate handle 1912, it works fine. I also noticed that handle is not interchangeable with the other two heads.

Daniel, I have not handled a Damaskeene, so I'm not sure what the threaded opening looks like on that model, nor have I taken particular note on the variety of 1912s I have. Brass is soft, so from a machinists'/designers' point of view, finer/tighter threads are more wear resistant (i.e., an 8-32 has less overall thread surface to bear stress than a 10-32- you're less likely to strip it out; a -40 pitch spreads the bearing surface over a greater area, providing strength in a slightly different manner, but finer is easier to cross-thread). A 10-32 neck is larger diameter, and more shear stress resistant, but has fewer threads, so more torque is carried by less surface.

All that to say, it looks like an evolutionary issue, as makers decided whether it was better to design against cracked necks related to dropping(favors 10-32), or stripped threads (favors 8-32 or mid-range metric pitch).

The earlier Gem, ER & Star razors had a different thread size. The later ones went to 10/32. Exactly when the change was made I do not know. I used to ask Bob these questions, may he RIP.

I tried a few I have and here are the results: Gem Jr bar, smaller. Damaskeene smaller. I think these are 8/32 threaded.

ER 1924 10/32. Newer ER 1912 model known as the New Improved 10/32. Streamline 10/32.

Try a Gillette three-piece threaded cap in your Gem, ER or Star head. If the thread works it is a 10/32 and the little set screw will adapt your handles just fine. I will also take a look at the hardware store and see what I can find.

Last edited:
ok, that problem is solved. what about converting an SE handle to work with a DE? Imagine an old type head on the chain link handle.

I suppose you'd have to grind the threads off of the handle and drill and tap the handle. Luckily my old man is an oldschool manual machinist.
Nahh you could Probably get some kind of hollow Stud and Thread 2 sides differently ?

Wow that Tradere Handle sure looks sweet on that Gem Junior :drool:

Okay, here are pictures of my Tradere/Gem Junior with the 3/8 inch 10 32 set screw adapter.

Need help with this. As my wife would say, "I need directions for an i***t". The i***t would, admittedly, be me. What should I be looking for in the store? I went into a local hardware store and asked for a 10/32 "adapter" screw. The fellow looked at me like I was from Mars. Then I got myself into the embarrassing situation of trying to explain what I needed it for. The situation rapidly deteriorated. He did show me 1 inch screws 10/32. Is this what I want? Plain old screws and hacksaw the head off and this single screw will fit both the EJ handles and the Gem heads? Is there a better choice of screw size?

No a set screw. I'm going to Home depot this weekend to get some screw stock that will fit the Damaskeene. You could get a threaded rod and cut the length you want

Last edited:
That would definitely work. When you go to the hardware store... take your 1912 head and the handle you want to attach. and try a set screw or some rod that you could cut. Right now you could take the 1912 handle and screw it into the tech, new or other handle to see how the screw in the 1912 fits. or you could screw the tech head into your 1912 head. That's how I first started thinking in this vein.

That would definitely work. When you go to the hardware store... take your 1912 head and the handle you want to attach. and try a set screw or some rod that you could cut.

That's the ticket. Bring the parts into the hardware store, and not a place like Home Depot or Lowe's (bless their souls), rather a good Ace or equivalent. Set screws will of course work if you find the right length; my local Ace has bins with threaded studs of various lengths, in both English and metric sizes. Go gently when trying them...don't force anything and end up cross-threading the razor socket. It should go in easily, but if not, try a different thread pitch.

Home Depot = Home Run

Thank you all for this incredible advice.

Attachments

• $IMG_1189.jpg
    $IMG_1189.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 45
  • $IMG_1190.jpg
    $IMG_1190.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 45
  • $IMG_1191.jpg
    $IMG_1191.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 45
Top Bottom