What's new

Do you have a favorite DE Blade?

I have 2 blades that work very well for me the Derby Extras and Astras! I use both and will use both!

Charlie

Red pack Personnas. I've tried and then revisited all the blades in the West Coast Sampler. These are so inexpensive yet, the smoothest of the bunch for me.

My current favorite is Astra Superior Platinum ... I bought a 100-pack, and I'm only on blade #2, but I'm very, very impressed!

Prior to this, I was using ASR blades under the Exchange Select label (aka Personna Reds at Walmart.) Cheap, readily available, consistently good results. At just 15 cents each, I was putting in a fresh blade for every shave.

Yes, Feather. It is sharp and fairly long-lasting. I like Swedish Gillettes as well, but they are expensive and hard to find.

Tim
I got 5 very good to BBS shaves with the last Feather that I used. Today I started back with Wilkinson to re-visit my impressions of it. Current ranking is

Feather
Astra Superior
Wilkinson Sword (white/German)

I've yet to try the Swedes.

Of all the ones I've tried so far (Merkur, Gillette Swedes, Derby, Crystal, Bic, Feather, Treet Blue Special, & Sharp Stainless) Sharp Stainless are my current favorite.

I still need to try the Gillette 7'Oclock line before I'll know for sure.

Whatever is available wherever I happen to be at that sells DEs when I remember that I need blades :biggrin:

This led me to start the use of a glass as part of a my unwrap routine, but I get very good results that way.

I like Feathers, but recently have begun to prefer Derbys. I suspect that the difference is my improved technique. The super-sharpness of the Feathers gave me a better shave as a newbie, but as my technique has improved over the last year or so, the Derbys now give a smoother shave with fewer nicks and less irritation.

hey Langod....i like quote in sig!!!!!!!! for the post...I am still in the trial and error process with DE razors but for know I see to like Derbys....But where I am new (about 3weeks) I am sticking with derbys cause they are tearing my face up and trying to stay consistent with products until My face and techinques are stable..

Derby Extra.
Smooth and I can get a week of shaves from each blade. I have so far only had one bad blade in the year or so that I have been using them.

Using a Treet Classic Durasharp coated carbon steel blade this week. Have more on order as an everyday go-to blade.

I like the 7O'clock SharpEdge (yellow wrapper) for special occasions, but not that much better to justify the cost on a regular basis.

There's also a stash of Dorco ST-301's which is my current go-to blade, but I like the Treets better.

I use a Sticky with the much maligned Merkur blades. It really works. Merkur blades seem thicker than anything else i've used (though i have only tried a few others) and maybe that is a factor. Either way, smooth BBS with minimal cuts. Merkur + Sticky, who would have guessed them to be a perfect combo? I recommend this combo to Sticky users.

Do you have a favorite DE blade? Why?

Do everyone try every blade and see if it work or not? Does it make a close shave. Are these sharp or not too sharp? I read a reviews at this forum, and seem that the Derby's and Crystal are very popular and Personna Platium, I don't know to spell it, so anyway, this also it very good bald.

What do you think?

Chris

I'm a Derby man. They are sharp enough, smooth enough, readily available, and cheap. Also, my wife likes the shaves I get from Derbys.

I've tried several other blades, including Merkur, Feather, ASR Personna, Dorco 300, Crystal. Derbys give me the closest, most comfortable shave so far, so I'm sticking with them.

Crystals won out after my year-long blade testing extravaganza. That's for my face, though. YMMV. Feathers were sharpest, to be sure, but didn't last very long and, frankly, cost too much.

I might have to say +1 on this. For the price, a Crystal is hard to beat. That feather is sharp no doubt and chops everything in it's pass, but IMO, go down hill without much notice.

Top Bottom