What's new

Do aftershaves expire?

I found a very old bottle of a green minty aftershave.

It looks very very old, like 5+ years or something.

Is it still good to use?

I wouldn't know why not. The alcohol will preserve it for ages but the more air in the bottle (the more it is empty) the more the fragrance might diminish.

But 5 or 10 years is nothing really for an unused bottle.

You can keep aftershaves for years and years. The only thing that may happen is that, as with perfumes, the top notes might mellow or wear off. No big deal--enjoy!

I found a very old bottle of a green minty aftershave.

It looks very very old, like 5+ years or something.

Is it still good to use?

+1 to all the above opinions, but if you're going to use it, you might want to give it a good shake beforehand. If it's been undisturbed for those 5 years, some separation might have occurred. Good luck!

I did recently find the very end of a bottle of Gillette Cool Wave AS that I had not touched for over 5 years...it was discolored and brownish/yellowish-looking but still smelled fine. I used it up (about 3-4 uses left) and chucked the bottle.

Glad to know I have been raiding Wall Mart for the past 8 years right before Christmas or the day after for my wifes favorite Scent on me Stedson. I get the 4 oz col /AS sets for 1-3 bucks. 3 years ago I bought the 1 oz stocking stuffers for 50 cents each. Just used up the last on this summer.

"Do aftershaves expire?"

I just saw a set of something called Citation by Mennen sell on the 'bay, a bottle of AS and cologne. It dates from the Kennedy administration so, for the sake of the buyer, I hope not.

I imagine depending on how/where they were stored, the alcohol based aftershaves may loose a tad bit of scent, but not likely much. Aside from that, they're probably perfectly ok.

Non alcohol ones may be a different story, depending on the ingredients though.

i imagine depending on how/where they were stored, the alcohol based aftershaves may loose a tad bit of scent, but not likely much. Aside from that, they're probably perfectly ok.

+1

I just discovered some relics in the back of my bedside cabinet and they smell as good as the day they were made. So in my experiance no, they go on and on. :thumbup1:

As AS ages, it become increasingly more volatile. The Human Torch became said mutant because he chose to douse himself with an ancient bottle of bay rum of unknown origin.

I imagine depending on how/where they were stored, the alcohol based aftershaves may loose a tad bit of scent, but not likely much. Aside from that, they're probably perfectly ok.

If that is the case I'm planning on buying a gallon jug of Masters aftershave at a local barber/beauty supply store in my future.

Cheaper by the ounce and should last a few years.:blushing:

My father just opened a bottle of OS from 1984 and it smelled great. Classic white glass bottle with the gray plastice stopper.

Top Bottom