What's new

DIY Flax Linen Fire Hose Strop

I bought a 4 foot section of fire hose off of the bay. I messaged the seller to see how he knew this was 100% flax and not a cotton linen mix like so many fire hoses were and his answer seemed pretty convincing so I pulled the trigger with the hopes that I could make a few stops from the 4ft. He also mentioned that he had been unable to source anymore 100%linen hose and was only able to find linen/cotton blend so this was the last of what he had which made me a little more comfortable trying it. It was being sold in 2ft sections and I prefer 14-16inches for the actual stropping material, so 48" would be perfect for 3 strops. I may have to make another 2 and see if I can sell one...or both...
The last 2 hanging strops I made I stitched the leather with wax coated linen thread with a saddle stitch and the cotton webbing I just sewed the ends overlapping the D rings with the sewing machine, so this was my first foray into copper rivets. I love how it looks. My D-rings are off a little...not uniform and my rivet placement is questionable. I don't have a dedicated jig so each one is a "one of a kind" haha. I'll just put a leather lace on the one end and tie it to the clasp on my leather strop.

I am still waiting to shave with an edge after using it. I stropped a couple of razors with it and went to leather just to see if I could see/hear any discernible difference in the FOTF test but I couldn't tell much. This obviously won't be a scientific comparison, but I am curious if I'll notice anything at all in the shave.

I have been using a 2" webbed cotton strop with crox on one side and plain on the other. I hit the crox only when I feel like the edge might be lacking a bit. However, I did notice the first time I ever used the plain cotton side before leather that the edge felt much better than with only leather alone. An increase in keenness was evident. I'm curious if I'll notice a difference going from the cotton to the linen.
I may post my findings even as just anecdotal musings at best.

Very nice work!

Thanks David

This one was fun to see come together and turned out better than I anticipated. I have been getting better and better results with the stones you sent my way(I still can't thank you enough), and the cotton webbing you threw in has been a real difference maker!!! Here's to hoping the linen treats me just as well!!

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Thanks David

This one was fun to see come together and turned out better than I anticipated. I have been getting better and better results with the stones you sent my way(I still can't thank you enough), and the cotton webbing you threw in has been a real difference maker!!! Here's to hoping the linen treats me just as well!!
If its anything like the piece of fire hose I have it will blow that cotton away. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

Well, I've used the linen hose strop a few times so far. The first couple of times was with a razor that I am second guessing the edge on. My first reaction is that it didn't do ANYTHING for the edge. After a little thought, maybe it's the edge that wasn't as good as I remembered it and the linen wasn't to blame for anything.

Razor #2 was used and it was another comfortable shave as I had gotten before from this one.

I then used it on razor #3 that I didn't remember being a superb edge but just decent, and it was fantastic...sharp and smooth.

By no means scientific in any way shape or form...I can't verify one way or the other that the linen does anything different than the cotton.

I will continue to use it on the rest of my razors as I rotate though them all, but I'm guessing I still won't be able to tell anything as much as I would like to.

I am also the same guy that just switched DE blades for my head shaves and can't tell a bit of difference. If someone had switched and not told me I would never have suspected it had been changed....I'm not sure my skin cares much. I have never been accused of having a sensitivity issue, that's for sure...ha!

I have been using it for daily shaves since I finished it almost 3 weeks now. I feel like I have been having smoother shaves with less AS splash burn than before. My issue is that immediately before I made this strop I had been honing all of my razors that had fallen out of service and even touched up the couple I had been using regularly. I don't know if the edges had just all been improved over what they were before or if this linen strop is responsible.

It has only been in the past month/3 weeks that I have been able to do near BBS 2 pass(2.5 pass really) shaves on back to back days without having irritation begin to build enough to where I needed a break with a day of just a 1 pass WTG shave to "recover." I really don't think my technique has changed as I've been at this for almost 3 years now with a straight, so it has to be a combination of the improved honing/edges and the linen strop.

Either way...I like what I'm getting.
I have a King 1k, King 6k, Norton 8k, and a Cnat-PHIG, CHUG, C12k or whatever else anyone calls it. I've grown weary of the Cnat and have ordered a coticule bout that will be coming in soon. I look forward to introducing another variable to this experiement...I'm not sure I'll ever really know the true impact of the linen at this point, but it certainly hasn't hurt. I don't think there was an over night-use it one time-type of night and day improvement, but I do think the linen has contributed to a transition to smoother edges.

Here's to more experiments...more variables...more fun...lol

I have been using it for daily shaves since I finished it almost 3 weeks now. I feel like I have been having smoother shaves with less AS splash burn than before. My issue is that immediately before I made this strop I had been honing all of my razors that had fallen out of service and even touched up the couple I had been using regularly. I don't know if the edges had just all been improved over what they were before or if this linen strop is responsible.

It has only been in the past month/3 weeks that I have been able to do near BBS 2 pass(2.5 pass really) shaves on back to back days without having irritation begin to build enough to where I needed a break with a day of just a 1 pass WTG shave to "recover." I really don't think my technique has changed as I've been at this for almost 3 years now with a straight, so it has to be a combination of the improved honing/edges and the linen strop.

Either way...I like what I'm getting.
I have a King 1k, King 6k, Norton 8k, and a Cnat-PHIG, CHUG, C12k or whatever else anyone calls it. I've grown weary of the Cnat and have ordered a coticule bout that will be coming in soon. I look forward to introducing another variable to this experiement...I'm not sure I'll ever really know the true impact of the linen at this point, but it certainly hasn't hurt. I don't think there was an over night-use it one time-type of night and day improvement, but I do think the linen has contributed to a transition to smoother edges.

Here's to more experiments...more variables...more fun...lol

I dont know the answer either but i do know their is a BIG difference between my fire hose linen and my TM linen strops ....the fire hose material works much much better for same reason

Top Bottom