What's new

Discussion/ Review: Cadet Razors from Shave a Buck!!

I havent shaved with the head yet but I got the OC in the mail today. Looking forward to trying it out. The finish is very good and it locks up tight with the blade. I will note that the threaded rod is very long, perhaps twice as long as any other razor I have, so the only handle I have that permits it to tighten up is a New bar handle. I generally like fatter handles so I may need to cut it down if it is a keeper.

You guys are a bunch of enablers.
Been following this thread and finally caved. Ordered a TP-27 with open comb head.
Now I can't wait until it arrives.

You guys are a bunch of enablers.
Been following this thread and finally caved. Ordered a TP-27 with open comb head.
Now I can't wait until it arrives.

I am sure you won't be disappointed they really are awesome, the TP-27 with the OC head is one of the two I just ordered as well.

I just got my TP-O2 OC and it is a beauty. Excellent finish. The handle is wonderful. Compared to Merkuer 23C, the Cade has a nicer finish (Merkur has ugly machinning ring near the neck). The plating is thicker and just looks better. As for the head, the machinning is slightly better on Merkur, but that company has been machinning stuff for ages they ought to get it right by now. I also own a Progress and it irritates me that the adjustment dial is not fixed on 1 when it is tight all the way in. Would have it killed Merkur to spend one more minute on making sure it is set properly? I'd pay a few extra bucks to get it done right... what happend to good old German manufacturing?

Shaveabuck is giving Merkur a heck of a run for they money and they seriously need to shape up to stay in the game.

I posted a complete review of the Open Comb here, and plan on doing a review of the TTO-15 soon. As previously mentioned, the Cadet Open Comb has become my favorite open comb razor, no matter the price, manufacturer, or vintage. Surprisingly the TTO-15 I like a lot, and I am not a TTO fan.

I currently have the TP-26 with both heads and the TTO-15. I am planning on ordering the TP-24 with an Open Comb, one to have a spare head, and two, I really like the handle.

Here are a few pics for those who enjoy razor eye candy
proxy.php

Cadet OC Head mounted on Edwin Jagger DE89L handle

proxy.php

Cadet TP-26 with Open Comb Head. For those who like a heavy handle, this is very nice, feels perfectly balanced in your hands.

proxy.php

Cadet TTO-15. Very nice knurling on handle, and like the TP-26, has a nice weight and balance.

proxy.php

Another picture of the Cadet Open Comb Head paired to the DE89L handle. If you didn't know better, you would swear this was a new Edwin Jagger model.

Joe has done a great job bringing this Cadet Line to market. The Quality Control on these ate better than many razors costing two, three even four time the dollar amoun

The Cadet OC is a great new OC head to the market. Congrats to Joe on getting it out. The quality is very good. It works particularly well for me in that it is not super aggressive but shaves very closely. I think the key for me is that it has very little blade gap but good blade exposure. Most razors go the other way. Its basically what the Merkur OC should be but isnt (the Merkur doesnt have enough blade exposure to shave closely IMO). In terms of aggressiveness, I'd rank it above the News but below the Fatip (but shaving as close as the Fatip).

I was able to measure my TTO-15 at .81mm fully closed.

Good information Gary...so the same as Slim Adjustable @ 5 or British Red Tip.

I used the Cadet TP-26 yesterday (I prefer the old name of SS-26, as TP reminds me of, well TP), and while the head geometry looks the same as the R89/DE89 I found it to be much more efficient, providing far greater stubble reduction.

proxy.php

My concern was that people would mistake SS for stainless steel so I thought it better to use TP for three piece.

Last edited:
My though was that people would mistake SS for stainless steel so i thought it better TP for three piece.

Well that makes complete sense...thanks for the explanation Joe :biggrin1:

I had another outstanding shave with the Cadet Open Comb mounted to the iKon Handle and paired with a Rapira blade. As effortless as you can get. I had also used the Herbs of Bulgaria Lavender (also available from Shave A Buck), it is fast becoming one of my favorite non-mentholated creams. It lathers great, is very slick and provides an excellent amount of cushion.

proxy.php

I'll give the short review first in case some don't want to read much. GREAT RAZOR, GREAT PRICE, My favorite razor at any price point!:thumbup:

Alright now for the details. I got a TP-02 and a OC head only 9 days ago, and I have used it since I got it, trying a different blade everyday, and paired the head with many of my handles. My first impression when I opened the box was, wow that's a nice finish. The finish of this razor is way beyond its price point. In fact I do not own a razor with a better finish. I couldn't find any flaw, and believe me I tried. My only complaint is that the thread on the head is very long, which will not allow the head to pair with some of my handles with out trimming it. That said, it was easy to trim and now pairs with any handle I want. My first shave I used the TP-02 the razor is very nicely balanced, and the handle has some good weight to it. My first pass I knew I was in love:001_wub:. I used a Med Prep blade and MWF. The shave was great. I got a very close, comfortable, shave with zero irritation. This is the loudest razor I own, even louder than my R41. On a aggression level I would put it with the Gillette NEW. The razor is very forgiving though, I really don't know how to explain it. It's aggressively smooth, if that makes sense. I have used a total of 9 different blades in this razor and every one has worked very well. My favorite blade in it was my good old Bolzano. Anyway long story short, this is my new favorite razor. I have over 20 razors from vintage to brand new, from cheap to top of the line. This razor out performs them all. The finish, great, the design, awesome, the functionality in a class all it's own. Not to say there are not a lot of great razors available, and as all ways YMMV. I can't express enough how impressed I am with this razor. I like it so much I have 2 more on the way. I will say with everything shaving related YMMV. But for me this is what I have been searching for since I started trying different razors.
And to Joe at Shave A Buck, thank you so much for introducing me to my shaving soul mate.:001_wub: The beautiful Cadet OC. Keep up the good work my man.

I'll give the short review first in case some don't want to read much. GREAT RAZOR, GREAT PRICE, My favorite razor at any price point!:thumbup:

Alright now for the details. I got a TP-02 and a OC head only 9 days ago, and I have used it since I got it, trying a different blade everyday, and paired the head with many of my handles. My first impression when I opened the box was, wow that's a nice finish. The finish of this razor is way beyond its price point. In fact I do not own a razor with a better finish. I couldn't find any flaw, and believe me I tried. My only complaint is that the thread on the head is very long, which will not allow the head to pair with some of my handles with out trimming it. That said, it was easy to trim and now pairs with any handle I want. My first shave I used the TP-02 the razor is very nicely balanced, and the handle has some good weight to it. My first pass I knew I was in love:001_wub:. I used a Med Prep blade and MWF. The shave was great. I got a very close, comfortable, shave with zero irritation. This is the loudest razor I own, even louder than my R41. On a aggression level I would put it with the Gillette NEW. The razor is very forgiving though, I really don't know how to explain it. It's aggressively smooth, if that makes sense. I have used a total of 9 different blades in this razor and every one has worked very well. My favorite blade in it was my good old Bolzano. Anyway long story short, this is my new favorite razor. I have over 20 razors from vintage to brand new, from cheap to top of the line. This razor out performs them all. The finish, great, the design, awesome, the functionality in a class all it's own. Not to say there are not a lot of great razors available, and as all ways YMMV. I can't express enough how impressed I am with this razor. I like it so much I have 2 more on the way. I will say with everything shaving related YMMV. But for me this is what I have been searching for since I started trying different razors.
And to Joe at Shave A Buck, thank you so much for introducing me to my shaving soul mate.:001_wub: The beautiful Cadet OC. Keep up the good work my man.

Thanks for the informative post. I just received my Cadet razors over the weekend and agree with the quality of finish overall. What is the easiest way to trim the long thread on the cap? Unfortunately, the Cadet head as shipped does not work with many of my handles, including the Weber variants.

Thanks for the informative post. I just received my Cadet razors over the weekend and agree with the quality of finish overall. What is the easiest way to trim the long thread on the cap? Unfortunately, the Cadet head as shipped does not work with many of my handles, including the Weber variants.

I am a welder by trade so I have lots of access to a lot of metal working tools. If you have access to a Demel or a Die Grinder, that is what I used, with a cut off wheel. After the cut I used a grinding stone to clean the edge. I put a dab of silver paint on tip after it was done, which is probably not necessary but improved the appearance. I would think you could use a hacksaw to cut it and then clean the edge with a file or sandpaper as well... I hope this helps.

Top Bottom