What's new

Discussion/ Review: Cadet Razors from Shave a Buck!!

I have only tried 2 other OC's, a 30's Bar Handle NEW and a Ball Handle Old Type. IMO the Cadet is more aggressive than the NEW and equal to the Old Type. But it shaves a little different than the Old Type due to the increased weight and length of the handle. For me, I had to really pay attention to "no pressure" and let the razor do the work, but I got a fantastic BBS shave.

Thanks for the comparison

View attachment 268594
Cadet OC Head with EJ DE89-LL barrel

Just received my Cadet OC head this afternoon. Laced up a Jagger DE89 barrel, loaded an Astra SP blade and did short strip under one sideburn--I shaved earlier today and didn't want to venture into a second shave. This head is very smooth and not as abrasive as an R41 or a Fatip. Actually, Azarius has accurately described this OC after one use. My maiden shave will be tomorrow a.m. This appears to be an exceptional buy from Joe at shaveabuck. Thanks to Joe for offering this OC head at such a value.

great info! I'll definitely add it to the list of things to try. although I'm not seeing just the OC head on their site...

The Cadet OC head-only is likely sold out :001_unsur.
I saw it on the website earlier today, and then checked again now, with the intent of getting one - figured I would give it a chance for $12. All the buzz generated by earlier posts must have led to a frenzy of orders...oh well.

I bought my Cadet Converter Head specifically for the Parker 98R handle.

proxy.php

Meanwhile, I am trying this one out now.

proxy.php

Yeah, looks like it.. Hopefully they'll be back in stock soon!

The Cadet OC head-only is likely sold out :001_unsur.
I saw it on the website earlier today, and then checked again now, with the intent of getting one - figured I would give it a chance for $12. All the buzz generated by earlier posts must have led to a frenzy of orders...oh well.

Just finished my first shave with the Cadet OC. Great razor! Check BOTOC thread ---for details from those of us who recently bought this s OC head. Thus far all of us agree--it's an exceptional value in an OC. Below is the overview I posted on BOTOC.

View attachment 268704

Shave prep was just as I'd do when I shave with a Tech, I wanted to see how the Cadet would preform under my every-day shaving procedure. I have an Astra SP in the razor, but will try it with a Polsilver next time--this addresses the curiosity factor in a wet-shaver's DNA.

My first pass, WTG, of course, went smoothly and the razor cleaved a lot of 24-hour stubble. My second pass was gently against the grain, again, smooth pass; and followed up with some pickup on my neck and under my chin where I have multi-directional beard growth. There is no question that, for me, this is the smoothest shaving, with the closeness of a traditional OC, that I've ever had. And there wasn't a weeper in the shave--it could happen in the future if I'm less than mindful about what I'm doing, but I had zero weepers and no razor burn. This is an excellent OC that shaves much easier and smoother for me than either the R41 or the Fatip; and compared to the mild Merkur 1904, the Cadet is a completely different razor because it shaves as an OC rather than like the 1904, which shaves more like a closed-comb but has the beginnings of what I've come to know as OC attributes.The Cadet is a true OC razor that preforms like a razor costing considerably more money,i.e., the shave it is capable of delivering and the fit/finish of this OC head.

The Cadet is much smoother than the Fatips I had, much kinder than the R41, and different in feel from the Gillette Old Type, not less or more, just different. This is my OC razor. I don't think that I could use it daily, but I will be able to use two to three times a week with ease. The Astra preformed just fine, but I am really curious to see how a Polsilver SI feels in the Cadet. Trying different blades is a part of fine tuning a new DE razor.

I agree with Arley's review of this razor. And, for me, I'm not sure I could ask for anything more in an OC than what I found in the Cadet this morning. I have a little learning curve re the angle at which I shave those pesky-beard-growth areas, but it's minimal. This is a great razor--if you're thinking about buying a TP-01 or 02 or an OC head alone, you'll be making a great buy.

Where are these Cadets made? China? If so, that's a deal-breaker for me.

Jeff--we share the same sense of China-manufactured products. Cadets are made in India, as another person said. The quality of the OC head I purchased is as good as a Jagger if not superior to EJ's heads.

Jeff--we share the same sense of China-manufactured products. Cadets are made in India, as another person said. The quality of the OC head I purchased is as good as a Jagger if not superior to EJ's heads.
Thanks bro! Glad to hear it's not from China...and that you like yours.

Great review, DEGuy. I'm looking forward to trying one of these. An open comb that's smoother than the Fatip appeals to me. Hopefully the head is stocked again soon.

Wow, this thread has really exploded in the last few days!! I am glad to hear others are happy with their Cadet razors as well!! :thumbup:

Except for two days where I shaved with my (new to me) Schick Eversharp Hydromagic 500 injector, I have used the Cadet every day since I received it. :biggrin1:

Well today was the test of the Cadet OC Converter Head with the Parker 98R handle. The head is as aggressive as my Old Type and New Long Comb Gillette razors and slightly less aggressive than the Gillette New Improved or the Gillette New Short Comb. Excellent two pass shave. This is also slightly less aggressive than the Cadet TTO-15 I used for the three days prior to today. The razor had an almost true center balance due to the weight of the handle. It also behaved both balance and weight wise like the TTO-15 (no surprise there). If the quality of heads and plating can stay at this level then this will be a boon to OC lovers.

proxy.php

Well I have been shaving with my Cadet TP-02 exclusively since I got it 3 days ago. I must say this is one fine shaving razor one of my favorites. I get very good audible feedback, definitely the loudest razor I own . I can put any of my blades in it and it does wonderful. I get a very close and very comfortable shave. It is not R41 aggressive but, I would consider it a aggressive razor. The handles are nice and heavy, giving the razor a nice balance. The finish to me was great no flaws that I could find. Mine had a finish that I would expect on a razor far more expensive. I liked mine so much that I just ordered 2 more of the OC heads on different handles. For me this razor shaves, looks, and feels better than razors far beyond its price. I thought that this razor would shave more like my FaTip, but I didn't find them very similar at all, other than the appearance of the head, it shaved much more like my Joris. I love OC razors like the NEW LC and SC, Old Type, New Standard, Joris and yes I would put the Cadet OC head in there class. This Cadet OC is the real deal and a steal for under $25. When I got mine I also got the OC head only for $12, I put the head on a Old Tech Fat handle. I think the handle is a little to light, because it does a nice job but not nearly as nice as my TP-02. I wish I had a nice Bulldog handle to put on this puppy. I can't say enough how surprised and happy I am with this razor. Definitely the best bang for the buck razor I have seen. I can't speak on the Closed Comb heads as I have not tried them, but if they are even close to the OC heads they are worth far more than their price tag says. I already can't wait for my next 2 to get here.

Top Bottom