What's new

Discussion/ Review: Cadet Razors from Shave a Buck!!

Good review. I like the brass construction. That alone is enough for me to give them a shot. I can always re-plate if needed/desired. Great price too.

I see no issue with the plating, It is fine and I do not know what flaws John spoke of in this. Besides, how many Merkurs and Jaggers have come through recently with plating issues.

I see no issue with the plating, It is fine and I do not know what flaws John spoke of in this. Besides, how many Merkurs and Jaggers have come through recently with plating issues.

The plating on the bottom of the studs on the cap is "bubbled". It wasn't severe enough to warrant replacing the razor, so I simply listed it as a minor plating issue in my review. :001_cool:

John, nice write up. You got me curious. I'm seriously considering the same model you got, and adding the OC head.

The only question remaining for me is do you have fiddle around to lineup the blade exposure on each side of the head, or can you just drop the blade in and tighten?

I replaced the blade today. I simply put it in, and tighten the razor down. No special treatment needed. :thumbup:

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I got my 3 in today so thought I would post some photos for reference if anyone wanted to see them.

You're not hijacking the thread, the whole point of this thread was to share information, photos, and opinions about these new razors.

Thanks for posting all of the photos, it really shows quite a bit of detail about these razors, and could help someone who is on the fence about purchasing one.

Glad you enjoy your purchase. Not too much now a days will measure up to the old Gillette and I doubt even Gillette would make razors that good today once again. These handles are solid which is a plus for them, some old Gillette ones were not.

There are plans for other finishes including rhodium, brushed or matte, and others as we go along. Also more style of heads in the works including the yuma and a few others. Twist to open at the base is in development.

Last edited:
The OC head looks like the Fatip head on my piccolo. Would be good to hear if they are as aggressive or a little less so.

Also do you (shave a buck) mail AS to the UK? as I've just browsed the site (E-bay aswell) and cant see any disclaimers.

Last edited:
I'll probably grab one or more of these. However, the handles are a looking a tad on the long side for my taste (but we'll see after I've tried one). Here's a nod for some shorter (but still thick) handles if they're looking for feedback. I'd love to see something with the proportions of the fatboy/40's aristocrat, etc. The grip looks really good on these, and that's really key for me.

jdjones: Thanks for posting the detailed photos. Any chance of your taking a couple photos of the Cadet TP-01 with a blade in the head. Curious to see how much blade is exposed.

Hey Joe, are there any promotions for B&B members? I'm at a toss up between the EJ DE89 or the Cadet with the same head, possibly in black handle. Also looking to buy some Arko or other soaps from you as well.

I've used my TP-27 for 3 shaves so far and it has bitten me hard each time. Maybe it's me but this particular razor seems quite aggressive, very much like a Parker 91r. Looks good and feels good in my hand and I'll try it a few more times to be sure. Just don't want to continue being a blood sacrifice to the shaving gods.

I used my TP-01 OC last night for the first time, and got a first rate, irritation free shave. I did get a weeper on my chin and under my nose, but I wrote those off to the new Personna Med (I usually get a couple with the first go of one of those blades in any razor). The shave was close and smooth all over, especially this barbed wire patch I have on the left side of my neck.

If I were to rank my 3 in order of preference after using all of them, the TP-01 OC would be first, followed in order by the TP-27 (EJ head) and the TTO-11. All 3 are great for the price I paid, just a personal preference to the OC.

Great news! I get my Cadet OC head this week and look forward to giving it a go. Thanks for reporting.

Comments from a casual observer, thread follower... From the reviews and photos it sure looks like these Caedt razors are really nice and certainly worthy of attention here. I'm a vintage Gillette guy but it would be enlightening to see what the users here think on how the cadet stack up against new EJ and Merkurs, Lords, Parkers. In any event, I'm thinking that the Cadet and Joe's pricing may be a great razor for starter kits, newbs, or anyone looking for a new DE razor.

Thanks for sharing, but when takin a picture try and use a solid back ground, maybe its just me but man oh man, My eyes were killing me looking at that picture :eek:)

Comments from a casual observer, thread follower... From the reviews and photos it sure looks like these Caedt razors are really nice and certainly worthy of attention here. I'm a vintage Gillette guy but it would be enlightening to see what the users here think on how the cadet stack up against new EJ and Merkurs, Lords, Parkers. In any event, I'm thinking that the Cadet and Joe's pricing may be a great razor for starter kits, newbs, or anyone looking for a new DE razor.

SteveWY--I think you're spot on. It's tough to best or even equal the old Gillette razors. I fee that the Gillette razors still have both form and function, even compared with today's razors. The newer razors, in my opinion, really cannot compare with the Gillettes of days gone by. The best they hope to do is come close or equal the tried-and-true Gillettes. I'm using several 47-year-old Gillettes and they are, to me, the best. I've been looking for a Gillette Old Type OC, and in the meantime I've ordered a Cadet OC head.

Top Bottom