What's new

Dip chillers - who knew?

Well, someone here knew--my apologies for forgetting his name--and I learned about the poor man's scuttle, the Norpro dip chiller shown below. Works great, and thank you to that anonymous member.

You know how when you buy something from Amazon you soon get an email informing you of other products just like it? Since I don't give dinner parties involving dip (hot sauce is more like it) I had no idea that dip chillers were A Thing. Seems that it was my day to learn!

Now, I adore the beautiful pottery scuttles I regularly see here on B&B and I encourage everyone who has the means to support the terrific potters who create them by buying their products in large numbers. But for those impecunious types (such as myself), a dip chiller is an inexpensive entry into the indulgent bliss of scuttle-land.

Amazon may have others, too, but these were the ones they alerted me to in the email:

Norpro, $16.56

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006IW040/ref=pe_747400_116722470_em_1p_0_ti

$41QR45R2WNL._SX425_.jpg

Signature Housewares Sorrento collection, $21.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00518GYHY/ref=pe_747400_116722470_em_1p_1_ti

$81RtzsROn3L._SL1500_.jpg

2-pc ceramic dip chillers, $11.37

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GR420YW/ref=pe_747400_116722470_em_1p_2_ti

$41VpBP9EufL.jpg

This last appears to have a variety of colors, with prices all over the map.

None of these pages are informative about dimensions other than fluid capacity, alas. Search and ye shall find.

Good for you! I have had the white Norpro chiller for a while now and I think it works great as a sctuttle. Before I got it I didn't know if I was a scuttle guy or not, this was a cheap way to test a hunch.

Good for you! I have had the white Norpro chiller for a while now and I think it works great as a sctuttle. Before I got it I didn't know if I was a scuttle guy or not, this was a cheap way to test a hunch.

I've been interested in this for awhile now but can't find any dimensions. Could you possibly post the dimensions of the upper bowl that would be used for lather?

Not to come down on the OP for the information on choices out there but another idea is to support a forum vendor, such as West Coast Shaving, etc., and for similar price, get a real shave bowl there!

Supporting forum vendors is definitely a good idea. But finding a new creative way to use a regular household item is even better, I would say.

I've been interested in this for awhile now but can't find any dimensions. Could you possibly post the dimensions of the upper bowl that would be used for lather?

I actually started a thread about the white one a few months back. on the last post I had posted the dimentions:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/383875-super-cheap-scuttle!

it works great for me, but I just wish the inner bowl was deaper. I don't bowl lather, so I only really wanted a scuttle to keep the brush/lather warm between passes, and to prep the brush. it certainly does work though! and the price from the origional OP is a few dollars higher than what I paid for it too. its still a great deal, but its encroaching into the realm of real scuttles and bowls at that price......used ones anyway.

I actually started a thread about the white one a few months back. on the last post I had posted the dimentions:

it works great for me, but I just wish the inner bowl was deaper. I don't bowl lather, so I only really wanted a scuttle to keep the brush/lather warm between passes, and to prep the brush. it certainly does work though! and the price from the origional OP is a few dollars higher than what I paid for it too. its still a great deal, but its encroaching into the realm of real scuttles and bowls at that price......used ones anyway.

Thank you sir. I want a legit scuttle but with me just starting out in this shaving adventure it's hard to justify the price. I have a lot of other things ahead of a scuttle on my list.

Thank you sir. I want a legit scuttle but with me just starting out in this shaving adventure it's hard to justify the price. I have a lot of other things ahead of a scuttle on my list.

my my issue exactly. If I were to buy everything on my "want to get" list, I would need to take out a loan. Not to mention the wife would leave me. This is a good appetizer.

Thank you for popping in, shaversnapper--and thanks for the original idea!

BTW, what did you use for a gasket? It surely needs one.

Not to come down on the OP for the information on choices out there but another idea is to support a forum vendor, such as West Coast Shaving, etc., and for similar price, get a real shave bowl there!

Mike, I agree completely about supporting B&B's vendors, especially WCS, who have given me great service. (Hence my recommendation that those who can afford them get one of the fantastic shuttles we see posted here from time to time.) Still, not everyone has a spare $60 laying around, so my post was for them.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Gotta love it! The Amazon link shows "others also purchased" - get ready - Proraso and Arko.

As the dip no doubt.

The kitchenware folks are probably scratching their heads.

You mean your not buying this for the dip? What's DE shaving? We need to update our marketing plan.

Mike, I agree completely about supporting B&B's vendors, especially WCS, who have given me great service. (Hence my recommendation that those who can afford them get one of the fantastic shuttles we see posted here from time to time.) Still, not everyone has a spare $60 laying around, so my post was for them.

It's all good, I understand your point, I did not mean to sound like "one of those guys"! My only point was that one does not need to spend $60, I personally bought a nice, thick walled, nicely painted shave bowl from WCS for $17, hence the main reason of my post, is awareness of what's out there, which is also your subject matter, so I'm just expanding it!

Top Bottom