What's new

Difference between Mach3 and Mach3 Turbo?

Well, after 6 shaves with the M3, I still feel that the M3 Turbo gives me a smoother shave (smoother the first few shaves and fairly similar after that). Only slightly though. The M3 seems to be more nick prone, at least with my sensitive skin. Is that a measurement of smoothness? Both cartridges give me the same close shave. The strip on the M3 does not wear out as quickly compared to the strip on the M3 Turbo. That's a plus. I use one cartridge a week (6 shaves, take one day off). After 4-5 shaves with the M3 Turbo, the strip is pretty much gone. Some of the strip still remains even after my 6th shave with the M3. That strip does make a difference in the shave in my opinion. Now I think...is it worth the extra $.25 or so per catridge for the M3 Turbo?

Glad to hear you found something that works well for you. I use a Mach 3 fairly regularly and as long as I build a good lather, I get no irritation from it at all and I never nick myself. I would think that any advantage that the Turbo would provide over the basic Mach 3 would be minimal at best given a good lather to start with. It's been a while since I shaved with a Turbo (before I switched over to wetshaving, I think) so take that opinion with a grain of salt.

I agree Doug and Alex. Probably not worth it to spend the extra money on the M3 Turbos. I'll use the rest of my Turbos and stick with the M3s.

Last month, I bought a 5 pack of M3s and a 5 pack of M3 Turbos. I alternated one cartridge per week. To tell you the truth, I see no advantage of the Turbo over the regular M3. The Turbos may have been a touch smoother the first few shaves, but the regular M3s gave a more consistent shave through out the week.

My wife bought me a Tiffany's sterling Sensor when the razor was introduced in 1990. Last Christmas, I decided to treat myself and purchased an EJ Chatsworth set with M3 and super badger brush.

I am 64 and began wet shaving at age 18 with Old Spice. I used DE for years but remember cutting myself often. Now my eyes are bad and my hands shake a tad so even though I would enjoy a DE (because I am a purist) cartridges are my blade of choice.

I always thought I had a moderately heavy beard (need a daily shave) but here's the thing--I can shave for at least a month on an M3T without experiencing any unusual drag. I generally replace once a month but believe I could probably go longer. Sure, the strip goes after a week but it does not impact shave quality at all.

Right now I alternate between Trumper, EJ and C&E soaps.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I thought there was a strip of aloe or something like that on the Turbo version... I always bought regular because I was saving $3 per pack...

I never saw a difference between the two when I was using them.

It still surprises me just how brainwashed all you DE users are. I mean, I like DE's however I don't believe anyone could think for one second that they give a better shave than a cartridge. I mean, do you? Really?! I've used both all my life and I tell you what, when cartridges were invented it was truly a revelation, finally a shave that was quick, close and with virtually no chance of cuts or nicks. I think most of you on here criticising cartridges are either so new to a DE that you're convincing YOURSELVES they are superior to cartridges OR have never even tried a cartridge razor. If you're in the second group I truly hope nobody ever listens to you, if you haven't tried it then don't judge it. Good prep is good prep but I'm sorry, cartridge razors shave SO much better than DE's that its almost unbelievable to me that there are so many people on here saying that the Mach3 is junk or doesn't shave as good as a 50 year old razor. As always, YMMV but not really, if you shave better with a DE, you're shaving wrong.

dublinshaver

i agree that the cartridges are a good invention, super fast, convenient and readily available BUT DE shaving for me and im sure a lot of people is more fun and enjoyable, or at least thats why i do it ;)

It still surprises me just how brainwashed all you DE users are. I mean, I like DE's however I don't believe anyone could think for one second that they give a better shave than a cartridge. I mean, do you? Really?! I've used both all my life and I tell you what, when cartridges were invented it was truly a revelation, finally a shave that was quick, close and with virtually no chance of cuts or nicks. I think most of you on here criticising cartridges are either so new to a DE that you're convincing YOURSELVES they are superior to cartridges OR have never even tried a cartridge razor. If you're in the second group I truly hope nobody ever listens to you, if you haven't tried it then don't judge it. Good prep is good prep but I'm sorry, cartridge razors shave SO much better than DE's that its almost unbelievable to me that there are so many people on here saying that the Mach3 is junk or doesn't shave as good as a 50 year old razor. As always, YMMV but not really, if you shave better with a DE, you're shaving wrong.

I switched from a Schick Injector to cartridges in the 80's. I shaved with an Atra and then the Mach 3. I have always used a mug, soap and a brush. I recently went back to DE and Injector shaving as the price of cartridges have become very high.

I don't believe that I get a better shave with a DE or Injector but I get as good a shave as I did with cartridges. Given that DE and Injector blades are much less expensive than even Mach 3 cartridges and generate less waste, I am willing to forgo a little ease and need to be careful for the cost and waste savings.

I apologise if I came off a little hostile in my previous post, I had just read through the entire thread. I agree that for the price you can get a great shave with a DE, however I also think that cartridges get a bad rap on this forum sometimes. DE's do a great job and I love to use my Muhle, I also think though that the razors Gillette still make are great razors in their own right. I don't like the prices or the way they're advertised but they DO give a fast, efficient shave with minimal irritation.

The Turbo comes with the Turbo Encabulator:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7G7xOG2Ag[/YOUTUBE]

I apologise if I came off a little hostile in my previous post, I had just read through the entire thread. I agree that for the price you can get a great shave with a DE, however I also think that cartridges get a bad rap on this forum sometimes. DE's do a great job and I love to use my Muhle, I also think though that the razors Gillette still make are great razors in their own right. I don't like the prices or the way they're advertised but they DO give a fast, efficient shave with minimal irritation.

You bring up a valid point. The vast majority of men use a cartridge razor and get fine results. Heck, I did until SWMBO balked at the price of cartridges.

Top Bottom