What's new

DFS? BBS? What does it mean and what's the standard?

This has probably been posted---I can't seem to find it.

Can someone give me a rundown of the acronyms for shave quality---along with a brief statement of what constitutes each. What is your test for BBS?

I think I know BBS = barbershop
DFS= "damn fine shave?"

If someone could put them in order from worst (NBS- "no blade shave") to BBS, it would be appreciated.

What constitutes each is another one of those YMMV things because it's all relative..

For me a BBS passes the cotton ball test... rub a cotton ball on my face and it should leave not a single thread of cotton. Smooth as glass.

DFS won't pass the cotton ball test, but it will still be super smooth. In fact, for me a DFS after a full day is still better than a cart shave five minutes after I am done.

Although I love a BBS I have remind myself that a DFS is indeed a D F S!! :thumbup:

I think when you judge your shave becomes relevant as well.. For instance, a BBS is far smoother about an hour after I am done shaving than it is when the balm first goes on. I guess the hair and skin needs to settle down a little. I can't really judge a shave immediately following it..

Reactions: JSW
What are DFS, CCS, SAS? What's the standard for each?:blink:

BBS: Baby's butt smooth
DFS: Darn fine Shave
CCS: Close, comfortable shave
SAS: Socially acceptable shave

Pretty sure I got them right. Generally levels of closeness, but the particulars of each will obviously vary. I have a fairly thin beard, so "socially acceptable" for me is basically defined as "what BBS looks like the next morning"; i.e. I can usually get away without shaving and unless someone is looking closely, they won't notice or comment. Though now that my friends have taken to feeling my face after the switch to DE shaving, they often notice :)

Welcome to B&B - the abbreviation page previously linked will assuredly answer a lot of questions that may come up regarding the common abbreviations used on this board (and there are a lot!)

For me, SAS (socially acceptable shave) would be if I'm late for work and just trying to knock down some growth. Normally it would be a 1 pass WTG shave. You can't really see any hair but if you ran your hands across your face you can feel stubble in every direction.

Where it gets a little fuzzy is the difference between CCS and DFS. Normally I'll get a CCS if i had a particularly rough shave the day before and can only do a WTG and XTG shave the next day. I will be able to feel stubble when i run my hands ATG but pretty much no where else.

The levels of a shave are extremely subjective. One man's SAS could be another's DFS depending on growth, skin type, ect.

BBS: Baby's butt smooth
DFS: Darn fine Shave
CCS: Close, comfortable shave
SAS: Socially acceptable shave

Oh. :blink:

And here it was I thought they meant:

BBS: Baby butt smooth
CCS: Cruddy Crappy Shave
SAS: Sliced All Skin
DFS: Didn't Finish Shaving

I don't know if this ever happens to anyone else. About half an hour after a BBS shave, I will sometimes feel what, at first, seems to be stubble on my neck and cheeks. On closer inspection, it will actually be goose bumps. Once my face warms up a little, it will go away. I don't get this reaction on days without a BBS shave.

This has probably been posted---I can't seem to find it.

Can someone give me a rundown of the acronyms for shave quality---along with a brief statement of what constitutes each. What is your test for BBS?

I think I know BBS = barbershop
DFS= "damn fine shave?"

If someone could put them in order from worst (NBS- "no blade shave") to BBS, it would be appreciated.
Not to contradict azr, but I have understood that BBS stands for baby butt smooth. Mantic 59 agrees.

As if any more info was needed (or wanted :)), I found the following in the wiki:

Abbreviations
(for some reason the links posted above don't work for me)

BBS:
Baby butt smooth. A completely smooth shave result. Circular rubbing pattern with the fingertips can't detect any sort of stubble left, period. See also DFS, CCS and SAS.

DFS:
Damn Fine Shave. A near-BBS. WTG/XTG is completely smooth, ATG will feel a little bit of light stubble. (see BBS, CCS)

CCS:
Close, comfortable shave. Perhaps a notch less than a DFS. WTG is completely smooth, XTG and ATG both can detect very tiny levels of stubble. (see also BBS, DFS, and SAS)

SAS:
Socially Acceptable Shave. Super light stubble can be felt in all directions, even WTG; see also BBS, DFS, and CCS

Not to contradict azr, but I have understood that BBS stands for baby butt smooth. Mantic 59 agrees.

Necro2.jpg

Top Bottom