What's new

DE's and the TSA

I travel a lot for work, and often take my bag as a carry-on. What are anyone's experiences, thoughts, and/or suggestions about taking your DE razor and blades through security? I'm also a registered "trusted traveler", but I'm not sure that's relevant.

While I haven't traveled by plane with a DE razor and blades in my carry on, based on how things are these days I think your worst case scenario is that you would be able to bring the razor but not the blades. Especially if you travel with a 3 piece razor that is broken down (so they can easily see there is no blade) I doubt they'd take the razor. If you are really worried about it, bring a cheaper razor so you don't lose an heirloom or expensive razor (RazoRock makes some terrific razors in the $15-20 range, Maggards and West Coast Shaving store brands are just a tad more expensive). Many drug stores (especially chain stores), grocery stores, Targets and even Walmarts carry DE blades. Store brand made in Israel blades are basically Personna Reds (i.e. a good blade). So, you probably would be able to buy a 5 pack or 10 pack of blades at your destination. If you didn't want to chance that you'll be able to get blades at your destination, check with your hotel to see if they will take deliveries for you. If so, you can always mail yourself a tuck or two of blades (do next day mail if you want to be 100% sure of when they'll arrive) and insure you can have the blades you want. With either option for blades, if you don't want to waste the leftover, you can always mail them home to yourself at the end of your trip.

I only got through once with a blade in my razor. The TSA is good enough to see the blade mounted inside the razor. In both cases where they opened my bag they just confiscated the blade.

But to be safe, I travel with a lower end DE89 clone, and if I have a checked bag I put my blades in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only bit my pop tarts in the middle and never take anything I not willing to lose. I have an old travel Super Speed or a Trac II I roll the dice with.

I travel a lot for work, and often take my bag as a carry-on. What are anyone's experiences, thoughts, and/or suggestions about taking your DE razor and blades through security? I'm also a registered "trusted traveler", but I'm not sure that's relevant.
No problem bringing the razors through as carry on, as long as you don't load a blade. Put the blades in checked luggage, buy them at your destination, or do what I do, mail them ahead. I'm about to write a whole post on selecting travel razors, but I recommend something cheap, efficient, light and easily replaceable lit the PAA Bakelite slant, the PAA Prismatic, the Merkur Bakelite, or the Razorock German 37 Slant.

Sometimes they ask to see the razor and check for a blade. Sometimes they don't. No blades allowed. I don't travel much but I have never had a problem. Everyone who has asked to see mine knew what they were and knew how to check for a blade.

If you put it on top in the tray and open it to show there is no blade it helps things go smoother.

I take a razor that won't cause too much grief if it gets lost or damaged.

in my experience, due to inconsistencies in policy enforcement, I would not carry on anything shave related you are not prepared to lose.

personally I haven't had any issues with traveling with these recently. Don't know if they are just looking past them. They are still in the tuck, and not loaded on the razor. I will also bring a plastic tuck so that i can "dispose" of the blade and take it with me.

I've had my DE subjected to secondary inspection about a third the time I've carried it on. Blades get confiscated. Razor always looked at (generally with wonderment and envy) and returned. I generally take an empty razor and make my first stop a drug store to buy blades.

Last time I flew with a Super Adjustable in my carry on, of the four times I had to clear security with it, three times they gave me a secondary screening. First time was to take a brand new 15 pack dispenser of NOS Spoilers (that was my fault for forgetting them in my shave kit), and the second and third time they opened my shave kit to check the razor to see if a blade was loaded. The last time I threw it in the bin with my laptop as I was sick of getting my bag deconstructed and holding up the rest of my group. Based on that experience, I will no longer fly with a DE on short trips where I'm using sky check.

I just bought a bunch of old Trac II blades and a handle. That will be my new travel companion.

I travel a fair bit and would not take a DE in my carry-on. TOO RISKY when trying to get to the gate IMO.

TSA is totally unpredictable. I do not want to have any unneeded delays or searches.

Top Bottom