What's new

Declaration Brushworks

Given the fact that he released blue brushes, I wouldn't be surprised if he already had plans to release a red brush. He posted this almost half a year ago.

I have one of Scott's older handles from his "Nebula" line and recently pulled the knot out because it had a synthetic and I've really been into the badgers lately, now I think it's only proper to have him put one of his own knots in it.
IMG_4502.JPG

Has anyone compared these to similar style and sized shavemac 2band knots? The declaration knots like like fan knots?

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I have a Jefferson. Not sure of the batch. Its still a lather hog. I'm still working toward 12 - 14 uses for what they say is the break in period. Anyone else have that issue?

I have a Jefferson. Not sure of the batch. Its still a lather hog. I'm still working toward 12 - 14 uses for what they say is the break in period. Anyone else have that issue?

Had that issue with all my Declaration brushes but it gets better once broken in.

I have a Batch 1 Franklin and "Jefferson" and a Batch 2 Washington and I compared the Washington and Jefferson
I'll copy/paste a write up I did on Reddit here:
At first glance, you can immediately differentiate the two hairs:

• Batch 2 (Washington) as some hooking, though it's not a main "asset"
  • Batch 1 (Jefferson) has extreme hooking - to the point where there are individual hairs that catch onto each other
  • Dry, the Batch 1 hair is way less soft than Batch 2 - should be kinda obvious and doesn't really matter whatsoever lol
Next, I soaked the brushes for like 10 seconds and shook them 3-4 times to knock out some water (so that it's not dribbling down the edges)

• Batch 2 starts to clump up when wet and the tips feel very soft
  • Batch 1 continues to be clumped and there is some noticeable "gelling" going on with these tips, to the point where you can tell there's more water being held at those tips
Now for the part that actually matters - how they feel during the shave:

• Batch 2 is very soft, with some scrub, and some decent backbone
  • Batch 1 in comparison, is very soft, with maybe a touch more backbone, and slightly less scrub.
At the end of the day, I'm in the minority and prefer Batch 1 over Batch 2, but it's just by a hair touch and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Batch 2 brush if given the opportunity (and funds). Though Batch 2 is scrubbier, the amount is marginal to the point where I enjoy it (and I hate any scritch and too much scrub). It also maintains the softness of the Batch 1 hair, though it does lack those gel tips. I will add the caveat that Batch 2 took a few shaves to break in and soften up - at the moment I believe that it's still softening up, making the different even more slight.

At the end of the day, Scott ties quality knots and samples his hairs before buying them in bulk.

If you liked Batch 1 (or missed out on it), rest assured that Batch 2 is very comparable - there's good reason why 5/6 testers liked it more.

If you have a Batch 1 brush and are salty about the Batch 2 release - remember that badger brushes are a natural product and are subject to natural variation. They're comparable enough that you shouldn't feel like you're missing out, FWIW, Scott and I like Batch 1 better anyway (albeit marginally). Don't forget that Scott's not the only one who does this, since the other brushmakers aren't using cloned, genetically-identical badgers to harvest their hairs from - he's just one of the few that are transparent about when he switches to the new batch.

Batch 2 Washington and Batch 1 "Jefferson" - dry (front and above)
proxy.php
proxy.php

Batch 2 Washington Front - Wet
proxy.php

Batch 1 "Jefferson Front - Wet
proxy.php

Batch 2 Washington Above - Wet
proxy.php

Batch 1 "Jefferson" Top - Wet
proxy.php

I can’t get over how gorgeous the b1 jefferson is. Does anyone know when he switched from b1 to b2. I know for the SSB jefferson it was number 8 but not sure if all Washington SSBs and franklin ssbs are b2 and all unicorn ivory are b1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t get over how gorgeous the b1 jefferson is. Does anyone know when he switched from b1 to b2. I know for the SSB jefferson it was number 8 but not sure if all Washington SSBs and franklin ssbs are b2 and all unicorn ivory are b1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The official transition was probably at least with the second batch of SSB brushes, so sometime early February 2017.

Hmmm not sold out yet
lets see if this is pricing that finally jumped the shark
There's an old saying in the economics world that is usually applied to crude oil (and by extension petroleum fuels like gasoline and diesel): "The cure for high prices is high prices. The cure for low prices is low prices."

There's an old saying in the economics world that is usually applied to crude oil (and by extension petroleum fuels like gasoline and diesel): "The cure for high prices is high prices. The cure for low prices is low prices."
Color me cured. Totally absurd.

Top Bottom