What's new

Declaration Brushworks

Has anyone purchased a brush from Declaration Brushworks recently? I've been trying to get me a Washington all week. My hand is sore from all those refreshes!

[MENTION=58087]blzrfn[/MENTION] stated the following: It has firm backbone and very soft tips, an absolute pleasure to use. I have both the Washington and Jefferson and plan on buying the Franklin when available.

My Franklin#11 and a 27mm declaration reknot! best brush i've ever used and scott from l&l grooming makes GREAT soaps also! will be picking up a jefferson in january
proxy.php

Would love to pick one of these up, they sure are purty. Reviews on the performance all seem to be very positive as well.

These knots all appear to have the look of some hooked/gel tips when wet. These look similar to my old Rooney Heritage knots when wet. I cannot attest to the face feel though as I've never tried one.

The website says he's using a new batch of hair. Can anyone compare? The first batch seemed to be well liked.
I have a Batch 1 Franklin and "Jefferson" and a Batch 2 Washington and I compared the Washington and Jefferson
I'll copy/paste a write up I did on Reddit here:
At first glance, you can immediately differentiate the two hairs:

• Batch 2 (Washington) as some hooking, though it's not a main "asset"
  • Batch 1 (Jefferson) has extreme hooking - to the point where there are individual hairs that catch onto each other
  • Dry, the Batch 1 hair is way less soft than Batch 2 - should be kinda obvious and doesn't really matter whatsoever lol
Next, I soaked the brushes for like 10 seconds and shook them 3-4 times to knock out some water (so that it's not dribbling down the edges)

• Batch 2 starts to clump up when wet and the tips feel very soft
  • Batch 1 continues to be clumped and there is some noticeable "gelling" going on with these tips, to the point where you can tell there's more water being held at those tips
Now for the part that actually matters - how they feel during the shave:

• Batch 2 is very soft, with some scrub, and some decent backbone
  • Batch 1 in comparison, is very soft, with maybe a touch more backbone, and slightly less scrub.
At the end of the day, I'm in the minority and prefer Batch 1 over Batch 2, but it's just by a hair touch and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Batch 2 brush if given the opportunity (and funds). Though Batch 2 is scrubbier, the amount is marginal to the point where I enjoy it (and I hate any scritch and too much scrub). It also maintains the softness of the Batch 1 hair, though it does lack those gel tips. I will add the caveat that Batch 2 took a few shaves to break in and soften up - at the moment I believe that it's still softening up, making the different even more slight.

At the end of the day, Scott ties quality knots and samples his hairs before buying them in bulk.

If you liked Batch 1 (or missed out on it), rest assured that Batch 2 is very comparable - there's good reason why 5/6 testers liked it more.

If you have a Batch 1 brush and are salty about the Batch 2 release - remember that badger brushes are a natural product and are subject to natural variation. They're comparable enough that you shouldn't feel like you're missing out, FWIW, Scott and I like Batch 1 better anyway (albeit marginally). Don't forget that Scott's not the only one who does this, since the other brushmakers aren't using cloned, genetically-identical badgers to harvest their hairs from - he's just one of the few that are transparent about when he switches to the new batch.

Batch 2 Washington and Batch 1 "Jefferson" - dry (front and above)
proxy.php
proxy.php

Batch 2 Washington Front - Wet
proxy.php

Batch 1 "Jefferson Front - Wet
proxy.php

Batch 2 Washington Above - Wet
proxy.php

Batch 1 "Jefferson" Top - Wet
proxy.php

thanks hughmonstah a great write up. i have a jefferson and a washington and now understand the hair. love both brushes immensely. his soap is good too.

thanks hughmonstah a great write up. i have a jefferson and a washington and now understand the hair. love both brushes immensely. his soap is good too.
No problem! Scott's write-up on his site is pretty thorough and I just wanted to supplement it :) He has great products and I love all my brushes he's done - I don't reach for anything else!

Top Bottom