What's new

Decanting question: Where to source glass bottles with glass flow restrictors

I have several bottles of aftershave which are large in size (such as 12oz. bottles of Clubman and Lime Sec, 6oz. bottles of some of Musk and some of the other Clubman scents, and an 8oz. bottle of Aqua Velva) and are plastic. I would like to decant these into glass. I have been looking on The Bay and in my local antique stores, but I am having a hard time finding suitable bottles. (I have found a couple, such as some Avon bottles, but at around 3 oz. the sizes are a bit small. Also, vintage bottles are cool, but can be expensive when buying multiple.)

I am looking for bottles that are 6, 8, or 12oz. made of glass with flow restrictors. I would prefer the flow restrictor be glass and built in rather than a plastic insert. I did find one web site that sells 5 and 10oz. hot sauce bottles with plastic snap in flow restrictors, but I was hoping for something a little less generic. Bottles like the 400ml glass barbershop bottles that many of the Italian aftershaves, like Floid, come in would be ideal. Does anyone know of a place where I can find similar bottles, empty, for a reasonable cost? They don't have to have labels, or be vintage.

Thanks.

A fav of mine and other members are the Cholulu Hot Sauce Bottles with the wooden tops. I use the 5 oz bottles. I believe they also come in larger sizes.

I recently got a half pint glass bottle with a cap, but no flow restrictor, so when I use it to decant, I will be on the honor system when I pour it into my hand.

Hobby Lobby/Michaels/World Market/Pier One, hot sauce bottles, junk (antique) shops, flea markets, ... the sources are almost endless.

A fav of mine and other members are the Cholulu Hot Sauce Bottles with the wooden tops. I use the 5 oz bottles. I believe they also come in larger sizes.

^This!
Then, you also get to make your own labels.

I too decant to Cholula. BTW: I did a quick search and found 12 oz Cholula bottles.

Good luck!

I am always like to use glass bottles of aftershave. I have also used plastic bottles but I am disappointed with plastic. Then I found best Italian glass bottle with cool SriYantra on it. Now am happy with my glass bottle set with different colors. You should also try “elevatedglass” and get enjoyable aftershave. I think it’s really helpful you.

Attachments

• IMG_0316.PNG
    IMG_0316.PNG
    956.2 KB · Views: 28
4711 eau de Cologne bottles would fit the bill perfectly. They come in a range of sizes, and the glass flow restricter is part of the bottle. It's the BEST glass flow restricter I have ever used...much more control than the Floid bottles. You can get the cologne fairly cheap online, or find used bottles on eBay.

4711_x3_zps32d58ef6.jpg

I was on the same wild goose chase a couple years ago. I gave up.

The hot sauce bottles on the bay with plastic inserts work great. I didn't feel like cleaning out a bunch of hot sauce bottles with glass restrictors. The ease of filling them is wonderful. I'm glad I bought a dozen.

The best part is that they stand straight up in a drawer so I can fit many more in my limited space. The hot sauce bottles do too, but not all the bottles you can buy by the dozen are short enough.

The vintage 4711 bottles are an interesting idea, and I do like the restrictor in the bottle that I have. However, I think I am just going to follow the herd on this one. I plan on getting some 10oz and 5oz hot sauce bottles from Amazon. They seem to be the most cost effective solution.

I can understand the cost effectiveness of the hot sauce bottles. But to me, nothing beats a vintage bottle for style. I don't have a very large AS collection, so the cost to me isn't that high. Here are the few that I have...
(L to R...Lucky Tiger Face Tonic, Tabac in Pinaud Hair Tonic Bottle, Clubman in Vegetal Bottle, Family Dollar Spice in Small Pinaud bottle)
IMG_0561.JPG

I got the dozen 5 ounce hot sauce with plastic restrictors from the bay. I decant larger bottles into 2 and can have a bottle of each after shave in each shave den.......yes I have 1 in the master and 1 in the spare bathroom in case the wife is sleeping in. It's actually a good excuse for more items and spreading them out reduces the appearance of having too many :whistling:

Top Bottom