What's new

DE Razor for Military

So I'm about to be a Cadet and then serve in the Army. Love the idea of a safety razor. Problem is I don't know which to get. I need one where I'd be able to do quick shaves and extremely close. Also would need to be a durable razor that wouldn't break. And the last thing is it can't be that expensive because I don't have a whole lot of money. Thank you for your time and recommendations!

I would suggest a Gillette Tech razor pre or post war. They are plentiful and very forgiving razors. Usually they can be found for 5-10 dollars in antique shops.

I would suggest a Gillette Tech razor pre or post war. They are plentiful and very forgiving razors. Usually they can be found for 5-10 dollars in antique shops.
Are there any "new" models of this style that I'd be able to purchase on like amazon for example?

I agree with the Tech. They come in wide variety of shapes and sizes, dirt cheap and can be found nearly any where. My second choice is a Flare; very forgiving, easy to find and cheap. Both razors are my favorites.

I would strongly recommend a 40's superspeed, or a later flare end SuperSpeed. You don't want to have to play around with three pieces if you don't have to, and it's very hard to get a bad shave, especially if you shave every day. Don't worry about the age of the razors, they tend to be close to indestructible. The worst damage I've seen to one in normal condition is the guards bent from being dropped a few times. You could still shave with them, because the doors tend to be fine (which are the key to the blade angle)

Razorock has affordable razors if you want new. When Italian Barber had a set (TTO razor, synthetic brush, soap) on sale for $20, I bought several sets for people at work...however they remain bearded...

When I deployed, I took a Schick Krona. Good for quick shaves. I guess shave quality can be bought for ~ $20.

Captp was nice to send me a kit including a Gillette Slim which I still use when I was in Afghanistan.

I recently bought a Schick injector razor which also allows for quick shaves. Still using the first blade. I'm very surprised with how much I do like injectors. Probably under appreciated. Can be gotten for ~ $20.

I would suggest the Shone open comb razor on Amazon. It gives a smooth and close shave and it's made of brass and nickel plated. it is a three piece razor and costs $22.95.
492780-a282838b56fbe344722effc46291eb89.jpg

Great advice so far. I'm partial to the NEW.

I do want to wish you well and thank you for choosing to serve your country!:clap:

Thank you all very much for your time, replies, and suggestions. I ended up purchasing the Merkur Long Handled 23C and a 120 blade variety pack. Excited to start wet shaving. Now off to start looking for shades! Thanks again, greatly appreciate everyone's input!

Top Bottom