What's new

Darn it, missed a Darwin again on Ebay......

For those interested this is the original british patent for the razor. You can find out more by looking at the tabs at the left side including the original document.

http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publ...T=D&ND=3&date=19251210&DB=EPODOC&locale=en_EP
great link.

Wow that price is for a Standard..... I am curious to see what my Deluxe would bring in :001_tongu
I can only imagine. I think I may not have to think too much next time, i may go up to 1,000...........im contemplating it.

I have heard they shave the same and are the same razor except the posts are on the top cap on the standard and on the base on the deluxe. Pretty much the same razor with a minor variation so they should go for the same at auction. The deluxe name sounds better though so maybe yours would go for even more...but you can't sell it now can you.

Aaron
Nice name i agree, i also like Toggle and Eclipse as razor names.

Bit more info .........

Hello, thank you for your enquiry. the firm of Darwins Ltd was Founded by Paul Kuehnrich (1871-1932) as a public company in 1926. The main firm was Darwin & Milner, a tool steelmaker, located at Rockingham St, 1900-25. Then in 1924 it moved into the Fitzwilliam Works, Tinsley, the old Sheffield Simplex car works. It was involved in merchanting initially, but later began exploiting Kuehnrich's inventions in alloy steels, magnets, razor steels. The firm had its ups and down, becoming involved in litigation with Gillette and once having to recall 800,000 rusty razor blades.

There are a number of websites and publications relating to early razors. Details of the firm of Darwins will be in local newspapers, obituaries and trade journals.

I hope this is of use.
Best wishes
Joan Unwin

--
Dr Joan Unwin,
Honorary Research Fellow, University of Sheffield
Archivist, the Cutlers' Company

The Company of Cutlers in Hallamshire,
The Cutlers' Hall,
Church Street,
Sheffield,
S1 1HG
Very good, we need all the info we can get.

And the last part, sorry Alex............:oops:
apologies not accepted:mad3::tongue_sm

For those interested this is the original british patent for the razor. You can find out more by looking at the tabs at the left side including the original document.

Wow, if you gentlemen want some history behind the man who made our beloved Darwins..here it is. Fascinating..and tragic that he committed suicide at 61. All of a sudden, a lot more info is coming out. He was very well known for his razor blades.

Thanks to you both. Nice to see that you both have the foresight to trot alternative paths in the search of more information about the company. Very clever..
Would be neat to know the release dates of their other models as well. Hmm.. Maybe to elusive. By the way I have not yet received a reply back from the current manager director. I hope that he will. I got the impression by his first reply to me that he was indeed slightly interested in the history of the company - or more rightly put- the division that manufactured the razors.

I think the consensus is very late 20's and into the 40's or so. My personal belief is most of them were made in the 30's. I think mine was made in the mid 30's. Someone more knowledgable than I will come along shortly I'm sure (paging Connie...oh Connie, ur knowledge is needed here).

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I think the consensus is very late 20's and into the 40's or so. My personal belief is most of them were made in the 30's. I think mine was made in the mid 30's. Someone more knowledgable than I will come along shortly I'm sure (paging Connie...oh Connie, ur knowledge is needed here).

I wish I possessed this knowledge you speak of. :sad:

I know the Darwin Standard (British Patent No. 2438810) and Darwin Deluxe (Reg. No. RD710725) were both patented in 1925. When Darwin Ltd. started production of these razors, how long they were produced, or how many were made, I have never found answers for.

I have way more questions then answers. :confused1

From various threads: 1928-1953. I am not sure where people has got those dates from. They might be correct though. Hey- would it not be neat to compile all the small fragments of facts that we know and make a wiki?

Last edited:
Alex,
I looked at this like many others and you may have been lucky you did not"win" it. To me, the comb on the lower left looks bent in the photo that was used on eBay. Could be the angle but I don't think so. One will come along and be right for you. Another one for sale now on eBay.

View attachment 248538

Alex,
I looked at this like many others and you may have been lucky you did not"win" it. To me, the comb on the lower left looks bent in the photo that was used on eBay. Could be the angle but I don't think so. One will come along and be right for you. Another one for sale now on eBay.

View attachment 248538

As any photographer will tell you camera angles can make a huge difference.
Shot 1 is taken at an angle and makes the head look bent, shot 2 is taken from above and shows that the head has rounded corners and no damage ( just had a shave with it so not polished for show........:001_tongu)
Both shots taken with my point and press Canon S90 as I am just going out and could not be bothered to set up my DSLR to take the pics.
And yes it is the "bent razor you are describing". I can assure you it has no faults, just proves the camera CAN lie.......:laugh:

I think Alex will be very happy that you told everyone in an open forum about the other one for sale..........took 2 mins to find. Should be interesting to see what this one goes for now............:001_rolle

Last edited:

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
As any photographer will tell you camera angles can make a huge difference.
Shot 1 is taken at an angle and makes the head look bent, shot 2 is taken from above and shows that the head has rounded corners and no damage ( just had a shave with it so not polished for show........:001_tongu)
Both shots taken with my point and press Canon S90 as I am just going out and could not be bothered to set up my DSLR to take the pics.
And yes it is the "bent razor you are describing". I can assure you it has no faults, just proves the camera CAN lie.......:laugh:

I think Alex will be very happy that you told everyone in an open forum about the other one for sale..........took 2 mins to find. Should be interesting to see what this one goes for now............:001_rolle

Congratulations on your recently acquired Darwin! How do you like the shave???? :biggrin:

Congratulations on your recently acquired Darwin! How do you like the shave???? :biggrin:

Having been shaving with it daily for around a week now I can tell you it shaves exceptionally well. It took a couple of days to get my technique right, but it give a very good shave I am getting BBS shaves with 2 passes and a slight touch up. The razor gives loads of feedback but good prep and letting the razor do all the work is the key to getting the best out of it. I have been using Permasharps in it and they seem to suit it. For the 1st couple of days I got a bit of razor burn on my neck and the odd nick, but now all I have to say is I wish I had got one before. The handle shape works for me and the balance of the razor is just fine and it is nice to have what seems to be an uncommon English razor.
But remember YMMV of course.
I would be interested to know how many have made it to B&B members though.

I know of about 7 of us Darwin owners (I am excluding Connies entire Darwin family in this count!) at B&B including you. Most people absolutely love their Darwin's and I'm glad you are enjoying yours. I absolutely love mine.

Top Bottom