What's new

Daily fountain pen

TWISBI is like 40+. If you want a professional writer for under 200, why not consider the LAMY 2000?

I guess my daily fountain pen (I have a few) has to be the Lamy 2000. It is a very solid pen that holds a huge amount of ink. Highly recommended! I really enjoy using it, and it's one of the few pens that I would 'dare' to carry in one of my pockets.

The Lamy Nexx is a good pen but for about the same amount of money I would opt for the Lamy Safari, which I think is better looking then the Nexx.

love my Lamy 2000... if I remember right it was about that price. I really like the look because it doesn't attract attention. It is a matte black.

The Lamy 2000 is one of the most unsung pens out there IMHO - for around $150, you get a very understated, classy pen with what I think of as classic Bahaus design features. This pen has been around since 1966 and, in terms of appearance is a classic. I don't like flashy pens, but this one has enough style not to be boring and is classy in its own understated way.

In terms of writing, you get an excellent gold semi-hooded nib that starts up easily, resists drying out and writes extremely well. It is a piston fill and holds a ton of ink so makes a great workhorse. In terms of functionality, the only pen that I own that I think is better than my Lamy 2000 is my Pelikan 800 - and that's largely because I think the piston system is a little smoother and the nib is narrower (which is a statement about my preferences for nib widths as much as anthing). Basically, what I'm saying is that I don't think there's a better value out there at the Lamy 2000 price point.

I also really like the Vanishing Point, but the main issue is ink capacity (as has been mentioned) - that being said, its a very convenient pen and mine gets a lot of use. If you do get one, get one from Richard Binder that's been tuned - the nib on mine took a fair bit of use before it smoothed out.

The Lamy 2000 is one of the most unsung pens out there IMHO - for around $150, you get a very understated, classy pen with what I think of as classic Bahaus design features. This pen has been around since 1966 and, in terms of appearance is a classic. I don't like flashy pens, but this one has enough style not to be boring and is classy in its own understated way.

In terms of writing, you get an excellent gold semi-hooded nib that starts up easily, resists drying out and writes extremely well. It is a piston fill and holds a ton of ink so makes a great workhorse. In terms of functionality, the only pen that I own that I think is better than my Lamy 2000 is my Pelikan 800 - and that's largely because I think the piston system is a little smoother and the nib is narrower (which is a statement about my preferences for nib widths as much as anthing). Basically, what I'm saying is that I don't think there's a better value out there at the Lamy 2000 price point.

I also really like the Vanishing Point, but the main issue is ink capacity (as has been mentioned) - that being said, its a very convenient pen and mine gets a lot of use. If you do get one, get one from Richard Binder that's been tuned - the nib on mine took a fair bit of use before it smoothed out.

Isellpens.com (no affiliation) has Lamy 2Ks for around 110 right now.

At this price, the pen is a steal - folks looking for a first good pen or who have been waiting to buy one of these, now's the time!!!!

He had them under 100 at one point, but the dollar is so weak right now that that just isn't feasible. Still at 115 bucks or so shipped, it is a steal. I just got mine 3 weeks ago, and already, it is in my top 3 of pens I own.

They also have a sale on for the vanishing point - buy one and get two bottles of ink free.

And just a plug (again, only a happy customer), isellpens is a great seller to deal with. My orders have always shipped within 24 hours, and Todd is really responsive to questions.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
A few weeks ago I ran across a very very inexpensive Sheaffer "school pen" from I believe the 60's or 70's and grabbed it.
It has become my favorite daily user at work.
It never fails to write, even if left setting for a bit while open.
Fine nib, lightweight, smooth as butter, just an all around great pen in my opinion.
I'm on the look-out for more of these now.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Those school pens are indestructable.... did you get some cartridges and are you then refilling them ????

I'm using some cartridges that were given to me by a very nice fellow I know who just happens to be a Pen Buff! :w00t:

Awww Gosh.... Make sure you get a syringe with a blunt tip... you can then refill those Carts a number of times with your favorite ink !!!!!!!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm set!
Although I have been considering getting one of the hardware kits people use for refilling Printer Ink cartridges. They have a large bore blunt needle which will make up for my lack of coordination!

$Syringe-60ML-10-5CM-Blunt-Needle-6sets-for-ink-cartridge-refill-ink.jpg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
:w00t: What kind of cartridge are you planning on filling with that behemoth?

Believe me when I tell you if I have two options;

1. Waste a little ink
or
2. Rely on my eye hand coordination while handling bullet-proof ink

I'm going with option 1 every single time.

I hadn't planned on filling the thing up, just using the needle on a smaller syringe I have, but the same theory applies.

Believe me when I tell you if I have two options;

1. Waste a little ink
or
2. Rely on my eye hand coordination while handling bullet-proof ink

I'm going with option 1 every single time.

I hadn't planned on filling the thing up, just using the needle on a smaller syringe I have, but the same theory applies.

Whew I was worried you were filling some apocalypse size converter.

The only downside of using carts with a dry pen is getting it t0 start. Some of the carts are so thick a squeeze on the cart is impossible. Adip in water or ink should jump start that cart !!

also cleaning of a cart pen can be a bit hard. Suggestion is cut the back off of a cart and get a infant nasal bulb at the drug store. You can cut the end off of it so it fits over the cart and then you can flush to your hearts content !!!!!!

Top Bottom