What's new

Cuts for hamburger?

strop

Now half as wise
I have no idea what the final fat content would have been, but when I was a kid, my dad did a lot of grilled burgers. He would have a 1/4of beef all ground into burger meet by the processing plant. Pretty tasty as I recall.

I grind my own, too.

I use about 1-2 lbs sirloin, 3 lbs chuck and 3 lbs round. Grind it all up with some salt and pepper using the coarse grinding plate on my Kitchen Aid. Then I take about 1/2 of that and run it through the fine plate. Gives a nice texture for burgers and tastes far better than "ground beef" from the supermarket.
It comes out at about $4.50/lb which is about the same price as the "ground sirloin" from my local butcher shop.

The other week I ran out, so for the first time in over a year, I went and just picked up a bag of the ground sirloin from that same local butcher (the only place I will buy pre-ground beef) and although it was good, there was a big difference -- the flavor was less "beefy", the texture was mushier and the color was a duller red. I like my home-grind much better.

You might want to look at Heston Blumenthal's perfect burger. 50% chuck, 25% short rib, 25% brisket with the short rib and brisket being ground twice. Over the top obsessed for certain but I think there is a bit of learning there, some of which can be easily applied.

Yes, obsessed and yes, quite a bit of learning. Good stuff! Thanks.

Tom

Thanks all! Lots of very helpful info. I finally had a chance to give it a grind. Based on what I gathered from you all; ground today (from what was fresh and easily available) 3.5# chuck, 1.5# beef shin, 2# beef short ribs (all after boning). Ground the shin and ribs 2x, 10mm then 4.5mm, ground the chuck with 10mm. A bit of salt on the chuck 45min prior to grinding. Mixed and formed patties (keeping them a bit loose/not firm). Did not take the time to orientate, form, and slice the grind as Blumenthal did. Pan fried with a bit of olive oil, Blumenthal's recommended flip every 30-seconds or so. Served simply with American cheese on a toasted bun, buttered on the bottom and top dipped in the pan juices and a bit of ketchup and black pepper. Tried to keep it simple to test the foundation. I think we are onto something here! Way better than grocery in flavor and texture. Juicy and tasty even at medium+ (as per request..). Rare and medium rare even better.

IMG_0297.JPG

IMG_0301.JPG

IMG_0298.JPG

IMG_0299.JPG

IMG_0302.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG

More cuts and blends to try ...

Tom

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I met Tom. I recall he and Jim were on a sausage making crusade several years ago. His grinder looks killer.

Coarse grind brisket don't trim fat. Put it through a the grinder a couple of times. Added benefit, BIG beef flavor.

If you want a heart attack, grind your beef with pastrami. 85/15, or 90/10. :001_cool:

My favorite, however, is the lamb burger.

Last edited:
Coarse grind brisket don't trim fat. Put it through a the grinder a couple of times. Added benefit, BIG beef flavor.

If you want a heart attack, grind your beef with pastrami. 85/15, or 90/10. :001_cool:
My favorite, however, is the lamb burger.

Sounds good. Do you regrind the brisket through the same size plate or go to a smaller size on the next grind?

Thanks,

Tom

I'm looking make some burgers that are tastier than the grocery store by grinding my own. What beef/veal cuts should I look for? Any recommendations for cuts/percentages/mixture?

Thanks,

Tom
Been mincing my own beef for burgers for a few years.

You want a really fatty cut of meat but be warned if you're using a hand mincer expect to clean it out around every 4 - 6 burgers worth.

A few people have recommended using prime cuts of beef, I would personally not use too much steak unless you're looking for expensive burgers and if price is no option rib eye would be my choice, ideally chuck is good.

a few tips...
Don't, kneed the mince too much, this will make the meat tough.
Don't put any egg or breadcrumbs crumbs in the mince.
Don't put any sauces in the mince.

Do, add plenty salt & a dash black pepper.
Do, push the burgers as flat a possible (the will swell when cooking).
Do let the mince reach room temperature before cooking.
Do let the burger rest for half of the time it was cooking for.

Optional, you can add a touch of garlic, chives and flat leaf parsley.

IMG_0374.JPG

IMG_0384.JPG

Latest grind: this time kept it from the front and low of the cow; 50% Top Chuck, 30% Hanger Steak, 20% Short Rib. Ground the Chuck twice with 1/4" plate and the Hanger and Ribs 1x with 1/4" and then with 1/8" plates and gently mixed. Great flavor and texture.

Tom

Great thread. We have a local butcher shop who will custom make the meat mixture. His house mixture consists of chuck and brisket.

Top Bottom