What's new

Cuts for hamburger?

I'm looking make some burgers that are tastier than the grocery store by grinding my own. What beef/veal cuts should I look for? Any recommendations for cuts/percentages/mixture?

Thanks,

Tom

Thanks,

Does a typical sirloin cut have enough fat or do you add 10% beef fat to the grind?

Tom

The store determines the % and seems to pretty accurate. I also add nothing - crumbs, seasoning, etc to the mix, just plain meat. A little salt & pepper on the grill and I'm happy. The wife smothers hers in season salt.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
You might want to look at Heston Blumenthal's perfect burger. 50% chuck, 25% short rib, 25% brisket with the short rib and brisket being ground twice. Over the top obsessed for certain but I think there is a bit of learning there, some of which can be easily applied.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I just use 73/27 or 80/20 ground beef. The cheap stuff and add in Lipton beefy onion soup mix and lee and Perrin. Pretty tasty!

Attachments

• $IMG_3925.jpg
    $IMG_3925.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 43

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I'm interested in suggestions also as I have Mom's hand crank meat grinder that I haven't used yet...in many years.

I just use 73/27 or 80/20 ground beef. The cheap stuff and add in Lipton beefy onion soup mix and lee and Perrin. Pretty tasty!

Marty...do you cut that thing into quarters for individual servings?

50/50 chuck and sirloin. Makes a great burger and both should be available practically anywhere. I've had other awesome combos but sometimes all the cuts are not available at a regular grocery store.

100% Sirloin is way too lean, IMO. My go-to is Chuck, but I really like to mix another cut for different flavor/texture. Sirloin is a great add, but maybe branch out and try Lamb or Pork.

50/50 chuck and sirloin. Makes a great burger and both should be available practically anywhere. I've had other awesome combos but sometimes all the cuts are not available at a regular grocery store.

Yep. Best is to grind your own. Avoids any mystery-mix discrepancies. Salt and flip once is my favorite way to grill or fry these....

The difference between cuts of beef in a hamburger is mostly a difference in the fat content. For burgers, I like 85%/15%. What lean muscle gets me there doesn't make much difference.

But bacon is tasty. So beef that is super lean with enough pork fat to give me 15% total fat is ideal. But that requires home-grinding or a really friendly butcher. Plus I understand that pork is a no-go with many.

Bottom line: I look for fat content (the transmitter of all that is good) rather than specific cuts.

Top Bottom