What's new

Crafting custom scales

The craftsmanship in these custom micarta scales in this tutorial are amazing. Superior attention to detail and quality materials. Even down to the soap stone harvested in the Netherlands for the wedge.

I stumbled upon this while researching custom scales. It is inspiration for my project. I wish I could find quality videos like this where they use Gabon ebony. Ebony is a much harded material to work with and probably not the greatest to do your first project with. So I probably will test practice runs first. I still need to find a blade. I want to use a Japanese one but will have to settle on any quality steal I find that's worth salvaging the blade and replacing the scales.

This is what I am aiming for.

Attachments

• 20170208_223425.jpg
    20170208_223425.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 21
  • THIYF7598_Fendrihan_straight_razor_78_ebony2.jpeg
    THIYF7598_Fendrihan_straight_razor_78_ebony2.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 22
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I've made a few out of ebony. Not too bad really. Micarta you just cut out ,sand and they're done. Wood takes a little more effort. These are hand carved in Ebony with faux Ivory inserts.
I customized the blade as well doing the spine work and covered tang.

Last edited:
Well someone asking about ebony scales seemed like a fitting time wouldn't you think ? I would have posted the others I've built ( which look identical to black horn ) but they were on my laptop where I just deleted nearly 5000 razor pics. So they're gone.
This razor is next to my workshop so snap a pic or two and off it goes.

I have a big chunk of Gabon ebony I could get a lot of scales out of. Was intended for knife hanldes but I want to try straight razor scales instead. Resourcing my other materials.

That pic you posted looks confusing. It looks like plastic colored like wood is pealing off of ivory.

No you got it right. The razor is called Ebony on Ivory. It's a variation of a classic scale that looks like part is peeling off or laying back.
Here the ebony is revealing the Ivory underneath. An to balance it there is Ivory at either end as well with the wedge and tail.
Gabon ebony works very well as does the Ceylon and this is Macassar ebony .

Top Bottom