What's new

Cops and tattoos.

As I said, I'm not sure about showing them, but some of my mates have their blood type tattooed. I got the impression it was encouraged.

All the old navy guys I've known have had tattoos on their arms.

I know the old sailers used to have em but because tatts are more prevalent today with such a wide variety I thought maybe the laws changed too?

call me an old fart, but lots of tats on anyone, especially a cop would give me pause. Here in Texas there are cops that are involved with outside organizations that they don't want to talk bout and tats are part of that life. I don't want a doctor or lawyer with tats, gives me cause to question judgement. It's a generational thing, and I've seen so many tramp stamps that I'm just tired of it. Still the world does not spin to suit me.

Last edited:
call me an old fart, but lots of tats on anyone, especially a cop would give me pause. Here in Texas there are cops that are involved with outside organizations that they don't want to talk bout and tats are part of that life. I don't want a doctor or lawyer with tats, gives me cause to question judgement. It's a generational thing, and I've seen so many tramp stamps that I'm just tired of it. Still the world does not spin to suit me.

Agreed to some extent. When I was in the military, officers were discouraged from getting tattoos. It was not popular then anyway, with the exception of some enlisted men, bikers, prostitutes, and gang members. With the exception of service members, having a tattoo thirty years ago was a sign of belonging to the underclass.

Now it's a different world, but back then that's the way it was. I've adjusted to the new norm--mostly.

Last edited:
Tats don't bother me, I have 2, my wife currently has 1 small one, and a much larger one planned once her breast reconstruction is complete. However, as noble as it is to say that we should not judge a book by its' cover, I think sometimes the cover is all you can see from a distance. It's impossible to tell if the huge guy at the other end of the room has a great personality and a warm heart. It's quite easy to tell if he's got a shaved head, long beard, black leather pants and a face full of tattoos.. That doesn't mean I would dislike him by any means, but it DOES mean that he is clearly and intentionally putting an appearance out there that is counter-culture, and that some level of discretion must be used before flinging a spitball across the place at him. That description, save the face tat could describe me or a good bit of my family at any given time.. and some of them ARE cops, firefighters and doctors. If I didn't know them and met them in a dark alley, I'd still be on my guard. (not a lot of dark alleys in Denton TX either though...) SO the point about professional appearance still holds water. It's not universally accurate by any means, but the perception is still out there.

I smell what ya cookin, not ya fart but what ya cookin.

But see you are making the statement of a guy in leathers shaved head beard and tattoos I'd be the first person to say you would be a fool not to 2nd guess his nature. We are talking tattoos I am wearing a polo and cargo shorts today I had a very nice shave this morning and I'll be hitting 9 holes as soon as I get out of this dungeon I call work lol. The issues we are talking about Are should I be looked at as a thug or biker because of my tattoos or not be given the same professional curtisy as the other members of my party. I agree 100% that the gang banger looking kid or biker looking guy are giving off the counter culture I'm here to make a point look of as stated before iM a bad ***. But in the terms of a cop wearing a uniform doing his job as a professional, medical professions people not standing out in such a way as to be a threat, should they be treated different from anybody else.

Tatts have become so commonplace and trendy that seeing someone in uniform with them doesn't bother me.

As Tommyguns so aptly described, "...giving off the counter culture..." loo, that's who would draw my attention and raise my discomfort level.

It depends on how you were raised. In my part of the South Tats were on men, usually just one on their arm and they were ex or current Military. They were usually covered and no one cared today though I see folks looking like they are an walking ad for a tat shop. I respect your right to ink yourself but I don't want to be visually overwhemed when I come into a place of business.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I gave up judging people by appearances- whether it be tattoos, skin color, ethnicity, etc, a long ago. My life has been much happier now. I will assume a person is ok at first- if they want to prove themselves an *** then that is on them.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
My only visible one is my wedding ring. I got tired of removing it when I worked on electrics or washed my hands. So, one Christmas I got a tattoo on the finger. Problem solved.

Most departments are okay with tattoos as long as they are covered. Some don't care if its visible. It all boils down to departmental policy, and fluctuates from agency to agency. I got mine in places where a short sleeve shirt can cover them. They don't make a person 'bad'. If that was the case then we might as well live in pre-1960's-70's where we judged people by the color of their skin.

(tacky tattoos are another thing... lol. Racists or otherwise inappropriate/vulgar tattoos, especially visible, are downright stupid for anyone to put on their body who expects to get a decent job... But hey, that's another job opportunity for me :biggrin1:)

My only visible one is my wedding ring. I got tired of removing it when I worked on electrics or washed my hands. So, one Christmas I got a tattoo on the finger. Problem solved.

Just don't get a divorce, might have to do a yukuza?

Police are here for public safety. But also, they work and interact with the public. They should be seen as men (and women) who envelop the idea of 'safety'. If tattoos are something that several people feel don't exactly portray 'safety', then I can understand if departments mandate that tattoos be hidden behind clothing.

I have a tattoo, but I specifically put it in a spot that can readily be hidden by a shirt so as not to be perceived as something I'm not.

... and then there are tattoos ...

proxy.php

^ Wins the thread.

Completely agree. That is one beautiful piece of artwork (and I'm not just talking about the tattoos).

Who cares?
What if you got pulled over every time you publicly displayed your facial-hair? It's a preference.

People do get pulled over for physical attributes; it's called profiling. And it happens regularly.

And if there was no such thing as a 'corrupt cop', then it probably wouldn't matter if they had visible tattoos or not because they only stereotype police would have is that they help the community. The problem lies with the fact that there has been incidences (no matter how many or how few) where police officers went against the moral code. This has been highlighted by the media, and the public sees it. Now the public has to guess which officers are trustworthy and which aren't. Since you're not going to interrogate them individually, the general public will probably resort to 'profiling'.

And it comes back down to how the public perceives the individual who is supposed to be a keeper of the peace.

But see you are making the statement of a guy in leathers shaved head beard and tattoos I'd be the first person to say you would be a fool not to 2nd guess his nature. We are talking tattoos I am wearing a polo and cargo shorts today I had a very nice shave this morning and I'll be hitting 9 holes as soon as I get out of this dungeon I call work lol. The issues we are talking about Are should I be looked at as a thug or biker because of my tattoos or not be given the same professional curtisy as the other members of my party. I agree 100% that the gang banger looking kid or biker looking guy are giving off the counter culture I'm here to make a point look of as stated before iM a bad ***. But in the terms of a cop wearing a uniform doing his job as a professional, medical professions people not standing out in such a way as to be a threat, should they be treated different from anybody else.

I used that only to make the point of extremes. Some people will view ANY visible ink as an extreme, some will not. These days it's so commonplace most people don't care. I don't notice at all unless the ink is something that I think is super cool, or is poorly done (or a prison tat). My point is, if it's visible, SOME people will always judge whether they know the story or not. :) Should you be judged that way? no. Will you be? yes, by some people. This is simply the reality of wearing anything that someone else can see. I have a cousin who is a member of a church that does not allow women to cut their hair, or to wear jewelry, etc. *shrug Their judgement does not particularly bother me.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've two tatoos ,, they were placed to spot the radiation gun for cancer ,, obviously they are still there, but by & golly I'll never have another tatoo

All I know is that I was taught to respect those who put their life on the line for mine. So I do so...regardless of their appearance.

People do get pulled over for physical attributes; it's called profiling. And it happens regularly.

And if there was no such thing as a 'corrupt cop', then it probably wouldn't matter if they had visible tattoos or not because they only stereotype police would have is that they help the community. The problem lies with the fact that there has been incidences (no matter how many or how few) where police officers went against the moral code. This has been highlighted by the media, and the public sees it. Now the public has to guess which officers are trustworthy and which aren't. Since you're not going to interrogate them individually, the general public will probably resort to 'profiling'.

And it comes back down to how the public perceives the individual who is supposed to be a keeper of the peace.

All excellent points. I have 2 tattoos as well that are out of sight. I guess because I have, and my father was a firefighter- to which he has several- it was never anything that really was cause for alarm. (No pun intended.)

Top Bottom