What's new

Converters - Converters everywhere!

Howdy folks! I have been on an FP kick for a few months now. It all started with last year's contributors drive. I 'won' an Edison Herald with a 1.5mm Stub. It's a fantastic pen, but not an everyday carry. So I picked up a metro and a couple eyedropper converted preppy's. All good. However, I have since picked up a couple pens at Daiso Japan. They're cheap (one is a Jinhao knockoff I believe) but write pretty well. When I picked up the first one, I hopped online and bought a Schmidt international converter (I also, swapped out for a flex nib for fun). The converter is great, but $6-7. Not a lot, but there are a couple $1.50 FP's at daiso that take international cartridges that I'm wanting to convert.

The question is: Should I stick with the Schmidt, or has anyone had success with the Jinhao converters (they're incredibly cheap) or Picasso converters (5 for $9)? I'm really just looking to have a few pens for everyday work carry that have a variety of colors inked. Thanks!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Since they're inexpensive, you could always pick up a couple of each to see for yourself. I can't remember ever having any problems with my Jinhao converters, but then again, I've only used two of them, and I didn't use either very often.

Yeah, I haven't used any of my Jinhao converters as extensively as some of my Schmidts, but they haven't given me any trouble. I actually replaced a Schmidt that was leaking behind the piston with a Jinhao last week & it seemed to work better than before the swap was made necessary. Can only speak for the black knob twist converters, but they're worth asking price at least.

Since they're inexpensive, you could always pick up a couple of each to see for yourself. I can't remember ever having any problems with my Jinhao converters, but then again, I've only used two of them, and I didn't use either very often.

Yeah, I haven't used any of my Jinhao converters as extensively as some of my Schmidts, but they haven't given me any trouble. I actually replaced a Schmidt that was leaking behind the piston with a Jinhao last week & it seemed to work better than before the swap was made necessary. Can only speak for the black knob twist converters, but they're worth asking price at least.

Thanks guys! I picked up both cheap converters, and a couple Jinhao 500a's because - cheap! I think I have the most bipolar FP collection starting...

Well if you want to get away from converters there are all kinds of options. Many at a reasonable cost. Esterbrook J series pens can be had for as little as $10, but on that lower end of the price scale it will at the very least need to have the sac replaced. It is easy to do and will require a one time investment in some materials (#16 sacs, talc and sac shellac which are available from Andersen Pens. I paid $20 shipped for three sacs, talc, shellac shipped. The talc and shellac will last for a very long time) For one that has had this done you can expect to pay $30 or so. Sacs are $2-3 each.

I have a copper J on its way and recently got a blue transitional J. (there are six basic colors in each size: black, gray, green, blue, red and copper). And the different nibs.....

In new pens the TWSBI Eco is under $30 and its a piston filler. You can sometimes find a Parker 51 or 51 Special with aerometric filler for under $50.

Just some other options if you want to try some other types of filler systems than converters.

Well if you want to get away from converters there are all kinds of options. Many at a reasonable cost. Esterbrook J series pens can be had for as little as $10, but on that lower end of the price scale it will at the very least need to have the sac replaced. It is easy to do and will require a one time investment in some materials (#16 sacs, talc and sac shellac which are available from Andersen Pens. I paid $20 shipped for three sacs, talc, shellac shipped. The talc and shellac will last for a very long time) For one that has had this done you can expect to pay $30 or so. Sacs are $2-3 each.

I have a copper J on its way and recently got a blue transitional J. (there are six basic colors in each size: black, gray, green, blue, red and copper). And the different nibs.....

In new pens the TWSBI Eco is under $30 and its a piston filler. You can sometimes find a Parker 51 or 51 Special with aerometric filler for under $50.

Just some other options if you want to try some other types of filler systems than converters.

I know this was from mid-Feb, but I was re-reading my old post (don't ask...). As for the converters - I have some cheap pens that I've been playing with nib swapping. That's why I wanted the converters. However, the other fill systems interest me! I have a Parker 51 and 21 coming next week, and will start keeping an eye out for Esterbrook's! I'm a fan of restoring if I can!

Top Bottom