What's new

CONTEST: Pimp Out a Shavette!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Gentlemen, some of your Straight Shaving brethren have clamoured for a PIMP MY SHAVETTE contest.

Whats a shavette? It is a straight razor with a removable blade, most often a DE blade snapped in half, but there are others that take proprietary blades like the Feather Artist Club series. Here is a popular one made by Parker that has been rescaled

Now ANY removable type razor is eligible. Parkers, Feathers, Wecks, Dovos, etc.

The Mod team unanimously agreed to bestow a Custom Title upon the winner of this contest, and Wherndon has generously donated a BB Pen to be awarded as well:
View attachment 326394

Here are the Rules

* No previous work may be submitted.
* Any shavette blade holder may be used.
* Judging will be based upon the scaling of the razor rather than on the modification of the blade (hopefully this will level the playing field for those who choose an inexpensive shavette over a Feather Artist Club).
* Participants must successfully shave with their creation before it can be submitted.
* Participants may submit as many entries as they would like within the timeframe of the contest.
* Anyone may join the competition at any time up until the day of the judging.

This contest will remain open until 2 months from the date of this posting to allow enough time for all you Gents to research, track down a shavette, and Pimp it out. After that time Kentos will coerce a few Mods to judge and declare a winner of this challenge!! Good luck Gentlemen!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had my parker for a bit and it sure is fun to use! I'm going to track down some materials and read more posts on scalemaking and then give it a try! I also have 2 Wecks on the way, one of which has boring scales, plus I might pick up a fromm hair shaper just to play with

Nice! The contest is live! I've got my Parker scheduled for delivery today. All other materials are on hand. Have fun, guys! :w00t:

*Edit*

It's here! Time to get to work!

Last edited:
I cleaned up the B&B pen tonight, boxed it, and included an unused converter, and a couple of Watterman Serenity Blue carts. It's a fine writer.
It is now in my safe waiting...
regards,
Bil

Thanks Bill. I am going to do everything in my power to win that pen!

Started on the Parker tonight, the sucker sure has a poor finish on the edge where the blade protrudes. A little date with the DMT 325 and 600 brightened it up a lot. A little time kissing the buffer will bring it home.

Thanks Bill. I am going to do everything in my power to win that pen!

Started on the Parker tonight, the sucker sure has a poor finish on the edge where the blade protrudes. A little date with the DMT 325 and 600 brightened it up a lot. A little time kissing the buffer will bring it home.

Nice to know! I hadn't considered polishing up the holder. Regardless of the fact that the scales are the focal point of this competition, I may have to steal that idea.

Nice to know! I hadn't considered polishing up the holder. Regardless of the fact that the scales are the focal point of this competition, I may have to steal that idea.

I can't make pretty scales and leave the holder looking sad, I have to o it all. Shaved with it tonight with a derby, not so impressed. I will cut a Personna for the next shave.

In working on my Parker, I've discovered one trick that may be of use to you guys. To keep the holder nice & tight on the pin without any slack at the pivot, take a dremel and cut down one of the original pins just wide enough to fit inside the holes of the blade holder. You can then run your pivot pin through this when rescaling the razor. In doing this, I was able to use a smaller pin than I would have otherwise and still use brass washers on the inside of the scales at the pivot. It worked perfectly!

Thanks Jon! Great advice.

I bought some brass tube to fit the hole and am willing to send a piece to anybody competing in the shavette pimpout. Just send me a SASE and I will send you two pins, four washers and a tube to make up the space in the rivet hole for free!

Just PM me for info, I will get the envelopes in the mail the same day I receive your SASE. One warning for you out of the US, you may have to pay VAT and other fees when your envelope arrives, the brass tube is really close to the max letter thickness and may have to go out as a package.

Thanks Jon! Great advice.

I bought some brass tube to fit the hole and am willing to send a piece to anybody competing in the shavette pimpout. Just send me a SASE and I will send you two pins, four washers and a tube to make up the space in the rivet hole for free!

Just PM me for info, I will get the envelopes in the mail the same day I receive your SASE. One warning for you out of the US, you may have to pay VAT and other fees when your envelope arrives, the brass tube is really close to the max letter thickness and may have to go out as a package.

That's very gentlemanly of you, Dave! It's for reasons like this I love these competitions so much. Win or lose, we all have a great time and end up with something we'll love using day to day. I don't expect to win these things. I just love the creative process and sharing my work along with any tips I can pass on (or pick up for my own use).

Thanks for the praise but its not about me, like you I want this to be fun, I want everyone that wants to play along to be able to do so and if I had the resources, i would send out razors as well just so we could see what incredible ideas people have banging around their heads.

Unlike the last competition, I intend to share my progress all the way through so that others can overcome some of the challenges I run into.

P.S. Thank you everyone that helped put this together, Kentos for doing what we asked of you and the Mods for stepping up to judge the results. This is truly my favorite forum and I appreciate the gentlemanly way you all carry yourselves.

Last edited:
As I'm nearing completion on my Parker, I decided to pick up a Wrek Sextoblade for my next project ($5 + shipping on eBay). Can anyone recommend a good blade to use with it?

As I'm nearing completion on my Parker, I decided to pick up a Wrek Sextoblade for my next project ($5 + shipping on eBay). Can anyone recommend a good blade to use with it?

The Personna blades were very nice, Fromm blades found at Sally Beauty were fine as well. The original blades are good too but mine had passed their prime and had some devils spit on the edge. Ladykate has a lot of experience with these.

Top Bottom