What's new

Considering a Gillette adjustable but i think i want a razor that doesn't exist.

So i got one.. thought i was buying a gold long handle from the pics on ebay but it turned out the colour was off and i ended up with a silver one.. Oh well. One shave in and it hasn't impressed me yet. Had a nick going atg on setting 5 and quite a bit of irritation which i guess is down to my still developing technique. I think i prefer my techs!

Don't get me wrong, I own more than a few Gillette adjustables but I'm not sold on the true value of that feature. I find that I tend to leave them on one setting and never change that, and going higher or lower doesn't unlock any magic.

In the non-vintage arena the best adjustable I've used to date is the Merkur Progress (short handle version). A truly smooth razor that I have used to obtain some great blade longevity with as I am able to open it up to increase blade exposure as the blade sharpness drops off.

Don't get me wrong, I own more than a few Gillette adjustables but I'm not sold on the true value of that feature. I find that I tend to leave them on one setting and never change that, and going higher or lower doesn't unlock any magic.

I tend to set it and forget it too but sometimes I'll dial it down for an ATG pass on my neck where it's easy to get irritation. I see a lot of people dialing it down with every pass so whatever works for an individual I guess!

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
So i got one.. thought i was buying a gold long handle from the pics on ebay but it turned out the colour was off and i ended up with a silver one.. Oh well. One shave in and it hasn't impressed me yet. Had a nick going atg on setting 5 and quite a bit of irritation which i guess is down to my still developing technique. I think i prefer my techs!
Maybe try experimenting with different blade choices. With a Feather, 4 is really good. On 9, it's a bit rough for me.

Kindly,
Adam

Some adjustables are probably like one I was given before Christmas. the dial turns (not all the way in this case), but it's not actually moving the mechanism to adjust the blades. It was very badly served for a long time, and needs to be taken apart, fully cleaned, then reset.

So, without a blade, see if the adjustment mechanism even functions.

Some adjustables are probably like one I was given before Christmas. the dial turns (not all the way in this case), but it's not actually moving the mechanism to adjust the blades. It was very badly served for a long time, and needs to be taken apart, fully cleaned, then reset.

So, without a blade, see if the adjustment mechanism even functions.

Thanks i did check and clean it beforehand. It's certainly moving. I used a Raipara super stainless blade as they became a reference point for me a while back.

Thanks for the input, I won't kick it to the curb just yet.

In the non-vintage arena the best adjustable I've used to date is the Merkur Progress (short handle version). A truly smooth razor that I have used to obtain some great blade longevity with as I am able to open it up to increase blade exposure as the blade sharpness drops off.

Well you're not really using the adjustable in a way that is giving you comfortable shaves. Try this, and I know it's going to seem counter intuitive at first. Up the aggression on each pass: WTG mild, XTG mid-aggressive, ATG and buff, more aggressive! Yes I said MORE not less! You'll have to experiment with how aggressive, but always move in this direction on each subsequent pass.. It's like lowering a lawn mower blade to get a closer cut. Most people (including me at first until Jim Chandler suggested it to me) get this backward, including one of my favorite shavers Geofatboy.

Many have used adjustable razors this way and like it. Closer shaves, more comfortable, less irritation.

If you leave it on one setting only it's like making love in one position only. Not very exciting or satisfactory after a while!

Top Bottom