What's new

Confessions, Part II: Foods we dislike

A list as long as your arm, but there is a perfectly rational explanation for every "Food Hell".......

Cauliflower Cheese - Circa 1976
I quite like cauli (especially raw) and I love cheese, but when we lived in Edificio Punta Ballena in the middle of "The Strip" in Magalluf, Dad's dopey ex-girlfriend decided to cook cauliflower cheese, unfortunately she inadvertently bought a Spanish cheese that was very similar to Parmesan - it not only stank out the apartment and half of the apartment block, but Dad swore he could smell it from his wine shop across the road - she ate the leftovers off our plates just to save face, but even at the tender age of 6, I knew that she didn't enjoy it - the place stank like an old pair of rugby socks for days afterwards, saying it was gross would be an insult to anything that is gross !!

Macaroni Cheese - Circa 1982
In England, same woman's kitchen nightmare - even at the tender age of 12, I should have known better than to trust her when she was cooking anything with cheese !!
Her exact words were " There's nothing like a nice bit of stodge" - no exaggeration, if I'd turned the plate upside down it wouldn't fall off - you could have hung wallpaper with it
I had heartburn all day and all night !!

Porridge - Circa 1982
I used to love "Ready Brek" - especially the chocolate flavour, but being a Co-Op Manager, Dad used to "buy" (aka write off) Co-Op's own label porridge oats
I could tolerate it when it was hot, but as it cooled it got thicker and thicker, and by the time it was lukewarm it was like concrete. We didn't have a microwave, so I had no way of reheating it, and even now it makes me cringe to think about gulping down spoonfuls of lukewarm stodge because if I tried to eat it normally it would activate my gag reflex !!
I tried making porridge for myself a few times after I left home, but regretted it every time !!

Tripe - Circa 1982
I ordered it off the menu while on holiday in France just to try it out - and never made that mistake again !!
It was just bland tasting pieces of shapeless "stuff" in a thin, bland tasting gravy - apart from the fact that tripe is basically just another name for boiled cow's guts, I can see why it's normally only used as dog food - dogs aren't particularly fussy about what they eat !!

Toad In The Hole - aka "Frog in a bog"
Circa 1979 at school, circa 1989 at work
I like sausages as much as the next man, and I quite like Yorkshire Puddings, if they're nice and crisp on the outside and light and fluffy in the middle, BUT....
If the greasy, cheap catering sausages in soggy, insipid batter that I had to eat at school weren't bad enough, the half decent breakfast sausages ruined by spongey insipid batter that I had to eat at work just about ruined a British classic in my books -
Now I'd rather just cut out the middle man and have a Giant Yorkshire Pudding filled with decent quality pork sausages and onion gravy - especially if it's as good as the one I ate off the bar menu when I was in the Craven Heiffer Pub in West Addingham near Leeds, West Yorkshire for a gig in January 2002 !!

Lasagne - Circa 1989
Staff canteen at work - enough to put me off, even when I tried eating it outside of work

Shepherd's Pie / Cottage Pie - Circa 1979 / Circa 1989
School food / Staff food, whether it was made using minced lamb or minced beef they both tasted just as gross as each other !!

Steak & Kidney Pudding - Circa 1975 / Circa 1979 / Circa 1992
I love beef, but I hate fat and gristle in beef
I love a nice Steak & Kidney Pie - people swear by Pukka Pies, but I prefer Wright's, Bowyer's, Wall's, Miller's and every Supermarket's own label Steak & Kidney Pie that I've ever tried, BUT
I hate Steak & Kidney Pudding - no matter how lean the meat is or how rich the sauce is - Heston Blumenthal, Gordon Ramsey, Gary Rhodes, James Martin, Jamie Oliver or indeed, any other Celebrity Chef could use the best quality newborn veal fillet steak and newborn veal kidneys from little baby Wagyu cows in the same mix with Grand Cru wine in the sauce and put a proper shortcrust or flaky pastry pie topping on one half and crucify the other half by steaming it as a pudding, and I'll be as happy as Larry with the pie - and gag and retch trying to eat the pudding - I just don't like stodgy steak and kidney pudding - period !!

Instant mashed potato / tinned peas / Spam fritters
Circa - for as long as I can remember !!
Dad hated "POM", tinned peas and Spam fritters when he was in the RAF from 1946 to 1955
I hated the same stodgy, processed or greasy muck when I was at school that Dad had to put up with when he was in the RAF !!

Used to like, but now hate - and can't think why......

Bananas - when I was a kid, nobody liked bananas more than me (except maybe for *elephants, apes and monkeys) - now whenever my 84 yo Dad has a banana for his lunch and I get a whiff of it, it activates my gag reflex
*elephants - Dushy, Pakeer, Piraba, Pirapa, Pushpan and Sri, the "Night Crew" on Banqueting at the last hotel I worked at and probably the hardest workers I've ever seen, who used to work from 7am either on Banqueting, Housekeeping or as KP's, then do another shift at 3pm in any one of the 3 departments, followed by a night shift at 11pm on Banqueting - were all from Sri Lanka - as Night Manager I'd turn a blind eye to them sleeping in the function rooms in return for a plateful of the curry that they used to cook up after raiding the kitchen - the Chefs never found out because Reggie, the Breakfast Chef was also Sri Lankan !!
Pakeer, one of their Supervisors reliably informed me over curry one night that in Sri Lanka, bananas are the favourite food of the elephants that they put to work carrying timber !!

Branston Pickle - I used to love cheese & pickle sandwiches, I used to love cold cuts of ham, roast beef and turkey with Branston Pickle and a baked potato every Boxing Day - now if you take the lid off a jar of Branston in the same room as me - I start to gag and puke in my mouth !!

Corned Beef - Dad loved corned beef & mash (made from potatoes not POM) with HP Sauce in the RAF, and when I was a kid proper Fray Bentos corned beef with mash, curried beans and a good squirt of HP Sauce was a rare treat that I only ever ate once in a blue moon
The last time I ate it, about 5 years ago I gagged and retched so much that I ate the mash, curried beans and HP, but had to leave most of the corned beef virtually untasted

Last edited:
Never have been able to enjoy raw tomatoes. Green peas make me gag. I can tolerate a few peas in a pot pie or Chinese food unless they go overboard which happens with some dishes.

I never used to like Brussels sprouts until I got a recipe from a Belgian which called for them to be fried in butter. Not bad that way though no longer as healthy :001_smile

Never have been able to enjoy raw tomatoes. Green peas make me gag. I can tolerate a few peas in a pot pie or Chinese food unless they go overboard which happens with some dishes.

I never used to like Brussels sprouts until I got a recipe from a Belgian which called for them to be fried in butter. Not bad that way though no longer as healthy :001_smile

Once the sprouts are browned up with butter pour in some whipping cream and braise until cooked to your liking, squeeze of lemon, salt & pepper... sublime!
dave

Popcorn. I recently came to the realization i ate popcorn for the salt & fat factor and the fact it kept my hands busy while my brain was not nearly fully engaged in doing something else. Dry, saltless popcorn just serves no purpose.

dave

I was similar with them, till I hit upon oven roasting them. Toss them in a bit of olive oil, lightly salt, maybe some crushed garlic tossed with them in the oil, and oven bake on a sheet for like 35 minutes at about 380 or so.

Once the sprouts are browned up with butter pour in some whipping cream and braise until cooked to your liking, squeeze of lemon, salt & pepper... sublime!
dave

I was similar with them, till I hit upon oven roasting them. Toss them in a bit of olive oil, lightly salt, maybe some crushed garlic tossed with them in the oil, and oven bake on a sheet for like 35 minutes at about 380 or so.

These all sound great! I think the sprouts I was forced to eat when I was young were often mushy. I have a strong gag reflex. A little crispy with some flavor added sounds about right.

These all sound great! I think the sprouts I was forced to eat when I was young were often mushy. I have a strong gag reflex. A little crispy with some flavor added sounds about right.
The nice part of the oven roasting is you can make them as crisp as you want. Just leave them in longer till they get a really nice crispy outer edge on them.

Something else i read in a cookbook called 'Bitter' is that the young palate just can't deal with bitter tasting food. An appreciation, an ability to even handle it only comes as we age on.

That said i'm with you on the mushy sentiment, i still find hot & mushy revolting, has to be exceptions but nothing comes to mind at the moment.

dave

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
ANYTHING prepared with Alfredo sauce i will not eat.

Green Pasta I will not eat.

For some reason in this area people make their spaghetti and pastas with a green colored sauce and they think it is to die for.

Gags me to look at it.
I will remain at the table if served something with Alfredo sauce but I will not touch anything on the plate.
If served that vile green stuff remove my plate or I shall remove myself from the table.
I have never seen anything (food related) so revolting in my life.
Last week at a luncheon my better half served me a plate with that vile green pasta crap and I got up and walked away. She asked me to eat around it. I asked her how I could eat around it when just the sight of that vile pile of excrement makes want to vomit! She started to say something and I reminded her that she knows I despise that green abomination. She said she didn't want to be rude to the hosts. I guess it's less rude to throw an entire plate of their "food" in the trash right in front of them!!
Anyway: you get the picture!!
That is all!

We once decided, maybe 30 years ago, we'd like to try kasha/buckwheat groats. Found a recipe cooked them up according to it, plated them up and it looked to me like a bowl sow bugs. Had a taste and I couldn't go... straight to the trash. The image is etched in my memory.

I can't view red beets on a plate or bowl in my vicinity, sometimes even pictures are hard to view the repulsion is so visceral.

dave

ANYTHING prepared with Alfredo sauce i will not eat.

Green Pasta I will not eat.

For some reason in this area people make their spaghetti and pastas with a green colored sauce and they think it is to die for.

Gags me to look at it.
I will remain at the table if served something with Alfredo sauce but I will not touch anything on the plate.
If served that vile green stuff remove my plate or I shall remove myself from the table.
I have never seen anything (food related) so revolting in my life.
Last week at a luncheon my better half served me a plate with that vile green pasta crap and I got up and walked away. She asked me to eat around it. I asked her how I could eat around it when just the sight of that vile pile of excrement makes want to vomit! She started to say something and I reminded her that she knows I despise that green abomination. She said she didn't want to be rude to the hosts. I guess it's less rude to throw an entire plate of their "food" in the trash right in front of them!!
Anyway: you get the picture!!
That is all!
I'm curious as to what the green sauce contains for ingredients, actually. lol

If by green sauce, pesto is meant, i've seen all manner of greens used as the green element. Traditionally basil as the green with olive oil, garlic, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese some salt and pepper blitzed/mixed together. It would seem every element subject to change.

dave

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Ops. Not pesto. More like tomatillo and chilis and some Mexican cream!

i very much dislike yogurt, celery, ketchup, risotto rice, some other select foods i cant think of right now

p.s i also dislike pesto and PB&J sandwiches

Top Bottom