What's new

Confessions, Part II: Foods we dislike

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I have found it really depends on the meat, and how you reheat it. Leftover steak or prime rib I wrap in foil and reheat in the oven, adding a pat of butter or some au jus into the foil packet. While not the same as when it's fresh off the grill, I find it acceptable and satisfying still. Microwaving it though? No way, totally ruins it.

I'll give that a go. I have not found anything good for lamb and the wife insist on re heating it.

unless it's chili or spaghetti...some how that stuff always taste better the day after.

True, anything with gravy/sauce inparts flavour into the meat. Thus making it better the day after. Vindaloo is another and other curries.

Dislikes:

• Oysters. Euw.
  • Lobster is overrated, but I do love a proper Lobster Roll with a side of fries.
  • Saffron as a spice. Tastes and smells like an industrial cleaning fluid to me. Pretty colour though.
  • Modern canned corned beef. I seem to remember it being more chunky and less pasty back in the day.
  • Pesto.
  • Muktuk. Yes, I have eaten it, but mostly to be polite and out of curiosity. Tastes like EVA foam marinated in cod liver oil.
  • Cod liver oil.
  • Almost all sashimi & sushi selections.
  • Blue cheese
  • Mutton
  • Goose
  • Fruitcake (not to be confused with plum pudding, which is muy tasty).
Former dislikes (but like now):
  • Clam chowder.
  • Fried onions - I hated the mouth fee.l
  • Brussels sprouts - it all changed when I discovered cheese sauce.

Dislikes:

• Fruitcake (not to be confused with plum pudding, which is muy tasty).
Former dislikes (but like now):
  • Brussels sprouts - it all changed when I discovered cheese sauce.

Did you check out the fruitcake thread that was going on? Plum pudding is just a fruitcake, only made with better quality ingredients than the mass produced building bricks filled with candied "fruit". I grew up having plum pudding every Thanksgiving, Christmas, and if I begged my grandma enough, New Years day. Looking through some of the excellent home made fruit cake recipes in that thread, many were pretty similar in over all ingredients to the plum puddings of my youth, so you maybe surprised to find them darned good.

What brought me around to brussel sprouts was the discovery of tossing them in oil, lightly salt, add some crushed garlic, and just roast in a 400 degree oven for 20-30 minutes. Let them get a good browned crisp to even char on the edges and outside. If you still don't like them that way, they will still accept a good cheese sauce. :lol:

Mayonnaise and most cheeses. I have found in my 60+ years of eating that most eateries believe wholeheartedly, that EVERYTHING is better if you cover it with cheese and/or mayonnaise. I can't tell you how many hundreds of burgers, sandwiches and various entrees have been returned to the counter in my history, because the workers just can't seem to resist adding one or both of the above two detestable ingredients. I actually had a server in a sandwich shop in New Orleans refuse to make me a po-boy without mayo, because "its just so much better with mayo".

Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream.

Tastes like brushing your teeth while eating a Hershey's Bar.

That sensation is precisely why I changed over to a cinnamon flavored toothpaste. It ruins the flavor of way less things you eat or drink afterwards, and the toothpaste's flavor doesn't linger as long.

Last edited:
I think my only real turnoff food is eggplant. It tastes like moldy sponge. I'm not a huge fan of cooked beets. I'd rather have them raw or just blanched. Other than that, it much else I wouldn't try once. I saw a brain sandwich on Andrew Zimmerman's show that looked pretty darn tasty.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
For the first several decades of my life I could not stand being in the presence of nuts, mustard, pickles (couldn't even sit at a table with one) and strawberries. I have eventually come to tolerate all of them with the exception of strawberries.

I will eat anything, but given a choice I avoid rice. Blah. White has no flavor, "spanish rice" at most Tex-Mex places is dry and tasteless. Wild rice is not rice and I do enjoy it.

Pickles, watermelon. Another food I used to dread were raw tomatoes. At some point got over it by trying new varieties, mostly heirlooms and now am well on the road to recovery.

Last edited:
Top Bottom