What's new

Confessions, Part II: Foods we dislike

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Straight milk - I love the things that happen to milk: buttermilk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream, even just chocolate milk, but don't make me drink the straight stuff. I can't stand it.

Mushy cooked carrots

Miracle Whip

American "cheese," unless it's melted into a cheeseburger

Anything cloyingly sweet that isn't balanced

I used to think pimento cheese tasted like vomit, but I've come around.

I've developed a real revulsion to overcooked seafood. That said, I can still eat canned tuna or salmon and be fine. I guess that's just a vestige of growing up.

Onions: the Devil's Testicles. The closer to raw the worse they are too. I can't stand being around when they are being chopped or cooked. Occasionally a stray one will make it's way onto a pizza or in a sub and I end up gagging.

For some reason I really dislike raw tomatoes but am OK with tomato sauces.

I can't do lemon pepper. I don't mind lemon and I love pepper, but to two together just doesn't work for me. I even think it smells good, but have tried it several times and it's not for me. I never use chicken rubs or marinades, always use steak seasoning for poultry.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Tofu. In any form except small chunks in miso soup and I leave it in the bowl. Can't differentiate it from phlegm on my palate. I was in a tofu factory in Qing Xi China. Nassss - teeee!

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
But...

There isn't a variety of apple which isn't genetically modified.

The same goes for corn, actually. It was a GMO before the term or understanding of such things existed. lol

I belive that most apples are not GMO.
The old verieties would have been changed by cross pollination (mother nature at work) and cross breeding, man moving the pollen between the different plant, not in a lab.
GMO on the other hand is done in the lab by transfering the genes of anther plant.

The old verieties would have been changed by cross pollination (mother nature at work) and cross breeding, man moving the pollen between the different plant, not in a lab.
GMO on the other hand is done in the lab by transfering the genes of anther plant.
So...

If the lab happens to be a bunch of poorly paid high school kids yanking tassels out of corn for NK+ hybrids...That's not GMO? Because I think when they use cuttings to keep mother nature from working and the strain of apples "pure", that qualifies as GMO by definition.

It gives me a grinding feeling in my gut when I see "Non GMO" on a bag of kale.

At any rate...Back to your regularly scheduled thread...

I also despise venison. Ate too much "bumper crop" deer meat when I was a kid.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I had a sales coach say something during a seminar;

"If it tastes good spit it out it's probably bad for you." I think apples taste great so I got up and left the seminar.

I should have used one of my homegrown heirloom tomatoes as an example stead of an apple.

I grew up on left overs. Some things I do agree seems like you are eating the same thing again but others can make something totally different.
Roast Lamb for example. Sunday hot roast, cold meat the next day for sandwhices or with a meal. Then it can also be made into a shepards pie.
Left over mash spuds, I often make too much just so I can have bubble and squeak. Hey you could even make it into fish cakes.

I'm all for this, transformative cooking, taking what you have in leftovers and making it into something new, that's cooking, getting creative! Leftovers are no longer leftovers when you're doing this.

Supermarket tomatoes, for New Years Eve i broke down and bought a tub of a wide mix of cherry tomatoes some i recognized as ones i've grown. Pleasantly surprised they were more then just eye candy, they tastes like tomatoes. Backyard grown cherry tomatoes usually have a fairly tough skin so maybe they can get away with growing and shipping from afar the same cultivars we plant and grow for their flavour?

Was haunted all night long by dreams of bad food.

Add to my list, commercial perogies from the supermarket freezer section, vile, my father-in-law referred to them as sinkers, maybe the only thing we saw eye to eye on. Someone my wife use to work with, her family would make up big batches and then take orders from co-workers, those were sublime food.

I love desserts, from simple fresh fruit bowl with yogurt, to cookies, pies, cakes, loafs, bars, ice cream, sorbet, gelato, puddings on and on until you get to Cheesecake, just gross from top to bottom.

And a regular cheesecake topping the insipid beauty queen of fruit, the strawberry, who stole the flavour? Even have some growing in the yard, what a waste. The cultivars i've seen recommended to grow for flavour i haven't yet been able to track down in this part of the world. Strawberries used to burst with flavour, all gone now.

Smoothies, medleys of fresh vegetable/fruit juice extractions, juiced wheat grass, yet to taste anything that appeals to me.

dave

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
So...

If the lab happens to be a bunch of poorly paid high school kids yanking tassels out of corn for NK+ hybrids...That's not GMO? Because I think when they use cuttings to keep mother nature from working and the strain of apples "pure", that qualifies as GMO by definition.

It gives me a grinding feeling in my gut when I see "Non GMO" on a bag of kale.

At any rate...Back to your regularly scheduled thread...

I also despise venison. Ate too much "bumper crop" deer meat when I was a kid.

Not trying to change your mind on what is and is not GMO but this is what backs up what I said, if you would like to read/watch.
https://gmoanswers.com/ask/please-e...eeding-or-cross-pollination-and-how-prevalent

....anyway nuf said back to the on track. Have a good day.

I hate reheated cooked meat. It never taste the same.

I hate reheated cooked meat. It never taste the same.

Yes, exactly!

I have found it really depends on the meat, and how you reheat it. Leftover steak or prime rib I wrap in foil and reheat in the oven, adding a pat of butter or some au jus into the foil packet. While not the same as when it's fresh off the grill, I find it acceptable and satisfying still. Microwaving it though? No way, totally ruins it.

Nothing I've found yet.

I enjoy trying unusual food, and while some aren't spectacular, I haven't found anything I wouldn't eat again.

No oysters or most shellfish. They're mostly gonad. Except scallops which are adductor muscle, but I still don't like em.

Liver. Unless it's a nice paté, though foie gras does little for me.

Kidneys. I know what kidneys do and they taste awful.

Macaroni and cheese. Always made me want to barf as a kid. Still does, though I make it 3 days a week for mine.

Beets. If ever something tastes like a mouthful of dirt it's beets. There are other things like heavily fatted fish and any of it that is even close to going off.

Things formerly not liked at all but now faves? Brussel sprouts, mushrooms, peppers. Disliked them all when young. Really like them now. The Brussel sprouts can be made much better by getting smaller ones. Typically not as bitter. Do like my wife does. Saute in balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and a spot of brown sugar. Superb.

According to the cookbook 'Bitter', bitter tastes are very difficult for the young palate to deal with so it's not unusual to see people appreciate Brussels Sprouts as adults where they were on the most hated list when they were young. I wanted to like them, they were just so cool looking, mini cabbages. I'd willingly force em down as a kid but it was a chore, now i can't wait for them to appear at the market in the fall, in my top three anticipated vegetables of the growing season.

dave

Top Bottom