What's new

Confessions, Part II: Foods we dislike

While there is lots of talk of foods we really like, sometimes a thread to vent about the other side of our tastes is therapeutic as well. Who knows, maybe some discussion will convince someone to try something they used to dislike, and they find they actually like it now. I've had that happen with sweet peppers. Used to really hate them as a kid, which faded into a mere dislike a while back, and now I actually have found applications where I like them.

Still on my hate list:

Beets
Cucumbers (unless they are pickles)
Er... lots of other veggies. Meat and taters type person, I can't help it. lol
Most fish (fish are friends, not food)... actually, the majority of seafood I'm not fond of.

Celery. Yuck.
Chicken. There, I said it. The meat is always full of gross veins.
Salmon. Fatty, greasy, yucky.

Any sort of warm mushy food i can chew with my tongue and i only have use of half, this should solidify my outlier status.

Sooo any egg dish where air has been incorporated into the egg, scrambled eggs, omelettes, fritattas etc.

Have always despised mushed vegetables so the food i grew up on, blobs of mashed potatoes, carrots, turnips, squash, creamed corn... over cooked mushy whole vegetables. Why oh why couldn't i have just been fed raw vegetables, would have been healthier.

Hot cereals, oatmeal, porridge, again think hot mush. On occasion I do make and enjoy overnight cold soaked steel cut oats for breakfast.

Meatloaf, meatballs, any formed hamburger hot or cold. That said, hamburgers are great as long as they are more in a supporting role for all the other stuff the burger is dressed with. Sausages are hit and miss, best crispy crunchy.

I think i may be allergic to beets, even the smell of them or the tops cooking it feels like my windpipe is collapsing difficulty breathing. Had to always eat them as a kid, i can't even bear to look at the red ones cooked. I grow albino, golden & chioggias for the others in the household so i don't have to see the red ones.

Gravy

Turkey

Pancakes, waffles i'm quite happy to pass on although Dutch pancakes (in Holland) were a revelation, a good revelation!

... must be January

dave

I will not eat mushrooms nor okra.

I'm with you on okra. Mushroom is actually another one I started to dislike less as I got older. I also discovered that all my experience with them as a kid was the canned slimy slices they put onto pizzas. I still hate those, but fresh ones I have found a few applications where I like them, or at least don't hate them.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I used to be a VERY picky eater. Now that I am older, perhaps my taste buds are shot? I now can think of nothing I won't eat..... Interesting subject....I will have to keep pondering it.....

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I like all of the above mentioned...well, maybe not oatmeal...but then again....

Mountain oysters? My Aunt used to call them Calf Ears so we didn't know what they were. They were good, but Calf Ears doesn't sound good either, does it?

And I like regular oysters. With the red sauce a guy in NOLA showed me how to make.

Oh, I have it...sashimi.

You forgot to cook that...we call that fishing bait here.

And I like raw oysters...go figure.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Brussel sprouts, I have given them another try and still not something I enjoy.

Steak & Kidney pie. I'm ok with the steak LOL but you can keep the kidneys.
In my early 20's one of my new work mates commented on my refusal to eat one. He said real men eat steak and kidney pies.
My answer was "BS, real men don't get told what they must eat.
Funny enough I eat a lot of offal, just can't get into kidneys. Give me some lambs brains or sweet breads any day.

Taro. My wife is a Raro', so she eats them......pass.
As she does not like some things I do (eg lamb brains, black pudding), I take the opportunity to make that for myself when she wants a taro.

Leftovers, an ideal meal there is nothing left, all eaten. I would rather be wishing for more after a meal then have to put leftover food in the fridge, plus it takes a future opportunity to make something new and never tried before.

Now most homemade soups & stews are exempt, they- have magical qualities.

In the summer we fill the freezer with seasonal fruit for winter pies. Not a meal in there that could be defrosted and heated but we do stock it with tubs and cubes of homemade stocks when we do pots of those.

My wife and daughter are quite happy with leftovers...

dave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
grown fermented baby chicks/ducks in the eggshell.

Spam...except if you fry it.

Buttermilk...unless I make biscuits

cottage cheese

Anything in a box

fake too much salted salsa or hot sauce

tortilla's in a plastic a package...get the ones in paper wrapping

any type of salad dressing from a plastic bottle

farm raised shrimp

supermarket tomatoes

light beer

canned fruits or veggies with an exception to tomato sauce.

Industrial made oils like canola, vegetable, peanut or sunflower.

Coffee from a can

Wolf brand chili

any type of yogart that's sweetened or messed with.

Enriched flour

processed food

GMO

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Leftovers, an ideal meal there is nothing left, all eaten. I would rather be wishing for more after a meal then have to put leftover food in the fridge, plus it takes a future opportunity to make something new and never tried before.

dave

I grew up on left overs. Some things I do agree seems like you are eating the same thing again but others can make something totally different.
Roast Lamb for example. Sunday hot roast, cold meat the next day for sandwhices or with a meal. Then it can also be made into a shepards pie.
Left over mash spuds, I often make too much just so I can have bubble and squeak. Hey you could even make it into fish cakes.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

Now most homemade soups & stews are exempt, they- have magical qualities.

In the summer we fill the freezer with seasonal fruit for winter pies. Not a meal in there that could be defrosted and heated but we do stock it with tubs and cubes of homemade stocks when we do pots of those.

My wife and daughter are quite happy with leftovers...

dave
Since you think that of soups and stews, the same applies to chili IMO.

Light beer is an aberration. I accidently picked up a couple of cans of Asahi Zero once from the supermarket, utterly vile.

I am not keen on offal, and won't eat anything that's come out of water, which a vast disappointment to the missus as Indonesians love "variety meats" and all seafood. On one of our first dates we went to a hotel buffet in Jakarta, she was most excited as that particular day was Padang fare (her mum's home town), and they had brain curry on. I nearly puked at the sight! She got well stuck in to it though, bless.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I had a sales coach say something during a seminar;

"If it tastes good spit it out it's probably bad for you." I think apples taste great so I got up and left the seminar.

Nice to see I'm far from alone in having some things I just can't seem to develop a taste for. I was often accused of being a very picky eater by my mom, and looking back, I can give her some accuracy credit in that statement. I have also now figured that that it was at least partially caused by her lack of culinary skills, though. :lol:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Brussel sprouts: I formerly hated them! What a nasty taste.

Then my wife cooked them in olive oil with plenty of garlic. Now I love them. Some things are good just because they're interesting.

Top Bottom