What's new

Cobra Classic Injector Razor

They were on sale not too long ago. Not down to the previous price level but low enough to entice me to finally get one

Used it today. Nice razor, excellent shave

proxy.php

Yes they have been steadily raising the prices while the quality continues to drop........
Actually, my experience is that they have had quality-control issues all along. I bought mine 2 years ago when the price was $125.00 and had to send the first one back because the blade lock-down was not secure, and the finish flawed. The second one was perfect and I still have it. With Kai mild blades, I like it much better than my R41 and as much as my Joris, but I think you really have to be careful when buying one. Used, you need to ask how secure the blade lock-down is.

They were on sale not too long ago. Not down to the previous price level but low enough to entice me to finally get one

Used it today. Nice razor, excellent shave

I got one about a week ago off the B/S/T for a decent price. Can't wait to try it out! I wasn't sure what blades to get so I wen't with the Pro Guard blades because they seemed like they would be the mildest. I've got a tough beard but somewhat sensitive skin. I'll have to check out the Kai Mild blades, didn't know about them at the time I ordered blades.

I'm willing to overlook some of the minor aesthetic issues with this razor, because it delivers the finest shaves I've ever experienced. If one of the new age manufacturers i.e. Tradere, Ikon, Pils etc. were to come out with an all stainless version without the blade lock down mechanism it would be game over for my DE razors and blades.

The Cobra has arrived in my den a bit over a week ago as part of poonjaji's International Tour and (like it tends to happen when a predator, in this case a Snake, moves into a territory) all other game has retreated :blink:. In just 7 shaves, this gorgeous SE has managed to provide me with some of the very best (non-straight-razor) shaves. I have gone through just over 30 different DEs and SE, Vintage & Modern, have gotten some very good, sometimes even excellent shaves with certain blade+razor combinations but the Cobra has managed to blow them all into oblivion. I am not a minimalist but I do like it uncluttered, so I was never a great collector of razors and the like. That is why I was always kind of searching for The One - the razor which provides me with enjoyable shaves day in and out. That is also why, in the span of 2 days, I sold off most of my other razors. I am still holding on to the Merkur 11C, that is the one razor which has, on my face, outperformed all other DEs. And I just received, with delay, the 34C HD, which needs to be given a trial run before I decide its fate.

But back to the topic at hand, the Cobra. Yes, it is not flawless. Yes, loading the blades is not as easy and straightforward as loading a Schick Injector or similar. But then, I always prefered stick shift to automatic :wink2: and replacing the blade in the Cobra is not really a problem for me. I find it beautiful to behold and to hold (which needs a bit of getting used to). I definitely like it's weight and I actually do very much like the wide head. I also like the Feather Professional blades a lot, I suspect I will like them even more than the usual FH-10 DE blades which are my go-to blades. I have also used the KAI Captain blade in the Cobra, which does a very good job. But I definitely prefer the Feathers.

Every shave so far (yes yes, there have only been 7 up to now...) was nick-free, smooth as silk and totally irritation free, something which still does tend to happen to me once in a while, even with the best of my DE-combos. Would I like the Cobra in stainless steel and with certain changes (some might say 'imporvements')? No, as I very much like it plated in Nickel as it is and I also like the loading mechanism, the rather unusual handle and the overall uniqueness of this razor.

$DSCF4866.jpgView attachment 285790$DSCF4870.jpg$DSCF4878.jpg$DSCF4869.jpg

Ravi: As a Joris/Plisson & Fatip fan, you'll find that the Cobra is very similar. In my opinion, the Cobra shaves better than our J/P & F friends. it's the ideal razor for me.

Ravi,

I'm betting that you will fall in love with your Cobra Classic!

The Cobra Classic has been my daily razor for almost 3 years. It is a wonderful instrument, but every time I neglect to be extremely careful with my strokes, my styptic stick is called to duty.

My point is that the trade-off for the wonderful results is that you must constantly observe the protocols connected with a super-sharp shaver.

Enjoy and be careful!

Ravi: As a Joris/Plisson & Fatip fan, you'll find that the Cobra is very similar. In my opinion, the Cobra shaves better than our J/P & F friends. it's the ideal razor for me.

Too bad it's an only child with no siblings unlike that Joris-Plisson gang of yours!

Ravi,

I'm betting that you will fall in love with your Cobra Classic!

The Cobra Classic has been my daily razor for almost 3 years. It is a wonderful instrument, but every time I neglect to be extremely careful with my strokes, my styptic stick is called to duty.

My point is that the trade-off for the wonderful results is that you must constantly observe the protocols connected with a super-sharp shaver.

Enjoy and be careful!

Thanks for the useful advice!

My first shave with the Cobra was Epic! I am now in shaving Nirvana! I have never experienced a closer, smoother shave. 3 easy passes to true BBS. Once I got a hang of the right angle on the first WTG pass, the rest of the shave proceeded smoothly. Although I initially thought the handle shape would be problematic, it was not difficult to manage at all. I did rub a little alum on my shaving hand to assist with grip. My DE razors are probably crying a little bit right now at the thought of being neglected somewhat now! I have to re-think my razor hierarchy carefully now!

Many thanks to celestino for his words of encouragement and his enabling pictures!

My first shave with the Cobra was Epic! I am now in shaving Nirvana! I have never experienced a closer, smoother shave. 3 easy passes to true BBS. Once I got a hang of the right angle on the first WTG pass, the rest of the shave proceeded smoothly. Although I initially thought the handle shape would be problematic, it was not difficult to manage at all. I did rub a little alum on my shaving hand to assist with grip. My DE razors are probably crying a little bit right now at the thought of being neglected somewhat now! I have to re-think my razor hierarchy carefully now!

Many thanks to celestino for his words of encouragement and his enabling pictures!
Ravi congrats on the successfull shave, you should probably sell me your poor lonely 37G!!

Ravi congrats on the successfull shave, you should probably sell me your poor lonely 37G!!

Ah Toby, thank you for the kind offer! My 37G/37C/39C still rank highly in my razor arsenal ... so no for now! I am seriously considering thinning the herd of other razors though ... something I never thought I would do. It just seems wasteful to see razors sitting unused ... so sad.

How many shaves do you get out of these cobra feather blades?
they are about 8-10 times more money than DE blades.
Do they last 8-10 times longer?

Typically, a blade will last me 10 - 15 shaves. Also, IMO, there is a noticeable difference in shave quality (with the Cobra being the better), when comparing with "normal" DE blades.

I love the Cobra Classic. I find it a very smooth and easy shaver. By easy, I mean that I feel I can whip it around my face without fear of injury. The attention it requires is much less than I experienced with the R41, Joris, and Futur.

While the Cobra has relegated my DEs and other SEs to the cabinet, it has had the opposite effect on my shaving software. As an example, I love the smell of Floris 89 soap but had not been using it because of substandard lather resulting in post-shave irritation. I have the newer non-tallow version, of course. This past week, with a Kai loaded in my Cobra, I have been shaving with the Floris 89 with outstanding results. The Cobra seems to glide through whatever product I throw at it, leaving my face smooth and irritation-free.

* If you buy the Feather Professional blades, you can get them for as cheap as $15 for a 20-pack; they last on average 10 shaves; you are paying 13 cents a day for the shaves or $1.33 for each blade; not a bad deal, in my opinion.

* Ravi, congratulations, my friend! Sorry, i am a tad late to the party.
If anyone wants more encouragement here you go:

$cobra1n.jpg
Hee hee!

just used the cobra for the first time.
really nice razor.
i used Vostok cream and proraso splash and then nivea balm. there are a lot of things i like about this razor...i like the sharp blade, the blade dispenser, and i like the weight of the razor and i even like the wide razor head which gives a nice pass.
i did three pass shave and ended up with a super smooth shave and no bleeding. as good as any shaves i've had. only slight irritation on the neck which is due to my heavy hand (i even write heavy with pens).
Things i didnt like....handle was a tad slippery when i went to change grips for ATG and WTG passes...i have to slow up and stop acting like its a super grippy bulldog handle. i am not a fan of the handle shape either...doesnt seem to fit into my razor stand....shape is nice in the hand but not so nice for my stand.

overall i like the razor and plan to use it for the week before i decide whether or not to sell it on the forums or to sell my Gem open comb instead.

Top Bottom