What's new

clogged up bathroom sink help!

A plumber recommended I use a product called Glug once a month to keep the drains clear, not as caustic as liquid plumber and similar products. I have an older house and this stuff is great. I believe you can only get it at a plumbing supply though.

DO not use liquid plumer! It can eat away metal pipes if you have them and it is expensive. The best thing to use, told to me by a plumer, is to pour white vinegar (1 cup) down the drawn wait a couple of minutes and then flush with hot water.Do this once a month and you will never have a problem. Another method is to pur a few tablespoons of baking soda down the drain wait a few minutes and again flush with hot water. This also works like a charm!!

Every month or two I run a 50-50 vinegar/water mix through the coffee pot. I then put some baking soda down my drains and pour the hot vinegar/water mix down the drain. It cleans them out pretty good without chemicals. Don't forget to put some baking soda and vinegar down the overflow hole to keep that clear.

And everyone should have a $3 Zip-it. I use it before the baking soda/vinegar.

Boom, there it is.

After years of using Liquid Plumbr and other such concoctions, I had a clog in the bathtub that wouldn't budge. I purchased the little plastic snake thingie and cleared it right up. I haven't had a problem since.

And the baking soda and vinegar trick is outstanding. Works like a charm. Good for cleaning stinky drains too.

Regards.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Go to your local home improvement or hardware store and grab a package of these zip type drain cleaners for a few bucks, and once a month or so, run one into the sink and the bathtub/shower drain.

You will be STUNNED at what you pull out on a regular basis.

Hair, particularly long female hair, is a natural sieve for anything else going down the drain. It traps soap and soap scum and can really cause problems.

$ZipItDrainCleaner 248 2011-02-21.jpg

A few months ago We had a badly clogged sink which no amount of liquid plumber could open.
What I did was to fill the sink partially with water, take a plastic bottle that fit snugly in the clogged drain and force some air and water through the pipe by squeezing the bottle several times.
Worked like a charm.

(snip)

For stubborn drains I use a gas plunger. It takes CO2 carts that paintball guns use and with water in the drain you trip the pin and it blasts the compressed air into the drain. It explosively forces the blockage out. It can get messy. You might force the plug further down you system too. It beats the pump and jump of a regular plunger and smelly finish stripping chemical mess of using liquid drain cleaners.

Don't go out and buy one of the CO2 plunger systems without researching it. If you have an old home with sensitive pipes or a newer home with PVC pipes it may not be for you. The last thing you want to do is start out with a clog and end up with a blown out drain line.

(snip)

Some hardware stores will rent you a re-usable gas plunger. These have a built-in pump that pressurizes an air reservoir, so you can do multiple blasts without fear of running out of CO2 cartridges.

I can actually relate - I use tabac, and other soaps, and I have noticed the tendency for our sink to clog. Not sure exactly what's causing it - I suppose the excess soap I rinse down the drain probably collects and coats the pipe.

At any rate, I keep a large bottle of liquid plumber on reserve and if I sense the drain is running slow, I'll pour 12-16 oz in, wait 15 minutes and flush with hot water.

I also try to run hot water down the drain after I finish rinsing the excess lather out of my scuttle.
+1

Every month or two I run a 50-50 vinegar/water mix through the coffee pot. I then put some baking soda down my drains and pour the hot vinegar/water mix down the drain. It cleans them out pretty good without chemicals. Don't forget to put some baking soda and vinegar down the overflow hole to keep that clear.

And everyone should have a $3 Zip-it. I use it before the baking soda/vinegar.

+1. My plumber recommended the vinegar and water treatment. Let the mixture sit for about 10 - 15 minutes, then flush with hot water for 5 minutes. He suggested doing this ever couple of months. I do it every month. It's inexpensive and I have had no drain problems since I began this regimen.

I simply don't have a problem with the sink drain in the bathroom clogging up. It can get slow because of hair caught on the stopper mechanism, but that's it. After every shave I rinse and wipe out the sink which puts more hot water down the drain, keeping it cleaned out. Never have needed to pull the p-trap.

Myself and others I know that do maintenance or plumbing work are against using drain cleaners as prophylactics for keeping drains clear. Many of those cleaners cause damage to the pipes over time, and are best used for a totally stopped up drain only. The vinegar and baking soda trick is the way to go, and the cheapest.

at the Hardware store go for the drain cleaner that comes in a bottle in a plastic bag it is a whole look better than liquid plmr. I know Menards has it. Also on the drain plunger it seems to catch a lot of hair I am in house with 3 daughters and wife how generate a lot of clogging of the sink have to clean quite regularly. un screw small nut on drain below pedestal sinks under counter and remove it and the lifting mechanism to clean out.

The easiest, safest method for unclogging a sink drain is to use a plunger. For multi-purpose sinks, plug up the unclogged drain, and add enough water to the clogged basin to cover the top of the plunger. Then work the plunger straight up and down over the drain to force the water through.

If you have females in the household, no matter their ages, you're going to have clogged drains. They'll treat the kitchen sink as a disposal, even if it isn't so equipped. They'll clog bathroom sinks and showers with hairballs and cosmetic residue. They'll use half a roll of toilet paper to wipe their tushies and clog up your sewage line. That can be lots of fun to fix, especially if you have a septic system and the blockage is at the septic tank inlet.

*sigh*

To correct some misinformation here, vinegar is just as much of an acid as the so-called 'chemicals' that people don't want to flush down the drain. It's just that acetic acid (vinegar) is generally only a 5-10% concentration for normal household vinegar, is a weak acid anyway, and so it's less damaging to the pipes. The only non-damaging solutions are hot water and amino acid/enzyme treatments. Newer houses, with all plastic pipes, won't be affected by liquid plumbr and similar.

For your sink, if you have a standard plunger stopper, reach under the sink and unscrew the nut holding the plunger lever. Pull that out, and the stopper will come out in your hand. It'll be what's trapping most of the hair and so forth. Scrape it off over your trash, or outside, and run hot water down the now open drain and the stopper. Don't worry too much about the open hole, it'll leak very little. Just screw it in if you're concerned. (leave the stopper out).

I have a full snake, which didn't cost much. At one point, in the tub, I pulled out an entire washcloth (small one), plus hair, plus a toothbrush - not ours. Must have been there for years from a previous tenant. I had a four foot snake of hair and everything else. I'll have to try to find that picture and post it. Many times, those 'zip' snakes won't reach the P-trap properly, or the plug just behind it, so be ready to get an actual six+ foot snake (you can also use it in a toilet to punch loose those enormous wads of toilet paper women are prone to use).

Top Bottom