What's new

Cleaning/Sterilizing an EBay razor

ERIC said:
If I wasn't a Dentist I would go to my dentist or someone elses dentist and ask them to autoclave them. This is what we do to our instruments. If you send them to me I'll do it for you. It would be no problem. Eric
Be very careful with the autoclave. I ran a few experiments with razors I didn't care about and the high temps will dull certain finishes like the colored metal handels on Gillette razors. This is why I now use Cidex Plus.

I worked off shore for a year or so & we ran a seawater distillation room that basically made fresh water from seawater. The thing was, it wasn't totally sterilized and each water fountain (& kitchen dispenser) had a syphon unit attached to it to pull drops of chlorine into any water that was for drinking/cooking...we used Clorox (& didn't drink shower water).

I had a damaged Fatboy that I disected (it gave it's life for the cause) The deep recesses of the hallow handle blocked by the bottom retaining nut was full of blueish green old soap scum. I've thought of using a water pick with a mouthwash hotwater mix to blast out the handle after the boil. Unfortunately old Gillettes were relatively cheap items that weren't designed to be disassembled, too much force can damage pressed together flanged fittings.
Anyone need silo doors and the stem for a 58 Fatboy?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Me? I just spit on it and rub it on my pants. Then again, I set my own bones and stiched up my brow a couple of times.:eek:

Where have all the men gone?:lol:

ouch said:
Me? I just spit on it and rub it on my pants. Then again, I set my own bones and stiched up my brow a couple of times.:eek:

Where have all the men gone?:lol:

I'm guessing you stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night?

Randy

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
If you want, I have a really nifty UV flashlight (another ridiculous, expensive hobby of mine) I can lend you. I guarantee you'll never stay in any hotel again.:lol:

B

BDK80

I usually boil razor for 10 minutes and give a good scrub with soap and hot water afterwards. Then spray with Scrubbing Bubbles and let that soak for 20 minutes. Afterwards, I use Barbicide which can be purchased at a beauty suppy shop such as Sally Beauty supplies. I usually soak the razor for 10 minutes, per reccomendation on bottle, up to 1 hour. Barbicide kills everything you could imagine, or at least thats how the bottle reads.

I have this idea buzzing in my head (but maybe it's not a good one).

What about using a small electric frier instead of an autoclave?

I see brand new smaller ones selling for about 15$ , and they should be able to get the oil and the submersed razor well above 150°C.That should work ok to get rid of all germs.

What are the possible shortcomings that i'm not considering?

The injectors I picked up at the antique shop are pretty dirty around the blade opening and I'd like to see if anyone has some good ideas about getting them clean. I have used softscrub and a toothbrush and am considering using the skewers to prop it open, but is there any other way to take it apart for cleaning (none of my razors have the u-shape metal thing to release the head)?

Also, can I use Maas on the gold head an not mess it up??? If not, any suggestions....this thing would look really good if polished up.

Rik said:
David The from SRP clued me into this method:

Take an old pot in the kitchen, line the bottom inside with aluminum foil about half-way up the sides. Fill the pot with water about two-thirds up the side and heat on a high burner. As the water warms, add one teaspoon of baking soda and one-half teaspoon of salt. When the water boils, drop in the open or disassembled DE into the pot and simmer for ten minutes.

I tried it on Gillette Fat Boy and it works great. However, this mixture is a lot more nasty than I imagined. I tried it with Gillette Super speed which is very light, so it is not made from stainless steel like Fat Boy and within a minute I noticed that the water was boring holes into the body of the handle and the blue painted tip was shedding paint. I immediately removed it.

Now, I am trying to clean Gillette Ladies razor and I wonder if this mixture would remove the bluish color from it? Has anybody tried to do that?

If the razor is made of light-weight materials or painted I'd go easy on the boiling water or chemicals.

I'm reminded of the time I immersed my trumpet in steaming hot water in the landlord's bathtub to clean the instrument--I'm betting there is still a ring of lacquer around that tub. She was not happy.:redface:

Gents,

What about finishing things off in the dishwasher? Mine's got a sanitze button... I put my toothbrush in there about once a week or too. I've been thinking of adding my razors also.

Tito

Tito said:
Gents,

What about finishing things off in the dishwasher? Mine's got a sanitize button... I put my toothbrush in there about once a week or too. I've been thinking of adding my razors also.

Tito

Do instructions that come with your toothbrush and razor say "dishwasher safe" ? :lol:

Here in Canada we've got a household cleaner called "CLR" it's used for descaling kettles, humidifiers etc. Have any of you folks used this as the first stage in cleaning an old DE razor? Thanks.

gzb10

Top Bottom