What's new

Cleaning DE razors

1. Wash with Dawn dish soap & old toothbrush, Q tips if required in side handle of old style razors(or wash in dish washer).
2. Polish with Flitz, Dremel with buffing wheel.
3. Sterilize with Barbicide & rinse.
4. Finish polish with polishing cloth.

Grave digging...
Anyone use Cape Cod polishing cloths? I use them for other metals but I'm wondering how they will work on my DEs... '67 Slim adjustable/Fat Boy/'47 Aristocrat/Merkur 50C (Progress)

Last edited:
Furthermore...
If I've cleaned a razor with Scrubbing Bubbles/Kaboom at least 3 times with a toothbrush... would it be safe to say that the razor is just dull from time? Or could there still be some kind of hardwater/soap scum/lime on the razor still? Just asking because I don't want to use my cape cod polish on top of some kind of gunk as I'm sure that would be undesirable.

Last edited:
Do you have flitz or maas to try? I'm sure there are those here with a lot more experience, but I can say that my razors with nickel plating were very dull until I used the flitz, even after several rounds of toothbrush/scrubbing bubbles/ultrasonic cleaner with surfactant.

The flitz made the cloth _very_ black.

Do you have flitz or maas to try? I'm sure there are those here with a lot more experience, but I can say that my razors with nickel plating were very dull until I used the flitz, even after several rounds of toothbrush/scrubbing bubbles/ultrasonic cleaner with surfactant.

The flitz made the cloth _very_ black.
Well I do not have Fitz on me at the moment being 12AM PST. I have cape cod and I'll give that a try tomorrow, unless you have some recommendations as to where I can acquire some Flitz/MAAS since that's what everyone here is using.

I picked up flitz at a local small hardware store. Maas is often carried by Ace hardware. You can get both online as well.

I have done what my father used to do with especially grungy razors.
Boil in plain water for 5 minutes or so - you'd be surprised at how most of the stuck on grunge comes off or loosens up. Rinse under tap water then clean with liquid dish soap and a soft toothbrush.
Rinse with water and dunk in alcohol or barbaside for about a minute then rinse again.
I don't think the last step is needed but my father always dunked the razor in alcohol as the last thing to do.
Then polish with a metal polish likel flitz and a soft cloth.
Never damaged a razor cleaning this way.

I have done what my father used to do with especially grungy razors.
Boil in plain water for 5 minutes or so - you'd be surprised at how most of the stuck on grunge comes off or loosens up. Rinse under tap water then clean with liquid dish soap and a soft toothbrush.
Rinse with water and dunk in alcohol or barbaside for about a minute then rinse again.
I don't think the last step is needed but my father always dunked the razor in alcohol as the last thing to do.
Then polish with a metal polish likel flitz and a soft cloth.
Never damaged a razor cleaning this way.
Great post

I use white vinegar to knock off soap build up. Norton’s universal cleaning stick is great for scraping.
upload_2019-2-12_23-4-56.png

Hot water and dish soap to finish the job.

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-12_23-4-56.jpeg
    upload_2019-2-12_23-4-56.jpeg
    44.1 KB · Views: 14
R

romsitsa

Depends on how stiff the brass wires are, but it will. Don’t even try it on silver or gold.

Adam

After 6 shaves with a razor (two blades) I soak the razor in dishwashing liquid for 10 minutes or so. Then use a soft bristled toothbrush. Then I rinse under fresh water and dab it with a towel.

Don't have any antique razors. I have a VDH butterfly, which I have owned for about 3 years, and once every 2 weeks, I fill the sink with hot tap water, and pour in a generous splash of mouthwash. I use an old toothbrush for the soap scum especially in the tight places, and rinse with hot tap water. Dry off with a clean towel, and it looks great. Shines right up! Just got a new Parker 91R, and its a week old. Did the same for it. Took it apart, used the toothbrush in the tight areas, rinsed in hot tap water, dried it with a towel. Looks like new! Soap scum likes to hang on, even with a thorough rinse after using. The mouthwash seems to really pick up the shine on the plating. Just my .02...

I use denture tablets in an Ultrasonic cleaner. 8 minutes of bubbles and let sit over night. Comes out clean and doesn't affect the blade between uses. For razors I pick up, I do that, then back in the cleaner in 91% Isopropanol and then, if needed a little scrub with Scrubbing Bubbles and a toothbrush then a rinse in the UT with plain water.

Grave digging...
Anyone use Cape Cod polishing cloths? I use them for other metals but I'm wondering how they will work on my DEs... '67 Slim adjustable/Fat Boy/'47 Aristocrat/Merkur 50C (Progress)
Yep, that's all I use to polish my vintage razors, after Dawn and a toothbrush.

Careful though, because if you are too aggressive the Cape Cod will remove gold wash. In the case of mine, most of the gold was already gone, I polished down to the brass. Here's some examples:

Edit: in response to a five- year-old post. 🙂

20220408_092041.jpg

Top Bottom