What's new

Cleaning DE razors

Hey.. Has anyone used a dremel to clean or polish their razor?

I can see using a dremel prior to replating or getting down to base metal as some folks like to do on NEW razor heads, but other then that, I never have. Soap and water to clean, Flitz and a rag to polish.

-jim

Well i meant more like using the buffing tool for shining it up. But i need to get me some flitz

I did assume that, but even with a buffing wheel loaded with fine grit, you can accidentally make it through the plating. hand power -vs- electric power makes all the difference!

-jim

I'm having trouble finding flitz locally, guess I'll have to order online... Anyone hear of a brand called Insta Finish? A car place i went to said they stopped carrying flitz and switched to this stuff. Not sure if it has abrasives or not.

I am a nurse with advanced foot care training and have access to awesome sterilization solution. 20 minute soak then rinse and safe to use again. It is a strong peroxide solution, most of my stuff is stainless but I have some less expensive chrome plated instruments that have survived it fine.
Just remember, some pathogens can live dormant for a VERY long time.

... and your basic soap and hot water will rinse then right off the SOLID METAL surface of your razor and down the drain.
I was actually just referring to when you first get a vintage razor that may not have been cleaned in 30 or 40 years. I wouldn't trust just a rinse in soap and hot water. That is just me though, maybe I am a little over zealous about these things, blame 25 years of training. You don't know who used that new old razor last...or where. I am not suggesting that you sterilize a razor that only you have used. I would be fired if I washed my instruments in just soap and water and then used them on the next person.

1 alchol soak
2 hippaclens
3 soapy h20
4 boling h20
5 head only quick dip bleach dilution
6 runse h20
7 Polish of your choice

I usually just use some rubbing alcohol. Once a week, I completely disassemble the razor and clean it with Scrubbing Bubbles and a toothbrush.

Scrubbing bubbles and an old toothbrush is perfect for my regular cleanings. If I let things get out of hand I will use Maas polish. NEVER a Dremel!

I was actually just referring to when you first get a vintage razor that may not have been cleaned in 30 or 40 years. I wouldn't trust just a rinse in soap and hot water. That is just me though, maybe I am a little over zealous about these things, blame 25 years of training. You don't know who used that new old razor last...or where. I am not suggesting that you sterilize a razor that only you have used. I would be fired if I washed my instruments in just soap and water and then used them on the next person.

1. Soak in hot tap water and dish soap.
2. Scrub with old tooth brush.
3. Fresh hot tap water and dish soap, soak over night.
4. Rinse with hot tap water.
5. Apply non-bleach Scrubbing Bubbles. Wait scrub with old toothbrush.
6. Rinse with hot tap water and dish soap.
7. Final rinse. Good to go (alien spores aside)

If you are really paranoid then the best solution is to have it stripped and replated.

Then the only concern are the hands of the person doing the replating and shipping. :001_rolle

I got 2 gold plated Schick injectors and a Gem. I read everywhere that using brush on gold plating could strip plating, so I soaked them in hot soapy(Dawn) water for 1 hour. Repeated this 2 times. Each time the water had so much gunk. Razors looked nice and clean after 3rd soak. I have Klasse car polish+cleaner, so tried it. cleaned up all the leftover dirt from soaking and gold plating is shiny and smooooth to touch(should help with glide:laugh:). I suppose any cleaner wax for car should work similarly.

I am bit of a germophobe. So I picked up a bottle of Hydrocide for 4 bucks at my local Sally's. All set.

Last edited:
Vintage razors get a soak in hot, soapy water for an hour or so, a good scrubbing with an old toothbrush, a heavy shot of Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner, more toothbrush action, a rinse in hot clear water, and then a dip in rubbing alcohol. If needed, Flitz or Simichrome polish is hand-applied and hand-buffed to remove any stains or light scratches. If there are any nasties left on the razor after that, then I'll just take my chances.

There's a product for cleaning Espresso Machine portafilters, which can get very dirty and grimy from baked-in coffee oils. It obliterates the junk very quickly and effectively without dulling the shiny plated exterior surface. I plan on trying it on my next second-hand razor acquisition. The product is called Cafisa made by Urnex Brands. I believe it's a mild TSP powder with some detergent added.

MASS is a metal cleaner/polisher/protector in one silver tube. Works on all metals, really good product.
Hope that helps.

ps: I used it on my Harley, so I trust it not to damage any metal finish.

Mikey

Top Bottom